• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Clothing Care Thread

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Okay - so I've got a closet full of clothes that I love and cherish... The problem is this:

1) I'm a huge klutz
2) I'm a huge slob
3) I'm completely disorganized

My clothes end up in piles all over the place, the stuff I wear frequently, I wear to death and ends up looking ratty as sin, and almost everything light/white has a stain on it!

In this thread, we can share (please tell me!) your tips and tricks for keeping your whites white, removing stains, drycleaning tricks, laundry tricks, storage, etc. etc. etc.!

My first pressing issue:

What gets grease/soy sauce/tomato stains out of white cotton!? Every white shirt I own is destroyed. :(

Next:

Pit stains. We all hate, 'em, let's talk about it.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Oh, how I need this thread too...
Please someone share, I am a total food spilling clutz, whenever I wear white its an attraction for spillage...

I also need to know how to clean a white canvas bag/purse, the inside of the bag is burgundy and I fear of the colour running into the white canvas...
I tried shoe cleaner, it didnt make it any worse, but not so much better!

deevah

TRIBE Member
grease - use talc/baby powder ASAP to soak up the stain, try to dab some white vinegar on b/f you wash to break up the grease if it's really bad

soy/tomato - use qtip to apply bleach in affected spots, leave for a few minutes b/f throwing into wash

the oxy stuff has been really good to be for tough stains - couple scoops in hot water, soak for an hour and wash.

MissBlu- tsk tsk tsk, scotchguard that first! then you just hafta wipe it down.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I did spray it first, with shoe protector. I didn't even think of scotch guard!
Damn good idea though...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deevah

TRIBE Member
use cold water to dilute some detergent
use a REALLY CLEAN scrub brush (just pick a new one up from the dollar store) w/ a little of the detergent and do a few quick hard scrubs
wipe down w/ a damp clean towel

see if that works

even if you scotchguard, you have to reapply if you're getting heavy use out of this bag

Bean

TRIBE Member
handwash your bras. it will literally extend the life of them

if you have to use a washing machine to wash your bras, throw them in a garment bag, use mild detergent and COLD water.

Never put your bras in the dryer!

JESuX

TRIBE Member
oh yeah, another thing!

when you need to hand wash wool/delicate items -

they say "reshape and lay flat to dry" - any tips on getting garments to retain their shape after wringing the crap out of them? i find all my delicate hand washed stuff always looks terrible. :(

also - how do you guys get rid of those little pills that develop on fabric? i think i used to have a little electric doohickey at my parents, but have NO idea where to find one now...

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:
oh yeah, another thing!

when you need to hand wash wool/delicate items -

they say "reshape and lay flat to dry" - any tips on getting garments to retain their shape after wringing the crap out of them? i find all my delicate hand washed stuff always looks terrible. :(

also - how do you guys get rid of those little pills that develop on fabric? i think i used to have a little electric doohickey at my parents, but have NO idea where to find one now...
I don't "wring" my delicate stuff, I kind of push the water out instead of twisting the fabric if that makes sense. It takes a lot longer though. Then I put it on a towel on the floor until it dries, flipping it occasionally. Is the problem that the cloth gets wrinkled? If it won't lose it's shape you can just use a rack thing to dry the stuff on that way you can stretch it a bit so it doesn't wrinkle.
For pilling, I just make sure to wash everything inside out which helps I think. If I'm feeling fidgety I just pull of the pills but I don't know if that's bad.

I don't wash my clothing every time I wear it (unless I was sweaty). I do this mainly for pants and sweaters and it really makes them last longer.
I need to get one of those mesh bags that you put your delicates in so they don't get beaten up in the machine cause I've given up on hand washing my stuff.

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
What about bedsheets? I read in some Martha Stewart book that you can put them in the bathtub with vinegar and lemon??? I googled the crap out of this & can't find it. I'd like this for my white bedsheets and undies/socks. Anyone with natural home bleaching?

Also, my white bedsheets esp the pillow covers are pretty yellowed, what's the best way to make them white, I've tried regular bleaching and it doesn't seem to work well.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Cri said:
Everyone needs to get a tide pen. they are magical.
na na na na
na na na na
hey hey hey
good-bye.

best invention ever.

I'd say 70% of my wardrobe is fluffed for 3 minutes after coming out of the wash then hung to dry.
Handwash delicates are handwashed and I squeeze the excess water out gently then lay flat on a towel to absorb water
Oxyclean is the shit.
Yellow pits, someone once told me to soak in vinegar but I've never tried it.
Pillies - you can still get clothes shavers around - I usually see them at kiosks in a mall.

I wash all my favorite clothes inside-out.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
DEEPHOUSEGRL said:
The product SPRAY and WASH is fucken useless. I used this on stains and it doesn't work.at.all.

SHOUT seems to work best.

I agree. Spary and Wash sucks.

Will Shout get collar and cuff stains out? My dry cleaner seems to to have trouble with this, so I'm looking to DIY methods.

rhyss

TRIBE Member
I have a bad habit of not putting on an apron when cooking and I always have little oil splatters and sauce spatters on all of the shirts that I would usually go to work in. At the Loblaws (at St.Clair and Bathurst) I got this little bar of soap called "Ban-it" and it works wonders, even if you have already washed the item and the oil has not come out. I swear by it.

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
'ban-it' does rock, but it can be hard to find.

i like the shout thingy with the bristly top - it's fabric safe, so you can rub in the stain remover for really bad stains.

clothes shavers can be found/bought at any department store - the bay, sears, walmart, zellers type places all carry them. they are very handy, tho you can avoid most pilling by not putting your stuff in the dryer.

for 'lay flat to dry' stuff, i usually squeeze all the excess water possible out by putting it on a clean towel, folding it 'nicely' in to the towel, then standing on the package. then i lay it on a dry towel and let it lie there for a while. everything dries MUCH faster when i do that. (i do that with bras too!)

edit:
and for whites that just aren't white anymore, there's 'borax'... i have never used it, so i have no methodology to share, but my grandmother used to swear by it's whitening... bleach will just make things more yellow, really.

Last edited:

JESuX

TRIBE Member
i find my clothes pill (wool/angora/blended sweaters, etc) always tend to pill where i give them the most friction - ie: the armpit area, from brushing back and forth, as well as the sleeves on the cuffs from rubbing against my sides.

i need to pick up a shaver :)

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
I find that sweat smells linger in some of my clothes after I wash them...are there any products that target this problem? I have Febreze but I'd rather they actually come out smelling clean in the first place, without having to use super-hot water.

sugar

TRIBE Member
Is there any way to prevent turtlenecks from getting holes along the neck seam? Maybe I have a giant head or something, but I can't seem to stop the holes from appearing. I live in turtlenecks most of the winter, and all 4 of them that I bought in the fall have holes now, plus all the other ones I own. Anyone wanna sew 'em up for me? *bats eyelashes*

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
rejenerate said:
I find that sweat smells linger in some of my clothes after I wash them...are there any products that target this problem? I have Febreze but I'd rather they actually come out smelling clean in the first place, without having to use super-hot water.

Are you using unscented detergent? Or are you possibly filling your washing machine up too much with one load, and the detergent isn't reaching all the clothing?

In any case, I have this fabric softener that I would kill for... I love it so much. It's Downy with Febreze. The smell is SOOOO good and pretty strong, so the "clean" smell stays on my clothes for quite a while.

Not recommended if you're allergic to fragrance I guess.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
Are you using unscented detergent? Or are you possibly filling your washing machine up too much with one load, and the detergent isn't reaching all the clothing?

In any case, I have this fabric softener that I would kill for... I love it so much. It's Downy with Febreze. The smell is SOOOO good and pretty strong, so the "clean" smell stays on my clothes for quite a while.

Not recommended if you're allergic to fragrance I guess.
Yeah unfortunately I now use Tide Free and the like after having a really bad skin reaction to regular detergent. But washing less clothes at a time is a good idea, I'll try that.

I also read something about spraying clothes with vodka.

mayab

TRIBE Member
How does merino wool hold up over time when you wash it in the gentle cycle in the washing machine?

I SWORE that I would never buy any wool sweaters again, but I really like one at club monaco.