• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Da Vinci Code (2006) movie thread...

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Hopefully, I'll see the new Ron Howard movie starring Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou before opening night worldwide May 19, 2006. I'd better score some sneak preview tickets for this movie.

I'm getting all hyped up because I just finished downloading the almost 17 hours unabridged spoken word audio book.:cool: I'm too lazy and somewhat busy this month to read it before the movie comes out. LOL

Any thoughts on the upcoming movie? Discuss.


Here's the Tribe link to the actual book thread:

http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/showthread.php?t=58447&highlight=vinci+code
 
Last edited:

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
i JUST finished reading da vinci last weekend....wow! i'm a slow reader but i FLEW through it.

so what do you think of some of the casting?

i think hanks and tautou are great choices for langdon & neveu. originally i thought ian mckellan was set to play sauniere...but given how big of a role teabing plays in the book i suppose he's better in that role.

how did you picture silas? you think paul bettany is suited for him? i also think alfred molina looks like a great fit for aringarosa.

i'm SOOO excited! if anyone comes across sneak preview tix please let me know!!!
 

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
while I'm reading this thread I'm being shot at, falling in love and wondering how many people recognize the significance of the christian calender and it's links to antiquity.

also I have stinkfoot.
 

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
I think making The Da Vinci Code into a movie is a great idea. Dan Brown is a struggling author and the exposure he will get from having his unknown novel turned into a major motion picture can only help his career.

,g
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I am about 50 pages away from the end of the book. I can't wait for this movie to come out.

IMO great casting all around. I only hope they dont hack it up to much when making this into a film like they did with Clive Cusslers Sahara.
 

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
gsnuff said:
I think making The Da Vinci Code into a movie is a great idea. Dan Brown is a struggling author and the exposure he will get from having his unknown novel turned into a major motion picture can only help his career.

,g
Excellent!


I am looking forward to seeing the movie, I enjoyed the book although I feel Gabriel Byrne would have been a much better choice for Langdon than Tom Hanks.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
To be totally honest I am excited for this movie to come out, but I almost would have rathered Angels and Demons be turned into a movie. I really enjoyed that story.
 

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:
I hope the movie is better and more challenging than the book

Again, as it has already been beaten to death, the book is not designed to be challenging it is designed to give you 3 page chapters with a cliff hanger at the end of every one of them so you will keep reading. And it succeeds in doing so.

If you want a challenge I would suggest Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco... it is a classic and is quite challenging.
 

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Fillmore said:
To be totally honest I am excited for this movie to come out, but I almost would have rathered Angels and Demons be turned into a movie. I really enjoyed that story.
i'm glad to hear this is good...it's one of my upcoming books to read...
 

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Fillmore said:
To be totally honest I am excited for this movie to come out, but I almost would have rathered Angels and Demons be turned into a movie. I really enjoyed that story.

"Angels and Demons Revealed" is a bit misleading. This documentary goes into great detail regarding the historical background of several prominent secret societies that have appeared and disappeared throughout history including the Illuminati, Freemasons, The Knights Templar, the Assassins, and the Priory of Sion. These secret brotherhoods have often been credited with, or accused of, working behind the scenes of international affairs to influence the course of human history. The evidence for this, however, is often slim and ellusive.

The biggest problem with this documentary, however, is that it really has nothing at all to do with the book "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown other than it deals with the history of the Illuminati and the Knights Templar. Both of these groups were very real, but the film puts a hugely biased slant on the story, choosing to portray them as evil underground organizations working to enslave mankind. It makes no mention of the fact that the Illuminati were themselves created in the late 18th century to promote knowledge and reason over church dominated superstition which had hindered these very Enlightenment virtues. And like the Illuminati, the Prior of Sion, if it ever truly existed, was alledged to have worked toward a similar and laudable goal. Hence it is reputed to have attracted the leading and most promising minds of their day: Issac Newton, Leonardo Da Vinci, Francis Bacon, and Benjamin Franklin. Whether or not the Priory ever actually existed is open to debate and the evidence is not encouraging. The film, however, makes great efforts to link these groups together and to paint them as part of a diabolical plan to create the dreaded New World Order. Would such men as Franklin, Hugo, and Debussy really work to create a sinister and opressive world regime? Questionable at best.

This documentary is interesting for its portrayals of the various secret societies that it investigates, but many of its conclusions are seemingly biased and highly questionable. It also, disappointingly, had little to do with the highly enjoyable novel that it purports to "reveal".


"Angels & Demons Revealed" - 2004




... not really looking forward to Da Vinci Code... it's going to be another 'National Treasure' imo. *yawn*
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
patri©k said:
"Angels and Demons Revealed" is a bit misleading. This documentary goes into great detail regarding the historical background of several prominent secret societies that have appeared and disappeared throughout history including the Illuminati, Freemasons, The Knights Templar, the Assassins, and the Priory of Sion. These secret brotherhoods have often been credited with, or accused of, working behind the scenes of international affairs to influence the course of human history. The evidence for this, however, is often slim and ellusive.

The biggest problem with this documentary, however, is that it really has nothing at all to do with the book "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown other than it deals with the history of the Illuminati and the Knights Templar. Both of these groups were very real, but the film puts a hugely biased slant on the story, choosing to portray them as evil underground organizations working to enslave mankind. It makes no mention of the fact that the Illuminati were themselves created in the late 18th century to promote knowledge and reason over church dominated superstition which had hindered these very Enlightenment virtues. And like the Illuminati, the Prior of Sion, if it ever truly existed, was alledged to have worked toward a similar and laudable goal. Hence it is reputed to have attracted the leading and most promising minds of their day: Issac Newton, Leonardo Da Vinci, Francis Bacon, and Benjamin Franklin. Whether or not the Priory ever actually existed is open to debate and the evidence is not encouraging. The film, however, makes great efforts to link these groups together and to paint them as part of a diabolical plan to create the dreaded New World Order. Would such men as Franklin, Hugo, and Debussy really work to create a sinister and opressive world regime? Questionable at best.

This documentary is interesting for its portrayals of the various secret societies that it investigates, but many of its conclusions are seemingly biased and highly questionable. It also, disappointingly, had little to do with the highly enjoyable novel that it purports to "reveal".


"Angels & Demons Revealed" - 2004




... not really looking forward to Da Vinci Code... it's going to be another 'National Treasure' imo. *yawn*

Yes, but it has Forrest Gump. Decode Forrest, Decode.
 

beaker

TRIBE Member
i can't believe so many people are excited over:

a) a movie with tom hanks in it
b) a movie made from such a piece of shit book
 

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
I think it is what it. It is no War and Peace it is more like Maxim Magaizine presents Tuesday night literature.

But as I said I liked it. I received a University degree in English literature and have read more than my share of high brow classical lit. I feel there is a place for this kind of stuff along with Ludlum, Grisham and Brittany Spears... just not too much.
 

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
I thought the book had a great story but the execution was really poor...and it seemed like it was written with a movie adaptation in mind. So I think the movie could actually be worthy. But Tom Hanks? Bleh. So boring and Robert Langdon is supposed to be ATTRACTIVE.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Spinsah said:
My sentiments exactly.

This book has been atop the populist idiot list for far too long.
Did it ever occour to you that different people may have different tastes in such things?
 

zorak

TRIBE Member
can i be the one first to say: I can't believe Tom Hanks gets to kiss Audrey Tautou. That is what's wrong with America.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top