• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the clusterfuck of human unreasonability OR deep ranting

deep

TRIBE Member
Nothing tears at me more when people prostitute some noble or objective premise as being their motives for something, when it is quite obvious that what they say or do is more driven by subjective, irrational self interests.

In less verbose terms, people being unreasonable and full of shit.

In small doses, it's tolerated with a sense of humour. Someone does something that has more to do with their emotional imperatives than it does anything universal like "truth", "rational validity" or "reason". You laugh it off, take it as a characteristic foible of the human condition, or remark to yourself "well that was silly". In some cases, you treat the display with sensitivity and understanding, recognizing that quelling those emotional considerations can let someone return to being a rational, reasonable person.

But then you look at the macroscopic level and see that it's not an isolated event. It seems as though this unreasonability is a galactically stupid yet unavoidable tendency of human nature. People looking at only what's right in front of them and not the bigger picture. That they'll not take a step back and ask themselves if what they're doing is reasonable. That being right has less to do with actually being right and more to do with ignoring how we're wrong.

Wars. Corporate abuse. Interpersonal conflict. Violence. Hatred. Racism. Sexism. Whatever fucking ism you want. Cheating. Lying. Theft. Politics. Emotional dysfunctions. Every day decisions and actions. The things people say and do in their insignificant, vapid little lives.

We do so much fucking shit that is basically without any consideration for things greater than ourselves or our own immediate needs.

So much of what people call their lives has more to do with them merely validating and justifying their own selfish imperatives than it does what may be true in a greater sense.

We're more apt to justify in hindsight a mistake that we made rather than consider with foresight how to best go about doing something. People are more likely to come up with interpretations of situations that are subjectively skewed in order to serve their self interests rather than really assess if what they did was right or wrong.

We label this in psychology as being somewhat reflective of healthy operation. After all, doing what's necessary to maintain a positive sense of self isn't necessarily a bad thing. It isn't unreasonable for people to want to be happy, to want to feel as though they're right, to want to feel as though they're liked.

But then motherfuckers go right ahead and jump right off the diving board of reasonability. Being right stops being about actually being right and more about putting on the outward illusion of it.

Do we not have a conscience, compelling us to say "no, that is fucking wrong" when something is?

It never ceases to amaze me how people can without reservation operate as though the very selfish things they say or do are actually for more noble or universally valid purposes.

Who the fuck do you serve?

Objectivity, reason, morality, good ... or just whatever makes you feel good at the time?

Is character something you feign, or something that is built into every aspect of your operation? Do you have that discipline to abstract away from your animal impulses?

Are you defined by your actions, or merely what you repeatedly try to tell people?

Can you sleep at night, knowing that the things you say and do may have nothing to do with things bigger than any of us?

Do you have a backbone?

Are you a reasonable human being?

The irony of this rant, of course, is that being offended by this weakness of character, this characteristic of ours to suit our own emotional needs rather than things bigger than us, is itself an silly emotional reaction.

It nonetheless begs the question : what do you then bank on with people, when looking at humanity as a whole?

The fact that occasionally someone might bring themselves to a higher level of operation, where they can leave behind their own miserable little hangups and exist on a more conscious level?

Or the inevitability that people will act in the way suits their selfish interests?

There is obviously no straight absolute answer to the question. As with any matter of significant importance, there are complex and often contradictory forces that can tilt the tables in favour of one end or the other. A matter of perspective. So at best you can take the bad with the good and keep on trucking. But sometimes it's nice to just vent about how fucking stupid we are. In the hope that it might wake someone up and make them look long and hard at what they say and do. Maybe start burning that level of consideration into their consciousness.

Haha, yeah fucking right. That gives a lot more credit to a late night message board rant than it deserves. The ironic truth of it is that people will probably only change their self serving ways once they have a reason to do so that benefits them. Humanity - one big fucking cosmic joke.

Last edited:
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

zoo

TRIBE Member
hundreds of tons of depleted uranium and other radioactive waste dropped all over the world already resulting in exponentially increasing birth defects, cancers, and new illnesses

and this waste has a half life in the billions of years, right? way longer than humans will ever survive

yeah, humans are pretty fucking stupid alright, to the point where we're sabotaging our own species

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i'd like to respond to this but there is no way i can think of to do it that is not self-serving. so i'll say nothing.

defazman

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mr tall
I try to imagine what Chuck Norris would do, and then I do it

I don't think selling exercise equipment on Sunday afternoon TV is going to help deep at all.

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
Nothing tears at me more when people prostitute some noble or objective premise as being their motives for something, when it is quite obvious that what they say or do is more driven by subjective, irrational self interests.

In less verbose terms, people being unreasonable and full of shit.

In small doses, it's tolerated with a sense of humour. Someone does something that has more to do with their emotional imperatives than it does anything universal like "truth", "rational validity" or "reason". You laugh it off, take it as a characteristic foible of the human condition, or remark to yourself "well that was silly". In some cases, you treat the display with sensitivity and understanding, recognizing that quelling those emotional considerations can let someone return to being a rational, reasonable person.

But then you look at the macroscopic level and see that it's not an isolated event. It seems as though this unreasonability is a galactically stupid yet unavoidable tendency of human nature. People looking at only what's right in front of them and not the bigger picture. That they'll not take a step back and ask themselves if what they're doing is reasonable. That being right has less to do with actually being right and more to do with ignoring how we're wrong.

Wars. Corporate abuse. Interpersonal conflict. Violence. Hatred. Racism. Sexism. Whatever fucking ism you want. Cheating. Lying. Theft. Politics. Emotional dysfunctions. Every day decisions and actions. The things people say and do in their insignificant, vapid little lives.

We do so much fucking shit that is basically without any consideration for things greater than ourselves or our own immediate needs.

So much of what people call their lives has more to do with them merely validating and justifying their own selfish imperatives than it does what may be true in a greater sense.

We're more apt to justify in hindsight a mistake that we made rather than consider with foresight how to best go about doing something. People are more likely to come up with interpretations of situations that are subjectively skewed in order to serve their self interests rather than really assess if what they did was right or wrong.

We label this in psychology as being somewhat reflective of healthy operation. After all, doing what's necessary to maintain a positive sense of self isn't necessarily a bad thing. It isn't unreasonable for people to want to be happy, to want to feel as though they're right, to want to feel as though they're liked.

But then motherfuckers go right ahead and jump right off the diving board of reasonability. Being right stops being about actually being right and more about putting on the outward illusion of it.

Do we not have a conscience, compelling us to say "no, that is fucking wrong" when something is?

It never ceases to amaze me how people can without reservation operate as though the very selfish things they say or do are actually for more noble or universally valid purposes.

Who the fuck do you serve?

Objectivity, reason, morality, good ... or just whatever makes you feel good at the time?

Is character something you feign, or something that is built into every aspect of your operation? Do you have that discipline to abstract away from your animal impulses?

Are you defined by your actions, or merely what you repeatedly try to tell people?

Can you sleep at night, knowing that the things you say and do may have nothing to do with things bigger than any of us?

Do you have a backbone?

Are you a reasonable human being?

The irony of this rant, of course, is that being offended by this weakness of character, this characteristic of ours to suit our own emotional needs rather than things bigger than us, is itself an silly emotional reaction.

It nonetheless begs the question : what do you then bank on with people, when looking at humanity as a whole?

The fact that occasionally someone might bring themselves to a higher level of operation, where they can leave behind their own miserable little hangups and exist on a more conscious level?

Or the inevitability that people will act in the way suits their selfish interests?

There is obviously no straight absolute answer to the question. As with any matter of significant importance, there are complex and often contradictory forces that can tilt the tables in favour of one end or the other. A matter of perspective. So at best you can take the bad with the good and keep on trucking. But sometimes it's nice to just vent about how fucking stupid we are. In the hope that it might wake someone up and make them look long and hard at what they say and do. Maybe start burning that level of consideration into their consciousness.

Haha, yeah fucking right. That gives a lot more credit to a late night message board rant than it deserves. The ironic truth of it is that people will probably only change their self serving ways once they have a reason to do so that benefits them. Humanity - one big fucking cosmic joke.

give in to the media and focus on more pressing issues at hand, like what Charlize Theron is wearing to the Oscars next week

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Deep, although I'm sure you're talking about issues on a more global scale, I notice these exact things on a daily basis. I call it 'Last Bus in the Universe Syndrome'. When I ride the bus in the morning I'm amazed by just how many people panic and put them selves in harms way just to catch a bus that is just out of reach. I've seen people run across four lanes of traffic, against a light, to catch a bus. I've seen little old ladies chase a bus that has already left the station for blocks, thinking that if the bus driver sees them they'll stop. What this means to me isn't that they're late or need to get somewhere in a hurry, but that they lack any sort of foresight at all. I mean there will always be another bus or train or streetcar. Why risk life and limb to catch the one right in front of you? Because apparently, this is the last bus that will ever come and if you don't catch it you'll be stuck in public transit purgatory for the rest of eternity. It's not like there will be another one in five minutes or anything.

So if you start humanity with a foundation like this it's not surprising that our leaders are running around never thinking more then five minutes in advance of any decision placed in front of them. We are a myopic species who may never see beyond the next hill or next year, or god forbid, the next bus.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
Why risk life and limb to catch the one right in front of you? Because apparently, this is the last bus that will ever come and if you don't catch it you'll be stuck in public transit purgatory for the rest of eternity.
Kind of like those people who floor it and cut off other drivers just to race towards a red light.

JMan

TRIBE Member
Nice rant-ola Deep. It's either silly or DEEP with you buddy, and I love it.

Anyways, I'm going to read this more and let it sink in before I comment.

J

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by AdRiaN
Kind of like those people who floor it and cut off other drivers just to race towards a red light.

Or those people who back up on a highway because they missed their exit.

marcinm

TRIBE Member
i say we all quit what we're doing right now and move into the mountains and become goat herdsmen/herdswomen :D

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep

Sometimes it's real easy to tune your conscience out when you've somehow managed to justify to yourself that doing the "wrong" thing is right for you at the given moment of truth. Hopefully though through consequences we learn that to listen to your conscience is golden and that it will, for the most part, direct you on the right path in life IF you're concerned about those who may be affected by "wrong" actions.

We're all going to make mistakes, I guess the key to becoming a better person for yourself and those who matter to you is to understand the consequences so the same mistakes are not repeated over and over again.

teh ironing?

wayne kenoff

TRIBE Member
good rant.

Does true altruism exist? What is the basis for morality?

I don't know the answer. Ultimately, I take the good with the bad and keep on trucking.

Sometimes I wonder if morality is entirely a learned, cultural behaviour and whether we should just drop the pretense and be ruthless bastards 24-7. But I think that morality 'evolved' for a reason. The same reason that our society developed laws. To keep daily activity moving in an orderly way.

The weird thing is that the more a society depends on the letter of the law, the less it depends on the integrity and morality of its people.

I for one would like to see less dependence on written laws and more emphasis on the unwritten ones. Conservative values I guess. But I can see the need for both in this day and age.

shylock_one

TRIBE Member
For myself, I’ve already accepted the fact that the majority of society is self-serving. But what I don’t understand is the passiveness of others when this self-serving approach begins to negatively affect others.

People seem more concerned with trifle issues such as Janet Jackson’s tit or the Passion of Christ. The fact that so many people seem to be up in arms about a movie which they haven’t even seen yet is ridiculous (This is not intended towards the Passion of Christ thread btw, more towards the religious groups protesting anti-semitism). It’s more important to be politically correct than it is to be political.

Consumerism is the new religion. Around the world people are suffering and the environment is being plundered but ‘hey check out my new cell phone!’

At the same time, I think I’m being highly hypocritical but, it’s something I’m slowly working towards reducing.

Individuals are prone to being self-serving, but society by its own construct should be a greater force in curbing this.

End rant.

wayne kenoff

TRIBE Member
Just thinking about laws and morality a little further.

Human history has often demonstrated the need for written law.
So I don't want to knock the importance of written law in our society.

Law does have a shitload of problems, not the least of which being the cost and expediency of the process. Law is always catching up. New loop holes are found faster than old ones can be shut.

Is this where morality comes into play? Those in power, who have the greatest ability to exploit loop holes, ought to observe a code of ethics/morals/basic integrity.

Often times leaders do not lead by this example. Why? Lots of shitty reasons, all selfish. And this example of poor leadership is passed on to future generations.

FC St. Pauli

TRIBE Member
hey Deep

On a good day you can look it as us living in the time when reason is actually becoming fairly common for the first time ever. So its frustrating that it is not happening even faster.

The reason you can become so frustrated some days is that you know, deep down, that reason works and taking a step back and trying to see a bigger picture while recognizing the limitations of the knee-jerk emotional/lazy human brain is the way to go. In fact, once you get it, so obviously the way to go. But you see constant examples of people not getting it and fucking things up more and more and more.

But nothing is a straight trajectory up, including the advancement of reason over emotion, sentiment, greed and magical thinking.

We must also accept that we might not make it. Humanity may be going slowly insane. Or it could just be me. Anyway don't read so much news from 99 different sources on the internet or at least not every day or whatever. The best course of action is to be reasonable yourself and hope for the best and realize that the coolest thing we know about, human intelligence, begins to notice that its hardware has some pretty weird hardwired routines that need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Fun to watch anyway.