1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Dead Rising 2 Thread of infectious zombies

Discussion in 'Technology' started by KodiaK, Sep 25, 2010.

1. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

i snagged my copy from a flea market earlier today.

i already put 4 hours into the game so far. Beat case zero a while ago and got the good ending, imported my lvl 5 character into the start of 2.

so what do you want to know so far peoples?

2. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I'm going to wait till this game goes down in price, so I should be getting this game in a years time lol. I heard the frame rate gets a little choppy at times. Have you tested out the MP mode?

3. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I can't wait for Tuesday!

Already told the wife I'll be killing Zombies all week...so she's prepared.

4. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

I like it so far. Has much of the same feeling as DR1, and combining tools makes for some good laughs and a nifty xp bonus. I thought you could combine anything together, but I guess you need to find these cards which tell you what items to combine.

Was a big fan of the first game and so far this one is delivering the same goods.

5. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

you dont need the cards before you make weapons. You need the cards for the 'alt attack' for the extra PP however.

havent really had the frame rate drop or go choppy on me yet. Maybe it has on the driving sequences, but really havent noticed it.

Yes there's Co Op on xbox live, havent tried it out yet.

6. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Played it for a couple hours last night.

First hour was all solo, got to the end of mission 1-2 and then joined a friend for some co-op.

One thing that bugs me is that when you join a co-op game, if you aren't hosting, you can't progress your story, you can only gain cash and PP. Could be used pretty well for some power-levelling though. I may just randomly join online games and kill zombies for PP so I can waltz my way through my solo campaign.

Also, I don't like that when you level, it randomly assigns you stat points. I wanted to beef up my speed attribute but I'm already level 3 and have yet to get an extra point while my buddy is level 4 and has 3 points in it.

I'm not sure if I like the timer as well...it seems too fast to allow for any exploration. It keeps you on a pretty strict linear path.

Plus checking your watch doesn't pause the game.

Killing zombies is uber-fun though. Can't wait to continue tonight.

7. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I wouldn't say this game is anything mind blowing it kind of feels like you're doing the same thing a lot, and their isn't too much verity in game play IMO. So far I'm getting from this game you go out and save people which give you PP, find books to upgrade your skills and level up by using weapons that gain you PP. Also getting your daughter and other people Zombex(sp?). I can play this game in spurts, which is not a bad thing but in no way would I say this game is epic I think it's far from it.

8. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Ok I played for 2 hours yesterday....keep forgetting to save.

I have taken auto-save points for granted.

Killed a couple psychos. They're fun fights to learn the patterns for.

Got to [spoil]the fight with the twins[/spoil] and hadn't saved (and died fast!) so I got frustrated and left for the night.

Day 2 is full of fun stuff and as you level up, the game gets more fun.

9. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I don't play this game all the way through I will do it by missions because just like you I forget to save, and get to mad to play the mission again.

10. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

Yeah after digging into it, I really think this game is a pile of shite. Avoid.

11. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

beat the game earlier today and got the S ending.

great game. Guess you all suck at saving or something.

12. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

LOL yep I can admit when I suck at saving. The thing that kills me about the game is how repetitive the game is. That along with my lack of skill of saving in the game has not made me a fan, but I can see if you want a zombie killing game this is it because that's all you do. I heard there was several endings to this game, which I think is cool. Does anyone have a FAQ on how to achieve those?

13. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

Well it looks like the way you get the different endings is how you treat the ending of the game. You have to do the right events at the end of the game in order to achieve them... Makes sense.

14. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

15. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

Really not a fan of this one. Reasons:

-The mall encourages exploration, but too many grabby zombies and too little time squashes the opportunity
    -Boss fights are hard and repetitive. I hate games where boss fights require many attempts until you "get" the pattern
    -Machine guns are useless. May as well use a water gun
    -If you don't watch time carefully, you'll either have to go to an earlier save if you're lucky, or restart the game if you're unlucky
    -Far too many load screens. Installing the game to the hard drive makes it somewhat bearable
    -Weapons bust apart far too quickly
    -After that, the next item automatically goes in your use slot. In the heat of battle you'll use up health, key weapons, queen bees, etc. inadvertently
    -Some animations and sound effects ported over from the first game. Lazy.
    -Urgent messages that bug your ass when you're in the heat of battle

Those are the things off the top of my head. Any enjoyment of hacking apart zombies is quickly lost by all the endless annoyances. I don't recall playing a game in recent memory that feels like so much work. There's no feeling of flow whatsoever.

Bah. After all this time I was hoping for major improvements over the first. Other than co-op and combining weapons, it's turned out to be a major disappointment.

16. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

the machine gun isnt useless.

try combining it with the robot bear or the electric wheelchair. Youll see how 'useless' they are soon enough :)

you dont kill zombies with the guns, save them for the psychos. On some of them, the LMG tears them up, like slappy.

go get some magazines to extend the life of some weapons.

It's amazing how frustrated people get with the game when they start playing it, they have some sort of different expectation of how the game is going to play.

did none of you play case zero or the first game? i mean you pretty much knew what you were going to get.

17. MOD ONE

MOD ONE TRIBE Member

I have never played the first one, but I take it I'm wasn't missing much.

18. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

It's the psychos I was saving the machine guns for: the skinny dude in the bathroom and the fatty with the chainsaw. Not so much of a sliver of health taken off. Astonishing, how fast fatty can sprint while sporting a giant chainsaw and gut. I guess I'll try your combining suggestions.

Didn't try Case Zero, but I did play through the first game to completion, multiple times. With all the time it took to develop the sequel, I was really hoping they'd fix a lot of the annoyances to craft a truly epic zombie game.