• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Dean Blundell Show Cancelled

JamesM

TRIBE Member
After this week’s statement by Corus Entertainment, I took a few days to think about the situation I find myself in. I want to take this opportunity to set the record straight.

I’ve been on the radio for 13 years, talking to people across the GTA every morning. Over the course of 4000+ shows and more than 19500 hours live on the air, I’ve taken funny, controversial and sometimes inappropriate humour to every corner of the city, poked fun of everything and everyone – including myself, often – and learned a heck of a lot along the way.

Management at Corus Entertainment chose this week to end The Dean Blundell Show, citing a desire to return to a more music-focused morning format.

As a result of this decision, there have been claims in other corners that I am homophobic and that is what led to the end of my show. Let me state unequivocally that I am not a homophobe.

If you do something every single day, for as long as I have, making a career out of pushing the envelope and being inappropriate at times, there are bound to be differences of opinion that arise. I respect that. But I am not a homophobe.

Over the 13 years I have been live on the radio, I consistently had guests on from the LGBT community. I did not discriminate on my show. I made fun of everything and everyone, and was encouraged to do so with the brand of entertainment we were employed to deliver. I have always been supportive of my gay friends, and of the gay community.

I will have much more to say about this unfortunate situation in the coming weeks.

Finally, I want to once again thank everyone who has supported me through this challenging time. It has been my honour to be a part of so many peoples’ mornings for 13 years, and the thousands of you who have sent messages of support have meant a great deal.
Dean Blundell » Official Website

I totally loved "what happened?" I really enjoyed the shitshow. He managed it well. I met him once at real sports during a maple leafs get together for charity (the leafs would sign your hardhats, and you get to chill with them), and he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Say what you will about Dean Blundell/Billie/Todd/etc...they were easily the most interesting thing on Toronto Morning Radio. Every other morning show/was is pretty much whitewashed and ballwashing for the corporate advertisers. He was the only one pushing the envelope.

Now it's pretty much all rubbish, except Tom Power on CBC Radio 2.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Resolver

TRIBE Member
Say what you will about Dean Blundell/Billie/Todd/etc...they were easily the most interesting thing on Toronto Morning Radio. Every other morning show/was is pretty much whitewashed and ballwashing for the corporate advertisers. He was the only one pushing the envelope.
J
Now it's pretty much all rubbish, except Tom Power on CBC Radio 2.
Youre right Toby! They now have Fearless Fred and co. In the mornings and its conservatively awful! Even Psychic Niki split to be on Humble and Fred in the mornings. I guess the people who despise Dean are the ones with the really small dicks. Poor guys!)

Deans already doing car commercials and Todd is doing radio appearances and expos. Theyll find another airwave eventually. Nothing last forever especially if you have bureaucratic bitches listening to every word you say.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
the only good thing about dean's "show" was wha happen and whats wrong with you
other than that it was him bitching and moaning or bullying

they should keep wha happen. fearless fred is horribly bad

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i used to listen to the dean blundell show on my drive to work every morning. i only have AM/FM radio in my winter car and prefer to listen to talking during my 12 - 15 min drive. admittedly, a lot of the show was horrible and unfunny, but it's the most entertaining thing i could find on the radio at that hour.

if they find a home at another station, i will tune in.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Listeners abandon 102.1 The Edge after Dean Blundell dumped over homophobic comments - The Globe and Mail

Listeners are fleeing 102.1 The Edge after the Toronto radio station split with the popular morning shock jock Dean Blundell.

The Corus-owned station’s morning market share among men aged 18 to 49 is down almost half since January 6, when the station announced it was ending Blundell’s on-air run of almost 13 years in favour of what it called a “return to a more music-based format.” Listenership among that valuable demographic fell from 12 per cent last month to 6.6 per cent in recent weeks, according to the most recent ratings data available.

“I’ve never seen that before,” Blundell said during an interview late Thursday afternoon, in his first public comments to the news media since his departure. “It’s too bad this has happened. There are lots of good people at that establishment.”

He added: “It’s just a shame, because we had a very long and happy history for 13 years communicating with our listeners. They were my lifeblood.”

Calls and e-mails to Corus seeking comment were not returned.

Blundell regularly ranked as the number-one morning DJ among men aged 18 to 49. As recently as last summer, his show claimed a market share above 14 per cent.

The cancellation of the show came after a three-week suspension of Blundell and his co-host and producer Derek Welsman, over homophobic jokes Welsman made on air about serving as the jury foreman on a trial in which a gay man was found guilty of sexually assaulting three men he met at a Toronto bathhouse.

Days after leaving The Edge, Blundell issued a statement on his website declaring that he is not a homophobe.

Since then, Blundell’s 5:30-9 am time slot has been occupied by Fearless Fred, an afternoon drive-time DJ who had filled in for Blundell during the suspension. The station has said it is searching for a permanent replacement.

acheron

TRIBE Member
anyone got access to the ratings report? I'd like to see how much of a bump 88.1 has received in the same period.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
I sorta LOL over statements that hoards of listeners abandoned the show over the homophobic statements. Wasn't homophobia an almost daily occurrence on the show?

acheron

TRIBE Member
that was what ultimately got him fired, not (exclusively) what drove listeners away. Straw that broke the camel's back.

Now that 102.1 has no morning show to speak of, the departure of listeners has increased dramatically because people do still want a morning crew to listen to. The writing was on the wall for Blundell for quite some time, the complaints were likely bringing Corus far too much negative attention from the CRTC, as well as from advertisers (perhaps most importantly).

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Yeah but they did this for 13 years. I find it interesting that our municipal government turned into a dean blundell shitshow, while the airwaves were sensored.

Seems like a 180.

acheron

TRIBE Member
They didn't change but the times did. The audience has matured but Blundell didn't change with it.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
fair enough. Man, remember when people were cool? we're old. Then they changed what cool was!

oeretS

TRIBE Member
to be fair, there are factors that reduce radio listeners across the board around this time of year and make the Globe article somewhat misleading. The holidays are terrible for radio audiences and the ice storm would also produce a negative effect.

Ratings periods are 12 weeks, not 4, so personally I would wait a bit to draw conclusions from the Dean fiasco. Happy he's off the air though

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
And the 88.1 factor, especially since they received their signal boost, they've surely been eating into 102.1's audience, no?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories