• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The "can't see any eyebrow grooming threads" thread

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
So, I went to Gee Beauty couple of times and was pretty disappointed... with the threading and facial care. Needless to say, I won't go back there.
Anyhow, can anyone recommend me a good place downtown for eyebrow threading? I am not concerned about pricing, I just want the woman do to a great job with my stubborn eyebrows.

Many thanks.

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
My lady is decent and charges $3.99... but she's in the heart of Little India. Don't know if you want to make the trek to the east end just for eyebrows.

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
It's a little South Asian salon on the south side of Gerrard, just west of Coxwell. Don't know the name, but they do hair, sell jewellery, mend clothes etc. I get the whole face done (I know, I know, PAINFUL, and gross) and it's $15. Crazy ass cheap.

Take the 506 streetcar and get off at Coxwell - it's pretty much right in front of the TTC stop. I'm going tomorrow after work as a matter of fact.

zoo

TRIBE Member
my sister tells me the old punjabi women charge like $2 in brampton for eyebrow threading

you guys should come to brampton, where the rest of the GTA outsources labour

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
No appt necessary, just walk in. I've never had to wait. Waxing, I'm not sure... I'm going this afternoon so I can check it out and get a price list etc for you.

NOTE: it's not a high-end salon or anything like that, more like an Indian one-stop-shop. They don't speak english and there's no pampering involved, but I've been going for a year and people actually comment on how nice my eyebrows are (?) so that's something.

sugar

TRIBE Member
I am SO glad that I had the patience and willpower to let my brows grow in. When I look at photos of me just from early 2006, I shudder at how thin my brows were...and for so many years. I'll have to find some good before and after shots.

Killa, why do you want your brows professionally groomed? I *love* my tweezerman tweezers - bought them about 10 years ago, and they are still sharp and springy. I also love my Chanel brow pencil thingy. I very rarely use the actual pencil, but the brow comb and pencil sharpener (used for my eyeliner pencil) I use several times a week.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I have left my brows alone now with the occasional threading... everytime I tweeze, they just don't look as nice as they would if I have them done professionally. I have plucked all my life, and I just love that little "lift" that the threading creates. :)

Gfunkdiva, yeah... I want threading, not waxing.

kate

TRIBE Member
I am a bit eyebrow obsessed...Always trying to find someone who camn make my eyebrows the best ever. I went to Gee Beauty recently out of convenience (my dad lives around the corner), but there is also a lady at the Elmwood Spa named Gita who is AMAZING. She fixed my eyebrows better than they have ever been fixed. She does threading and does a really, really good job. I'll probably go back to her, although I did like Gee.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I found that the girl at Gee knew what she was doing, but she was rushing the job, it was my first time for threading and when I asked her questions about the whole process, she ignored me... also proceeded to do my left eyebrow while she was on the phone - which I found BEYOND unprofessional.

Bean

TRIBE Member
I wasn't too impressed with Gee Beauty either. . . . it seemed rather pricey for the service (which was good, but not phenomenal).

if you want waxing, i recommend vishnja at capucci (bloor/runnymede). the cost is around $14, if i recall correctly.

JLV

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
everytime i look at this thread i think the title says,

The "I can't see my eyebrow" thread

that would suck.
I think that's all relative Maz. if you can't see your eyebrows while looking in the mirror... bad. if you can't see your eyebrows while not looking in the mirror... good.

SpaceBabe

TRIBE Member
mariazmess said:
everytime i look at this thread i think the title says,

The "I can't see my eyebrow" thread

that would suck.

LOL.. that is what I read too. I thought it was a thread about over plucking!

I've moved away from my threader in northern Scarborough to someone around the corner from me. I've been three times now and I'm not 100% completely happy with the job she does even tho she's a nice person.

She threads too slowly which usually leaves me sore and red afterwards.

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
I went yesterday and picked up a flyer with the deets on it.

I lied - eyebrow threading is $4.99, not $3.99. Sorry about that. But upper lip is only 2 bucks! :)

It's officially called the Gerrard Beauty Parlour Tailoring & Boutique, at 1503 Gerrard St. East. It's a little bit west of the corner, like 3 shops. Their # is 647-438-5950.

Lemme know how it works out - she did a great job on my eyebrows yesterday.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I fear I may have to get mine non-permanently tinted if I choose to go a bit red with my hair.
My eyebrows are white and I keep a little shape to them near the arch, but truthfully when I try and tweeze most of the strays, they snap off b/c my hair is so fine.

anyone have any tips/advice for the coloring?

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
wooooo a $1.00 more... lol I am sure I won't go broke.

SOOOO excited, I am just going to walk in - do I have to ask for anyone in particular?
I appreciate letting me know all this info.

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Just walk in and point to your eyebrows. Seriously. They really don't speak much english - she'll just put you in the blue chair and get started. Try to tell her what kind of shape you want though - she's pretty receptive.

I don't tip that much, I don't think they really expect it - usually 1 or 2 bucks (especially on a $5 service) is fine. I usually leave $3-4 but my service is $15-18.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I am going to probably be there at 4:30 (leaving work at 4)...

I want a higher arch, not too thin, but not bushy either (would that be too hard for them to undertand)

Because I have no idea how much cover is, considering I have $20 in my pocket right now. :( I am FUCKING BROKE, and I wanna go, but can't aford it!!! :(

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Aah that's too bad... I won't be home til 8pm and I was gonna say you could come by for a drink before we head out (I live right around the corner from there) but you'll be long gone by then. Catch you next time!

(and yes, they should be able to understand that - she gave me a really nice shape last night, she's good. I really really hope you have a good experience - I hate recommending ppl just in case it doesn't work out!!)