• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Curry Thread

swilly

TRIBE Member
right so i am curry fanatic but i am kinda getting bored of the pataks curry paste stuff. As it is not hot enough. How does one go about making actual curry. I would imagine it is a combination of cumin, coriander and other spices but in what proporations and what else is needed. I want something with a tandorri flavor but hot as a vindaloo.
Also perhaps a Vindaloo with a more creamy taste. I tried adding cream to the curry paste and mixing it in, but the milk sorta neutralized the hot spices of the Vindaloo

ok lets have the reciepes please
cheers

William Lavell
President of the Univeristy of waterloo Aboriginal students Association
"Defender of the Faith and leader of the red"

Last edited:

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
You could always buy different pastes or powders.
I don't know how to make the actual curry from scratch.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Dirtymatt

TRIBE Member
You need to use a variety of spices depending on which type of curry you want, ie a korma, biriyani, bhuna etc. Normally, I would use turmeric, cumin, coriander, amongst others. You can also buy some curry powder to use as the base and then add other hotter spices to improve the spicyness.

dirtymatt

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by wayne kenoff
Try using tabasco to make it hotter.
i wouldn't do this. tobasco is basically vinegar and hot red peppers, it does not contain the right kind of spice used in indian flavouring and will make things hotter but more pungent and they'll taste all wrong.

go to an indian food store and talk to the owners about what kinds of spices they have. good ones to start with would be some ground cumin, coriander, mustard seed, red chili (ground), turmeric, cardamom, garam masala. should probably invest in a mortar and pestle for the ones that come in whole seed form.
also get some ghee (clarified butter) for your base (to use instead of oil or butter)

internet should have some decent recipes as well.

Last edited:

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Garam Masala (lots)
nutmeg
seasoning salt
cumin
tumeric
paprika
curry powder
lime
tomato paste (optional)

TILT_Lance

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Garam Masala (lots)
nutmeg
seasoning salt
cumin
tumeric
paprika
curry powder
lime
tomato paste (optional)
im just curious

why tomato paste......tomatoe pastes sauces ketchup or whatnot mask the flavour of everything and curry is supposed to be a flavour if not enhance one......i understand you said its optional but i think its not important at all for what he is loking for in flavour

MoFo

TRIBE Member
It makes it red and a bit tart and thick. That's all.

You know how there's red curries? Yeah. That's an easy way. I mean, you CAN just crush chilis and tomatoes yourself.

TILT_Lance

TRIBE Member
yes i understand that but why not use paprika which isn't for flavour per se but for colour.....i just find tomatoe flavours take away form everything

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I never use it. But it's optional if you feel like a tomato-y curry. My Indian coworker uses it.
And so does Vinder's mum if I'm not mistaken.

TILT_Lance

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
I never use it. But it's optional if you feel like a tomato-y curry. My Indian coworker uses it.
And so does Vinder's mum if I'm not mistaken.
well i personally wouldn't

however i would never argue with vinder's mom because i am positive and im not being snarky about it but im positive that she would know much much better than i how to make an amazing curry

orgnlbrkr

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TILT_Lance
yes i understand that but why not use paprika which isn't for flavour per se but for colour.....i just find tomatoe flavours take away form everything
Tomato is a base in a lot of curry recipes.....using tomato paste is no different.... it's just concentrated so you use a lot less of it then say adding a can of diced tomatoes.....

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swilly
right so i am curry fanatic but i am kinda getting bored of the pataks curry paste stuff. As it is not hot enough. How does one go about making actual curry.
William Lavell
Go into the dinner thread- see Ibrad's post- he seems to be hardcore in that he grinds his own.

Me- I just add to the Pataks sometimes. But it also depends on the *type* of Indian flavour you're looking for. Funnily enough- all ethinicities seem to have variations on this combination of spices to differing degrees- Cajun, Carribean, Chinese 5 spice..
--J
*Hobo's family loves to see the white girl eatin' zee spice :D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member

ok lets have the reciepes please
cheers

William Lavell
dude. you know i am the curry master. it's been proven. just email me :)

djtk

TRIBE Member
I tried adding cream to the curry paste and mixing it in, but the milk sorta neutralized the hot spices of the Vindaloo

try using coconut milk (just a bit).

slingshot

TRIBE Member
Any Sri Lankans on the board?

I want to learn how to make a fine Tamarind Curry!

ss

p.s. Swilly - try any of the wonderful Thai curry pastes - they kick it up a notch or two.