• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The cost of cancelling the Oakville gas-fired generating plant $1.1 billion

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
TORONTO - The cost of cancelling the Oakville gas-fired generating plant is an astronomical $1.1 billion, the Sun has learned.

This brings the cost to scrap the Oakville plant as well as the Mississauga one to an astonishing $1.6 billion.

In an audit report obtained by Sun Media prior to the 2 p.m. lock-up, provincial auditor Bonnie Lysyk estimates the costs of gas delivery and management services to move the plant to Napanee at $577 million.

On top of that, are the costs of reimbursing Trans Canada Energy, the company building the plant, for its initial purchase of gas turbines for the Oakville plant and modifications totallying $36 million, as well as ECE's sunk costs and legal fees are are estimated at $253 million.

Other costs incurred to break the deal include $577 million for the cost of gas delivery and management services for the Napanee plant; $43 million for gas and hydro connections for the Napanee plant; additional gas for less efficient turbines - $35 million; Transmission system upgrades - $81 million; line losses for the distance power has to travel from Napanee - $32 million; replacement power beginning in 2017 - $91 million.

Oakville gas plant cancellation cost $1.1 billion | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

Burning the money could have heated more homes I reckon.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
All political parties had promised to cancel the deal. Unfortunately for the Liberals, it was their decision to make and they must own it.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I would like to ban these cancellations - while I've thought some shit was stupid, i'd rather have some creaky submarines, or an eglinton subway and a flawed gas plant, than have nothing and pay cancellation fees w/ nothing to show for it

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
really, 3 replies is all

wow

What can you say? The money's gone and not one of these corrupt and incompetent politicians will be charged with anything.

Dalton McGuinty and his associates should be thrown in jail and their government pensions garnished to recoup some of the money. Instead, McGuinty will probably get a seat in the Senate, become Ambassador to Switzerland, or get a teaching position at Harvard.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
This hits hard because I liked their platform. Transit, density, green energy... everything I wanted. Now we're left with a legacy worse than the 407 fiasco.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
I would rather not have shit-ass subs.

We have one of the most professional fighting forces in the world, small as it is.

Their kit should reflect that.

And yeah...the gas plant's another bungled government whackadoo. We have many of them that can be pointed out.

The only thing we can do is vote.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
What can you say? The money's gone and not one of these corrupt and incompetent politicians will be charged with anything.

Dalton McGuinty and his associates should be thrown in jail and their government pensions garnished to recoup some of the money. Instead, McGuinty will probably get a seat in the Senate, become Ambassador to Switzerland, or get a teaching position at Harvard.
Why? He said in the debates they would cancel them, Hudak said the same thing it's too late for lynch mobbing.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
I would rather not have shit-ass subs.
Ya me too - but I'd still prefer to have SOMETHING, rather than piling a ton of money up and lighting it on fire with NOTHING to show for it...

We could at least recoup some costs by reselling or by turning them into survivalist tubes that people can bury in their remote acreages in prep for doomsday.

Doomsday preppers got cash yo

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of reasons. Some of which are:

• Breach of the public trust
  • abuse of the public funds
  • using taxpayer dollars earmarked for an energy project for an election campaign, over and above the maximum campaign spending amounts
  • bypassing the normal government processes (studying and analysis of potential new areas for a moved power plant) to relocate the plant to Napanee with a backroom political decision
  • attempting to conceal or hide data and emails to cover up this fiasco
  • closing down the legislature to hide the sheer cost of the plant cancellation from the opposition and the public

And I am not even including running away like a little girl instead of standing up like a man to face the truth of the matter (not a criminal act, but it speaks to Dalton McGuinty's character.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I highly doubt any of the other parties would have handled this differently. They're all spineless in the face of irate taxpayers.

We should be angry at Oakville and Mississauga's fine residents for starting this whole mess.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
We should be angry at Oakville and Mississauga's fine residents for starting this whole mess.
I disagree, it was stated from the outset that this was the wrong place and they would fight to have it removed. The meetings were well attended, the politico's can't say they didn't know. They simply ignored the residents and then turned it into a political platform, which other parties used also to gain votes.

They should have just went ahead as they're going to lose the next election anyway.

acheron

TRIBE Member
the only thing I'm pissed about is that the government didn't have the balls to just jam the plants in there, fuck the residents cuz we ALL need cleaner power. Not like it was going to be a nuke plant or a coal plant.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Up until a few days ago I've always been putting the blame on the government for making the decision to put the gas plants in those locations in the first place, that's what we should be focusing on. Cancelling them was the right thing to do.

Ask the PCs or NDPs if they would have let those plants be built and watch them squirm.

But now finding out that Dalton paid penalties to make them quickly go away when he could have not paid any penalties at all is mind blowing.

There's rumblings now from high profile lawyers and business leaders that someone should go after the gas companies to get the money back because they took the money in bad faith.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Up until a few days ago I've always been putting the blame on the government for making the decision to put the gas plants in those locations in the first place, that's what we should be focusing on. Cancelling them was the right thing to do.

Ask the PCs or NDPs if they would have let those plants be built and watch them squirm.

But now finding out that Dalton paid penalties to make them quickly go away when he could have not paid any penalties at all is mind blowing.

There's rumblings now from high profile lawyers and business leaders that someone should go after the gas companies to get the money back because they took the money in bad faith.

I don't disagree but good luck getting even a penny back. it's a lost cause and Dalton made it worse by taking a win by any means necessary approach.
politicians need to be more accountable for their actions.

we have a mayor we can't get rid of even thought he's had several legal challenges brought forward with regards to his self governance which will one day put municipal tax payers footing the bill for something
and
a Premier who played with the public purse while ignoring his fiduciary duty to the tax payer. All so his party could be re-elected.

IMO the Liberal party should be held responsible not just dalton and should be forced to pay every cent back with interest.

praktik

TRIBE Member
No need, old school buses work just fine.
I think the subs would have better living conditions - they're designed to make a small space livable!

School bus would mean more internal renovating

Plus you may have the benefit of a better shell to protect you from assault/the environment

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
I love the double standard: spineless in the face of taxpayers, but they never listen to taxpayers.

This whole power plant issue is a shit show, don't get me wrong, but most people are mad for the wrong reasons.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Now we're left with a legacy worse than the 407 fiasco.
not even close. The Conservatives sold the 407 lease for $3 billion. It's valued @ $9 billion (and that will go up as traffic gets worse).

As it stands now we could cancel those 2 gas plants 6 times before it approaches the level of cluster-fuck that is the 407. And this isn't even factoring in the Harris government filling the under construction eglinton subway line with dirt.

just to put provincial fuck-ups in perspective.

Phat Buddha

TRIBE Member

Hudak on election eve say he'd stop gas plant even if it cost over 2billion..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgcIskOvzcg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

praktik

TRIBE Member
not even close. The Conservatives sold the 407 lease for $3 billion. It's valued @ $9 billion (and that will go up as traffic gets worse).

As it stands now we could cancel those 2 gas plants 6 times before it approaches the level of cluster-fuck that is the 407. And this isn't even factoring in the Harris government filling the under construction eglinton subway line with dirt.

Sprinkle a bit of ecoli water on top of that and you have a real Shitfecta

basketballjones

TRIBE Member

it is valued NOW at 9 billion, back then that was a great deal for a debt ridden prov.

add in ehealth, ornge, green energy, health levy(tax), the fact they tried everything they could to not allow anyone to see any of the gas plant materials and lied at every turn im pretty sure the libs are the kings of scandal

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders