• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The catholic church....

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kprior

You have made some crazy ass statements dude....i really feel sorry for you if you feel this way. I think you have some serious issues to work out with youself. And comparing Faith to smoking cigarettes, come on guy that is horrible. First of all what is wrong with believeing in the Son of God, and faith, it does no harm to an individual.....were as cigs....cause cancer......so you little statement sucks......and again i feel sorry for you, you sound like you really live an empty life.....

kp
he didn't compare faith to smoking cigarettes, he compared faith in god/religion to a belief that cigarettes are somehow good for you. i.e. neither is true, and the people who tell you that they are true want your money.

reading comprehension. work on it. :p

Rosey

TRIBE Member
i agree with timo's stance against world religions, i'm just not so conceited to claim that i know that there is no god (timo may not have claimed this, but i get the feeling he is an atheist). i simply say that as a fallible human, i do not know if there is a god or what that god wants so i try to do the best i can.

the people who scare me are not the ones that believe in god, that's essentially harmless and quite likely helps them in some way. it's the ones who believe they know what god wants. they scare the fuck out of me.

Rosey

TRIBE Member
A QUESTION FOR TIMO

do you believe in the existence of the human soul?
do you allow for the possibility that there may be something more to our existence than our corpreal form?

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Re: A QUESTION FOR TIMO

Originally posted by Rosey
do you believe in the existence of the human soul?
do you allow for the possibility that there may be something more to our existence than our corpreal form?
I allow that there might be, though "soul" is not quite the word...

I hold many overlapping, sometimes outright contradictory, simultaneous beliefs, and one of these leans towards an idea that when we die, we become part of the quantum world, and become non-locally spread out into everything.

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: A QUESTION FOR TIMO

Originally posted by PosTMOd

I allow that there might be, though "soul" is not quite the word...

I hold many overlapping, sometimes outright contradictory, simultaneous beliefs, and one of these leans towards an idea that when we die, we become part of the quantum world, and become non-locally spread out into everything.
interesting.
i don't know if i believe in souls. in one sense yes, in another no. i'm tired and it migth take a lot to describe that.
i'm going to bed now.

robert j sawyer (fairly famous toronto hard sci-fi author) wrote a book a bout a man who developed what was essentially a super sensitive EEG and with it observed electrical energy leaving the body on death. good book. set around u of t and toronto too. it's called the terminal experiment. quite worth the read.

~soulheaven~

TRIBE Member
I'm Catholic, and I was an Altar Bot (and a devoted one) for 6 years. I was never touched though in that way, though Tina will probably tell you that I was. =)

Anyway, I am thinking of following one of my former Classics professors at Queen's into 'Olympism' after being rather disenchanted with Catholicism (and consequently Christianity in the last decade or so of growing up). In fact, I have felt a little disenfranchised with religions of the world in sum total over the last while (though I'm sure we all have at times).

Anyway, I figure that if we are all wrong, and there is no god after all, then I'll at least have had fun practising a near cultish religion, and even if I don't REALLY believe in it, at least the allure of the occult and all it's secular practices will have satisfied something intrinsic to me and I can sacrifice things on my barbeque like the fate of the hamburgers I tried to cook for Tina a few nights ago. Now instead of being 'burned', I can say I was offering supplication to the divinities!

In any event, I will be sure to say a prayer to 'father' Zeus for all you sorry, misguided motherfuckers, and when Adrian and I are finished building the classic Roman Bath on his property in Italy, you are all invited over. =)

I think you guys should all become practicing 'Olympists' with me, and we cna have substance fueled Bacchalian orgies and....wait a second, u already do.....well Adrian, I think you could get into this. You can pray to Apollo as he is the patron god of poets, artists, sun-worshippers, and importantly here, PROGRESSIVE foreign currency speculators! =)

Cheers!

Greg

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
freaky flow spun a god awful set...
i feel that my 1.2 megabyte jpeg, my other 1.2 megabyte jpeg(which i did not post, question 1b), and my page of writing should have been worth a better set than that.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
oh, and now that im free to post before bed:

In response to the absurdity of 'God'

You compare the belief in God, to the belief in a 'pink elephant', citing the absurdity of the existence of 'pink elephants as transitive to the existence of 'God'.

Now, i will borrow from kirkegaard's argument on this.

He asks, how can we prove the existence of Napoleon? How do we know he existed? We do so by knowing the deeds he accomplished, and correlating those to literature which mentions him. This, however, proves not of the existence of Napoleon, but rather that someone, or some people, existed that carried out deeds attributed to Napoleon. Literature attributes these deeds to someone named Napoleon. You never know, however, maybe that literature is all false and something else did all the things that we think happened.
We cannot prove the existence of Napoleon, yet we for some reason accept his existence as fact. I accept his existence as fact.

The belief in God parallels this such that, If God is our creator, then our universe is his deeds. The design of the universe such that evolutionary forces(any evolution, not just biological) forces optimality over time could be attributed to this 'God'. We then have literature which correlates these deeds to 'God'. Now, it is possible that something else carried out these deeds, some unknown causal force, or if there was no beginning of the universe, just the nature of universes, however some people still attribute this universe to 'God'.
We cannot prove the existence of 'God', yet for some reason people accept his existence as fact. I accept nothing and assume nothing in this regard.

Where does the line exist where assumptions change from plausible to absurd? Who are you to draw this line?

One cannot stand atop a mountain and yell 1001 curses at those who do attribute ourselves to a 'God', when he follows the same assumptive logic that these people do. One cannot hope to be correct in riding the high horse and spitting on those he declares lower than himself simply because he does not agree with what they say. As the theoretical Jesus would say, 'let he who hath not sinned cast the first stone.'

The bottom line is, you can discount the existence of God as an absurdity if you like, however, placing this absurdity is an assumption in and of itself.Insofar as that, you sure as hell should not ridicule the people who disagree with your arbitrary assumption on this level of absurdity and believe in 'God', if you do so it should only be for the purposes of being a mean person to them..

And for future reference, although i was confirmed catholic, I do not believe in 'God', nor do I disbeleive. I sit on the fence, because it is pointy, and gives me a neat tingly feeling in my bum hole.

Last edited:

nusty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JayBrain

Ok.. 7 pages for this thread without this picture??
Sheesh!! what's wrong with you people!?!!?

or a proper high jacking!

What are you having for breakfast?

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
and when Adrian and I are finished building the classic Roman Bath on his property in Italy, you are all invited over.
I dunno ... that sounds more like an excuse for Greg to surround himself with wet, half-naked Tribers. :)

Loopster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JayBrain

Ok.. 7 pages for this thread without this picture??
Sheesh!! what's wrong with you people!?!!?
Where *do* you people find this stuff?? (Too funny ... I've never seen such a happy looking Jesus.)

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Re: don't scream at the mirror.

Originally posted by PosTMOd
What takes guts is to NOT believe in some external bullshit. What takes guts is to be able to examine yourself so thoroughly that you can take 100% responsibility for your actions, and the effects of those actions.
Sometimes I wonder if you intentionally set up a strawman, or if you only do so out of sheer oversight.

Since we're on the topic of Catholicism, let's examine the role of FREE WILL in the Catholic faith. Every person is ultimately responsible for themselves, including all of their thoughts, decisions, words, and actions. Sure, Catholics will tell you that God "granted" human beings a free will ... but that does not negate its existence.

Why else would a religion teach about heaven and hell, or in other words, the ultimate CONSEQUENCES of how one lives their life? Every Catholic knows they will each be judged upon death and held accountable for their actions.

Religion routinely calls upon people to examine their conscience, to examine their inner selves thoroughly before making decisions.

In fact, its usually "secular" people who subscribe to deterministic philosophies where humans are excused for their behaviour due to nature or nurture. The Catholic Church would never preach that stealing is wrong, unless you happened to grow up in the poverty of an inner city.

Free will and individual responsibility are central to religion.

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Loopster

Where *do* you people find this stuff?? (Too funny ... I've never seen such a happy looking Jesus.)
dude! it's BUDDY CHRIST from the movie Dogma. jeez!

Loopster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rosey
the people who scare me are not the ones that believe in god, that's essentially harmless and quite likely helps them in some way. it's the ones who believe they know what god wants. they scare the fuck out of me.
So true! I think that *anytime* a person acts as a agent of a higher being (whether it be religious/political or otherwise) & uses this role to justify evil deeds (however intended), it is a very scary thing indeed. That blind commitment & unquestioning certainty are more than a bit unnerving.

BTW: sorry for the late response ... just read over this thread this morning ...

Loopster

TRIBE Member
I'm proving myself to be quite the unreliable &/or inept former catholic ...

Sorry :D

Either way, the picture of Buddy Christ was hilarious ...