• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the dead zone

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
This place is underloved and what? only a sounding board for mix sharing?

Some stuff I've been listening to of late..

deaf_center_320.jpg

deaf center - neon city

ghpoirier.jpg

ghislain poirier - sous le manguier

tinkertoy.jpg

vague terrain 02: digital detritus: tinkertoy

82.jpg

battles - c ep (aka the tras ep)

I'm not sure if you could call most of battles stuff downtempo, but it certainly ain't rock and roll. ;)

What are you cats listening to?

,g

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
seeker said:
is that ghislain poirier worth all the hype?

Well, yeah. Why not?

His new cd, "Breakupdown" is getting a lot of hype.

He's also been hosting clubnights around town here in Mtl that apparently are doing really well...

I've been too pre-occupied to check them out of late, but last I saw him spin at Blizzarts, 'twas a good show...

He's a really cool and accessable guy, too.

justin surdit

TRIBE Member
gsnuff said:
What are you cats listening to?

,g

just picked up the Coldcut - Sound Mirrors disc........

coldcut.jpg

very diverse, lots of collabs, almost every track has a guest vocalist - the standout tracks are "true skool" feat. Roots Manuva (one of the dopest beats created in the past few years), "walk a mile in my shoes" feat. Robert Owens (has a gospel feel), and "Mr. Nichols" feat. Saul Williams (as ususal, Saul's spoken word speaks for itself). the album is quite a divergence from their usual production sound - this cuts across many different styles (more like one of their mix sets).

all in all, it is a pretty solid album. there are only a couple of tracks I end up skipping when i listen to the album.

justin surdit

TRIBE Member
Although it is not "electronic" downtempo, Brushfire Fairytales by Jack Johnson is one disc that hasn't left my regular rotation in some time. To me, it's modern folk music and has that "campfire headphase" that I love so much.

jackjohnson_e.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
i love that "sous le mongier"

Lovely textures, always puts me in an interesting, reflective mood... hard to describe right now for some reason (getting stir crazy @ work), but its awesome!

Havent heard too much else from him I confess, but now I think Im gonna look around - anything else to recommend from him gsnuff?

isnt he playing around here sometime soon?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
praktik said:
Havent heard too much else from him I confess, but now I think Im gonna look around - anything else to recommend from him gsnuff?
Breakupdown on Chocholate Industries is what you want to track down. Crunchy beats not unlike Push Button Objects was releasing way back when on the same label, but more Timbaland then Miami.

My only beef w/ Poirier's hip hop production is that it's a bit inconsistant and has the obligatory bad french MC guest apperances that all Quebecois hip-hop album must have. His 12K and intr_version ambient/soundscape albums are more consistant, if not as fun...

,g