• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Chinese are Monsters

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Chinese executive caught outsourcing 12-year-old daughter’s homework to his employees

Malcolm Moore, The Daily Telegraph

A Chinese manager outsourced his 12-year-old daughter’s homework to nine of his employees.

The senior executive’s plan was disclosed when one of his disgruntled workers told a local newspaper.

The worker, who gave his name as Mr. Chen, said it took three days to finish the work. “We stayed up late for two nights,” he said. “The girl was quite demanding. She only needed to do one of the four options but insisted on doing them all, without getting involved herself in any way.”

Students were asked to follow their parents to their home towns and either draw a picture, create a video, take photographs or write an essay about the changes over the past decades.

Mr Chen, a professional photographer, said he was in charge of taking the pictures.

Other workers were drafted for the video and the essay, one person had to upload the work on to the school website and the company driver transported the team around town.

The newspaper said the local primary school had cautioned the boss, who remained unnamed.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Demand for chopsticks killing trees, Chinese lawmaker says
AFP Mar 11, 2013, 08.42PM IST

BEIJING: A Chinese legislator who heads a forestry company has urged the country to save more trees by reducing the 80 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks it makes each year, state media say.

"We must change our consumption habits and encourage people to carry their own tableware," Bo Guangxin, the chairman of Jilin Forestry Industry Group, was quoted as telling fellow delegates at the country's annual parliament session on Friday.

China's chopstick production amounted to 20 million 20-year-old trees, enough to fill Tiananmen Square with 360 layers of the single-use utensil, the Xinhua state news agency cited him as saying.

Representatives to the rubber-stamp National People's Congress meet each year largely to approve decisions already made by the country's communist leaders.

China is the world's largest consumer and importer of wood, and imposed a five percent tax on disposable chopsticks and wooden floor panels in 2006 in an effort to reduce timber wastage.

The country's demand for foreign wood had tripled since 2000 to reach 180 million cubic meters in 2011, the London-based Environmental Investigation Agency said in a report last year.

The campaign group said the growing appetite for timber with at least one-tenth of supplies coming from illegal sources meant that "the fate of much of the world's natural

Demand for chopsticks killing trees, Chinese lawmaker says - Times Of India

acheron

TRIBE Member
I love it. I mean they can't even try to fake a decent meat like beef or chicken (although there are whole industries around faking that with soy protein, but that's all above board) they have to go with mutton?

What's next, fake mead? As long as we're trying to simulate medieval staple foods.

As an aside, I would like to try mink. I imagine you could get it on a stick.

praktik

TRIBE Member
so fucking stupid.

poor rhinos , and the fucking idiots that think a Rhino horn will cure cancer. WTF is wrong with people.
It's ancient chinese medecine man so it must be right! They been doing it for thousands of years...

The tiger story on this page was one of few to really trigger a large amount of rage+anger... I dunno maybe having housecats around makes me feel an affinity to the larger cats but I am STILL f*cking PISSED about that every time I think about it...

Is there a reliable charity working to fight that shit I can donate to??

Krackajak

TRIBE Member
There is this petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/china-stop-ignoring-ban-on-sale-of-tiger-body-parts-close-down-china-s-tiger-farms

And this site: GW EXOTIC ANIMAL FOUNDATION | OFFICIAL SITE

Took me to this site:

Save The China Tigers

Maybe I will look into this site a bit more, make sure its legit... just fuck me if I dont have a bee in my bonnet about that shit!
I am uneasy about how much personal information the petition site needs, and I am thinking.... why would the Chinese government care about a petition signed by foreigners. They don't seemed to be overly concerned about democracy or the opinions from outsiders about their internal policies?!

praktik

TRIBE Member
They have a PR-meter can't hurt... there's also direct contacts and we can also let the Chinese ambassador to Canada know.

Probably more effective to donate to one of those two tiger-helping charities but I figure doing both can't hurt!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Guangzhou Finds High Cadmium Levels In New Scare Over Contaminated Food

By TE-PING CHEN

HONG KONG—A government test indicated that nearly half the rice sold in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou was contaminated with cadmium, triggering anger from consumers that China's staple food hasn't escaped the widespread pollution tainting its air, water and soil.

Nearly half of 18 rice samples tested in local markets during the first three months of the year contained excessive levels of cadmium, according to the Guangzhou Food and Drug Administration. A carcinogenic metal that can wreak havoc on the body's kidneys, cadmium has been found in heavy concentrations in soil in different Chinese regions, soil-pollution experts say.

Fury erupted online after the figures were published late last week on the Guangzhou body's website. The report came in the wake of other recent pollution controversies, including the discovery of rotting pig carcasses floating in Shanghai's water supply and the choking levels of air pollution Beijing experienced earlier this year.

"First water, then the air we breathe, and now the earth. How can people still survive?" wrote one user on Sina Weibo, a popular Twitter-like microblogging service. "I suppose we can always move abroad or to outer space."

Social-media criticism has been a crucial driver in the debate over pollution in China. Environmental issues have also received increasingly frank coverage in state media in a sign China's new leaders are attempting to address growing quality-of-life concerns by ordinary Chinese. Earlier this year, Beijing started to release better air-quality data after a campaign by angry social-media users.

Food safety is a particular concern, as some of the contaminants from years of industrial development make their way into the country's food from the soil in which it is grown. According to 2011 research at Nanjing Agricultural University, roughly 10% of all rice sold in China is tainted by cadmium, the result of use of industrial wastewater for irrigation, dumping of industrial waste and overapplication of fertilizer.

Heavy-metal contamination in China's soil also includes high amounts of lead and arsenic. In 2006, the country's Ministry for Environmental Protection launched a nationwide soil-pollution survey, which was to have been concluded in 2010. But earlier this year the ministry rejected requests by a Beijing lawyer to see the results, citing "state secrets."

Anger that authorities held on to data with potentially serious health consequences was exacerbated by the use of the state-secret argument—common throughout the government to justify refusing information requests. The tactic was even questioned by the flagship Communist Party newspaper the People's Daily on its Sina Weibo account, which called it "the magic phrase for rejecting disclosure."

Anger is also rising online that wealthy Chinese, including factory owners who contribute to pollution problems, can emigrate and raise their families elsewhere. "We should prevent Chinese people from emigrating overseas. If we did that, these companies wouldn't pollute so much," wrote one Weibo user on Monday. Users also circulated cartoon rice bowls featuring embedded skeleton heads.

Some analysts say the government refuses to release data on soil pollution in part because of fears it could unleash social instability. An accurate picture of soil pollution could endanger the livelihoods of farmers by encouraging consumer boycotts of food produced in contaminated areas. It could strengthen the voice of protesters and activists fighting to close down polluting factories and lead to massive compensation claims by residents in areas where the soil has been poisoned by industrial waste.

China faces an immense task to feed its population as breakneck industrial development has eaten into the country's supply of arable land. An honest assessment of soil quality would put further pressure on food supplies, and challenge the government's policy of food self-sufficiency, which it believes is a strategic imperative.

In response to the Guangzhou rice scandal, the People's Daily this week advised people to "diversify" their diets so that they weren't eating produce from just one region. That way, the degree of risk from consumption would be minimized, the paper said.

According to the Guangzhou authorities, the contaminated samples were found to have 0.21 milligram to 0.4 milligram of cadmium in each kilogram of rice. The Chinese government allows a maximum 0.2 mg of cadmium in each kilogram of rice.

The rice was mainly imported from nearby Hunan, a province that is traditionally known as the "land of fish and rice," thanks to its bountiful produce. All the rice was produced at small-scale mills of the kind common in China's agricultural sector, which remains extremely localized and composed of smaller operations, making it difficult to regulate standards. Over the weekend, Guangzhou authorities said the sample size was small, and not necessarily representative of all rice being sold in the city.

It was also unclear how the report compares to previous findings in Guangzhou.

China has been a net rice importer for several years, but sends some amounts of rice elsewhere, including to the U.S. and Hong Kong. U.S. researchers have found rice from China contain high concentrations of lead, according to the American Chemical Society.

Authorities in Guangzhou—southern China's largest city—initially refused to disclose the name of the rice producers, triggering even more of a backlash. The government succumbed to the pressure and released the names of the mostly small mills over the weekend. The rice producers included Daban Rice Factory, as well as Xiasheng Rice Factory, Rixing Rice Mill and Dongyang Rice Mill. None of the Hunan mill operators could be reached for comment. An employee at one additionally named Guangdong producer, Daojiao Jinying Rice Product Factory, based in the city of Dongguan, said he was unaware of the issue.

The government said it had forbidden the use of the rice, "adopted control measures" and will continue surveillance and random sampling of rice in the city.

Cadmium is frequently found in leafy vegetables such as spinach and choi sum grown in polluted conditions. For cadmium to be evident in rice grains as well, the soil in which it was grown must have been especially highly polluted, said Jonathan Wong, a Hong Kong biology professor who has studied mainland soil pollution extensively.

In Japan during the late 1960s, an outbreak of itai-itai disease, or "ouch, ouch" disease, was traced back to cadmium after it poisoned people and softened their bones.

Experts say removing cadmium from the soil is a costly process that would likely require seeding certain plants for long periods to help remove toxicity. The metal doesn't degrade on its own, and can linger in the human body for decades.

Local and national food-safety regulators didn't return requests for comment.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324787004578494583962413470.html

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Saw this on Stewart last night:

msn now: Smelly white mystery ooze found seeping out of a street in China

It sounds like something out of a horror movie. Pedestrians in Nanjing, China, witnessed a foul-smelling white foam ooze out of cracks in the street Saturday night. Firefighters and police roped off the scene and evacuated nearby homes. No one knows what the substance was, but the official explanation says it was a material used to soften soil for a nearby subway construction, and was as harmless as soap bubbles. Many people are skeptical, preferring to blame China's corner-cutting efforts to save money. Whatever it was, it soon seeped back into the cracks, raising two even more important questions: Where did it go, and what is it planning?
"The Nanjing Ooze"—sounds like an NBA expansion team

DJ elektron-

TRIBE Member
China 'world's most financially secure country'|Economy|chinadaily.com.cn
"China has emerged as the most financially secure country in an index jointly launched by PICC Property and Casualty Co Ltd, the largest non-life insurance company in the Chinese mainland, and Genworth Financial Inc, a Fortune 500 insurance holding company.

The report surveyed 13,000 households in 14 European countries, and five Latin American countries and China. China scored 78 out of 100, the highest score of any country and the highest since the index was launched in 2007.

Only 3 percent of Chinese households are financially vulnerable, whereas the same figure for Germany is 22 percent and 26 percent for France, according to the report.

Of more than 1,000 households surveyed in Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Wuhan, only 1 percent said their financial situation will worsen over the next 12 months. Only 3 percent believed they were financially vulnerable, while 97 percent said that they have rarely experienced financial problems or had a positive outlook for the future."

The Truth

TRIBE Member

A dolphin died in China after being lifted out of the water by tourists who posed for photographs rather than help the stricken mammal.

The dolphin had become stranded on a beach in the southern island province of Hainan after apparently being struck by a boat, the state-run Shanghai Daily reported.

The incident has sparked anger among web users in China, which has a growing animal rights movement but no laws to protect non-endangered species.

On Sina Weibo, China’s version of Twitter, people condemned the behaviour of the tourists, one of whom even lifted the dolphin above his head.

‘Chinese style tourism is not about relaxation, but for showing off where one has been,’ one wrote.

‘Only by posting the pictures and getting praise and compliments, can the tourist feel he didn’t spend the money in vain.’

Another added: ‘Dolphins, as highly evolved mammals, have an IQ only a little lower than humans. But those people in the pictures are worse than pigs.’

And one other user asked: ‘When even the basic respect of life is lost, I just want to say, how can I be proud of you, China?’

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/19/dolphin-dies-after-china-tourist-abuse-tourists-who-posed-for-photos-rather-than-save-stricken-dolphin-condemned-3847223/