• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The COPS are too much thread

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Nevada Police Beat Man Going Into Diabetic Shock AnonHQ
the video is almost too funny to watch. severely conflicting commands yelled by the first cop. then, complete goonery.
The diabetic was 38-year-old Adam Greene, who then sued the state of Nevada for $158,000 from the city and $35,000 from the state. His wife also received an additional $99,000 from the city.

Know what would stop a good chunk of these brutal stops ?
Complete accountability for the officers involved, and no taxpayer money going to the settlement. instead, take it out of the Police's budget. ( which i do understand still comes from taxpayer moneys ).

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I don't think that it's so much that they're pussies as much as it is that the police members involved are pissed that they aren't treated with such reverence and "respect" by others.

From my own experience, there are some police officers that feel that anything less than complete and total compliance is the least they expect - they feel that any sign of disagreement is viewed as disrespectful. I've often heard those particular police members as "well, at least we're not North Korea? Is that what you want?" as some kind of valid argument when they're criticized for their actions.

I can sympathize with their job to a certain degree - it's a crazy stressful job mixed in with long periods of ennui and boredom, but that doesn't exclude them from being scrutinized when their actions can be interpreted as doing more harm than good.
How do I upmoderate this post?

-jM
A&D

kyfe

TRIBE Member

No it wouldn't, this would create more problems than it would solve, thus leading to more lawsuits. The lack of funding this would create would lead to staff shortages putting the public at risk.
If you want to stop the problem you need to make any time there is a significant interaction or complaint the officer is put on unpaid leave while it is investigated. When 80% of your force makes over $100,000, hitting them in their pocket book is the best way to change habits. At present there is almost 0 accountability unless they really mess up and it's caught on video, otherwise it's your word against theirs.

Some food for thought
Police officers are not rated personally for their driving infractions while on duty. IMO this fosters further the cowboy mentality when they drive.
Police officers are not cross trained, in the sense that it an on duty officer witnesses a car accident but it not in traffic, they'll call another officer from traffic to deal with it.
Paid duty is a joke, paying someone $50/hr+ to do what a construction worker does by holding signage and getting paid $15-20/hr is just giving gravy to police services.
Stop hiring individuals with no post secondary education.(although many take police foundations in college, IMO this should be mandatory training once hired.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I'm just surprised at how many offences police officers get away with. They act with impunity and the law seems to let them. They forget that they are civil servants and instead act as .... well you know. They need a dose of humility and reminder that they work for us and not the other way round.

-jM
A&D

wickedken

TRIBE Member
They don't really "work for us" marketing slogans ("protect and serve") notwithstanding. Their purpose is to enforce laws, and as such work for the state to further the regime. It's just smart on their part to make nice, as their job becomes much easier. However it seems they're getting less smart.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
My roommate's marijuana air gun trial is still ongoing, but today they admitted that the 9g of marijuana that they "found" on him did not actually belong to him. aka they planted the marijuana on him to draw an arrest. How is this not going unpunished in today's Canada? Any officer who plants evidence should be immediately fired, and more so.

-jM
A&D