• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Church of Existentialism

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Our Commandments:

1: Fuck it.
2: Do it yourself cuz ain't no one gonna do it for you.
3: The universe hates you. Deal with it.
4: If it's wrong it's probably your fault.
5: Yearn for something each day.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by DaPhatConductor
Hopefully it will improve the adhesion of the suction cups on your silly Existentialist hat.
I'm not sure if we wear hats yet, but if we do they will be damn silly in an ironic sort of way.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
I hate to say it but you can't really have Existentialist commandments, it's far too individual, fragmented, vand ague. You also run into a lot of written commandment problems when you frequently encounter subjects beyond language and conception.

Less commandments, more silly hats!

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
You can't even pretend to start a Church of Existentialism if you haven't plowed through Being and Nothingness. :p

I'm a Discordian.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
As for celebrity endorsements, sure Scientology has Travolta but we've got Kafka!

I am standing on the platform of the tram and I am entirely uncertain as to my place in this world, in this town, in my family. Not even approximately could I state what claims I might justifiably advance in any direction. I am quite unable to defend the fact that I am standing on this platform, holding this strap, letting myself be carried along by this tram, and that people are getting out of the tram’s way or walking along quietly or pausing in front of the shop windows. – Not that anyone asks me to, but that is immaterial.
-Franz Kafka - from The Passenger - 1908

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I hate to say it but you can't really have Existentialist commandments, it's far too individual, fragmented, vand ague. You also run into a lot of written commandment problems when you frequently encounter subjects beyond language and conception.

I agree, which is why we have commandment #1.

And I agree about the silly hats. The more absurd the hat the higher the rank.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Lysistrata
You can't even pretend to start a Church of Existentialism if you haven't plowed through Being and Nothingness. :p

I'm a Discordian.
Yeah but according to your underlying philosphy you'd have to be the only one. That sounds pretty lonely, are you sure you don't wonder why you're alone in this hostile universe? Mmmm? Mmmm?

join us.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Thank you Dori.

<=== Existentialist.

Is there a church of existentialism? Yep. It's called Christianity.
Honest.

Only difference, is we leave the "yay jesus" at the door, and question what it means to live a good life, without diluted moralistic crap.

To paraphrase Heidegger
In becoming, we seek Being, in order to obtain being.

Our Commandments:
1: Fuck it.
2: Do it yourself cuz ain't no one gonna do it for you.
3: The universe hates you. Deal with it.
4: If it's wrong it's probably your fault.
5: Yearn for something each day.

1. is anti-existential antipathy. quite the opposite of what your goal should be
2. is Randian Objective Egoism
3. That's pessimism
4. That's... i don't know
5. Selfish Egoism

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
Yeah but according to your underlying philosphy you'd have to be the only one. That sounds pretty lonely, are you sure you don't wonder why you're alone in this hostile universe? Mmmm? Mmmm?

join us.

http://www.kbuxton.com/discordia/

So there.

Tess of the D'Obermans, I should have brought this up before, but while I respect almost everything you say (when you're not trolling) I do not have any positive feelings towards being called Dori.

Jonesy

TRIBE Member

Less commandments, more silly hats!

i am so down!!

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I am standing on the platform of the tram and I am entirely uncertain as to my place in this world, in this village, in my family. Not even approximately could I state what claims I might justifiably advance in any direction. I have been told that on every tram there is one idiot. I have never been able to find that idiot. How odd.
-PosTMOd - from Tribe - 2004