• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Canada Post union is mostly full of overpaid, lazy cunts

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Hypothetical situation encountered by a friend.

You pre order something from Amazon and it's due to arrive on a certain day, you go to your super box (in a row of 8) that services your small block and find one of those doorknob alerts telling you to pick up your parcel the next day at xyz depot after a certain time.

No key left for one of the many bigger boxes available (but that doesnt matter because it fits easily in your box), no attempt to deliver the express post package to the door, when picking up the parcel they don't even ask for ID.

Would my friend in this hypothetical situation totally out of line to leave the empty package in the mailbox with a note along the lines of 'don’t make me do your job, deliver my mail'?

Is this indicative of a successful union? Does this have anything to do with unions?

acheron

TRIBE Member
it's flat out laziness. They do this all the time, the parcel guys. They indicate that they tried to knock and all that but they never do. I've escalated complaints to their customer service supervisors a few times because of this.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
416 said:
Reason #78945234 that the suburbs suck: You don't even get your own mailbox.
hahaha. Some suburb homes have mailboxes, but they're fakes to uphold the very careful image of a real community of indepedent families.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
screw canada post, TD sent me a cheque for $600 a month ago...never arrived.
so they resent it late last week, and again, still hasnt arrived.
WTF.
daddy needs a new pair of shoes...

rod_g

TRIBE Member
When does the City worker thread start.

I want to complain about the 12 people and 3 trucks it took to patch over 1 pothole outside my window.

derek

TRIBE Member
i even have an enclosed front porch where they can leave parcel, and to top it off i work most evenings. they never knock; their routes are pretty insane though, so there not trying to take too much time at each stop. they probably also have instructions not to release material that requires a signature without one. most the other courier companies will let the driver make the choice. if there's a secure place to leave the package and the declared value is low, they'll leave it.

i remember when i worked for RPS. the couriers loathed residential deliveries because most times people weren't home (and they couldn't just release the package in some cases). then of course the drivers would over time just stop knocking and leave the sticky, if they could release the package. eventually they'd get called out on it though.

it a vicious circle man.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
rod_g said:
When does the City worker thread start.

I want to complain about the 12 people and 3 trucks it took to patch over 1 pothole outside my window.
That would be another union! hmmm fishy.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Dude....I hate Canada Post...and vow never to use them again. I sent something expensive to Montreal via Xpresspost. Turns out, the package was incorrectly addressed and sent next door to another company. Neither Canada Post nor the other company knows where the item is. Canada post refuses to investigate. Other company claims never to have received the package. So I come up craps.

praktik

TRIBE Member
ya there's packages arriving here all the time.

I'd say 1 out of 10 gets an attempt, there's been weekdays off I've had where the notice mysteriously appeared in the afternoon even though I was home and sensitive to the arrival of a package (ie, I'd keep volumes low on TV so I could hear doorbell).

saskboy

TRIBE Member
Hi i'm God said:
Hypothetical situation encountered by a friend.

Would my friend in this hypothetical situation totally out of line to leave the empty package in the mailbox with a note along the lines of 'don’t make me do your job, deliver my mail'?

Is this indicative of a successful union? Does this have anything to do with unions?
As a brand new mailman, I can see maybe several factors at play. It doesn't necessarily follow that the guy who delivered the parcel had a key to your box. If he did, I can't see why he wouldn't have done so as it much simpler to deliver the package to your box rather than fill out the delivery notice. Carding the parcel, keeping it and then taking it back is more work.

The guy who delivers your mail most likely doesn't deliver parcels as well, so writing him a snide note will do nothing for you.

And no, it has nothing to do with unions.

JAR

TRIBE Member
a few months back I saw a canada post letter carrier, in uniform, buy a handful of crack cocaine in broad daylight in the middle of the sidewalk on Queen St. I wonder if it helps him make his deliveries faster?

octo

TRIBE Member
a friend of mine works for Canada Post. he says we should be thankful we get our mail at all. He says he's never worked with so many stoners. At the sorting centre it's all so automated that people regularly sleep on the job. When he's walking around and hear's stuff repeatedly falling on the ground it's usually cause the sorting machine got jammed and the "operator" is asleep while letters/packages are rhythmically cascading to the floor.

RobotHouse

TRIBE Member
octo said:
a friend of mine works for Canada Post. he says we should be thankful we get our mail at all. He says he's never worked with so many stoners. At the sorting centre it's all so automated that people regularly sleep on the job. When he's walking around and hear's stuff repeatedly falling on the ground it's usually cause the sorting machine got jammed and the "operator" is asleep while letters/packages are rhythmically cascading to the floor.
living the dream...

lobo

TRIBE Member
416 said:
Reason #78945234 that the suburbs suck: You don't even get your own mailbox.
I assume you mean the suburbs outside of Toronto? Because there are suburbs or what downtown people refer to suburbs within Toronto as well and they certainly have mailboxes.

Lobo

TRIBE Member
lobo said:
I assume you mean the suburbs outside of Toronto? Because there are suburbs or what downtown people refer to suburbs within Toronto as well and they certainly have mailboxes.

Lobo
scintillating

Mailman Stories
  • My mailman at home: he is awesome. He will buzz me and leave a VM when I get a big catalogue, or when I get important stuff like a tax form, because he knows I'm waiting for it.
  • My mailman at work: he is also awesome. someone sent a gift to the WRONG suite number (a bunch of cracked out street kids in the call centre below us), and he gave it to me without any hassle at all, even though it had the wrong address on it.
  • Another mailman attempted to ram his mail truck into my friend while he was parked at the side of the road loading his car with a recently purchased item. The mailman was yelling and screaming at my friend, inching the truck forward and revving the engine, till finally he drove it towards my friend. My pal managed jumped out of the way in time, and the mail truck rammed into the car bumper, puncturing it with the screws holding the plate on. He was charged with 'attempted bodily harm using a vehicle' or something, and suspended from work I *think* without pay. When it came to trial, he was LET OFF BY THE JUDGE BECAUSE the judge (direct quote) did not "want to have this affect his permanent work record". Even with a witness to the incident.