• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Carmina Burana

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
edit: play below before reading

If memory serves, it means "the Farmers' songs"

It's written in variations of Latin and Old German (ps: there is one old French song too, which is basically Latin), which is essentially Anglo-Saxon...

Aha, though but everyone has heard the first opening, (and it recurrs later on), in movies for certainty and especially previews (or "trailers" if your Justin Bieber's age),

I feel it's somewhat time to take a look at what they are actually saying, rather than merely enjoying the music, for its impact. (which it well deserves).

The opening lyrics set the whole tone: "Oh Fortuna, velut luna, statu variabilis", you don't need to speak Latin to understand this claim, which is, well, to my ear anyhow, obviously set in a tone of lament. It means, "Oh Fortune, like the moon, you are always changing." At least, that is my translation of it. It breaks many conventions, however, given the title, I'd offer that the end of the first "song", is quite a depressive mood, I interpret it as "come everyone and cry with me", I think the real words are "mecum omnes plangite".

But the middle parts, where no one listens, is all about life and joy and experimentation, I particularly like the parts about being a boy and a girl. Haha, innocent frolick! Haven't we all been there?

"Pubebilis", I can't find it right now. The part about where everyone gets drunk, including the priest. This is a serious nod to Hedonism.

My Ladies and Gentlemen, if I haven't already made it perfectly clear, I hereby reassert myself the sultan of Hedonism.

-jM
A&D

Post Scriptus:
Almost forgot the most important part!

-jM
A&D

Last edited: