• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

the cabbagetown thread!

patio-d

TRIBE Member
WOOOOOOOOOO... just found out that I'll almost certainly be living at Wellesley and Parliament as of Nov. 1. I've been living in Kensington Market for the last few years and am SUPER EXCITED for a move. Most of my friends are scattered around the west end of the city, but from what I've seen of Cabbagetown I think I'm really going to be happy with the move eastbound. Jet Fuel, Indian food, Riverdale park, Don Valley bike trails... What else do I have to look forward to?
Where are my Cabbagetown peoples?!

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Be sure to say hello to the "got any CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" lady who sits infront of the No Frills. She's the bestest

Jet Fuel is good.... very yummy, I love Timotyhs Tikka Hut.

I live in The Winchester, to bad its turning into a Tim Hortons below, pffft!

choko

TRIBE Member
welcome to the neighbourhood, patio-d. it's really great.

Originally posted by kaniz
Be sure to say hello to the "got any CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" lady who sits infront of the No Frills. She's the bestest
wish you could have seen the look on her face when my girl gave her a fiver. so pleased.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
i live directly above timothy's tikka hut! right next door is a nice new place called big momma's boy, it's quite charming. i miss the winchester. :( it's a good place for groceries as there's a no frills and a food basics for cheap essentials and a couple of boutique food places for nicer stuff. there's a million and one coffee shops (soon to be 2 tim's, java house, coffee time, coffee cup--i.e. sketch central--jet fuel, etc.) it's also a great place for second hand clothes shopping as there's a planet aid, a goodwill and the double take. johnny g's is the place for brunch. if you like girls the scenery's good as there's a dance school so lots of lithe female bodies around, as well as a fair smattering of sexy lesbians, though it seems the dyke bar is done and gone. the gerrard street library sucks, but that's ok now that they have a nice new library in the st jamestown centre.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
i love the st. jamestown library.

rashnaa's is awesome for indian/sri lankan food. lysistrata - how is timothy's tikka hut? i've never eaten there.

choko

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
i live directly above timothy's tikka hut! right next door is a nice new place called big momma's boy, it's quite charming... johnny g's is the place for brunch. if you like girls the scenery's good as there's a dance school so lots of lithe female bodies around...
yeah right jane. i live across from the dance school, and had my girlfriend's birthday dinner at big momma's boy. hahaha...

agreed on johnny g's, but i'm a big fan of cranberries too. good price, and a killer western omelette.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
also having a block buster right next door to me is handy, I've been in there wrecked far too many times.

having a LCBO and Beer Store near by also is handy (and cause of me being wrcked at block buster).

lots of pet stores also

Mexiccana or whatever is ok, I also like House on Parliment. Also seems to be like, a gazillion places to get your hair cut.

dyad

TRIBE Member
loved Timothy's really really good chicken

its a most convenient strip, everything within spitting distance, and a laundromat that gives you free detergent down by carlton.

House on Parliament does a mean brunch with I think its called their parliament eggs with hollondaise, poached egg mozzarella and pancetta on the english muff

My heart hurt after eating it

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Chinatown grocery shopping. Will save you so much $$$.

And late night drunken visits to my house!

patio-d

TRIBE Member
ahh i'm so excited. thanks for the info!
Granted there will be sacrifices. Trading in my beloved Gandhi rotis for this Timothy's Tikka Hut you speak of. Giving up Queen Video and Suspect for the hated Blockbuster. But screaming women in front of No Frills and drunk chinese grocery shopping at mofo's house should make it all worth the effort. we should meet up for a neighbourhood pint sometime in November.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
no, no don't go to blockbuster! grr, evil. go south of blockbuster just past carlton to the little local video shop. nancy who works there is a mite crazy but has a vast film knowledge and there's another girl who works there, her name's either andrea or amanda, and i might have a teensy weensy little crush on her.

if you're more into boys, my super hot friend james works at planet aid.

janie, the timothy's is good: great saag paneer and aloo gobi. i can't speak as to meat dishes, being veg. i do, however, find them a bit pricey for the amount you get (i'm used to indian buffets... yummm.)

if you cook ethnic shop at ambal, so good. and they're really nice, one time they didn't have my curried cashews nad they tore the place apart looking for them, and then when they qascertained they really wqere out they were helpful in recommending me other options, which led to my first jackfruit experience. yum.

ya know, i actually haven't been to cranberries. i should do that.

HOP is good, but it gets kinda painfully trendy (and packed) in there. Brass Taps has cheap pithcers (and during the cabbagetown festival is had techno on the roof! if anyone knows who those DJs were, I'd like to know.)

I can see the beer store from my balcony: my liver has suffered from living here....

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
if you cook ethnic shop at ambal, so good. and they're really nice, one time they didn't have my curried cashews nad they tore the place apart looking for them, and then when they qascertained they really wqere out they were helpful in recommending me other options, which led to my first jackfruit experience. yum.
is this place on the east side of parliament just south of wellesley?

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by janiecakes
is this place on the east side of parliament just south of wellesley?
yep!

i <3 my neighbourhood. i didn't realize anyone on here other than kaniz lived in the cabbagetown though. hello neighbour choko.

millicent

TRIBE Member
BAKE SHOP is my favourite bakery in Toronto.. little rotis for $1 - $1.25 (veggie, beef & fish), giant pastries, fresh bread, good coffee and the friendliest staff anywhere.. and it's open til 10pm for some reason.. it's next to Cranberries (east side of parliament, south of wellesley)

Don't go to Blockbuster, go to 241 Video (next to 241 Pizza south of Carlton) like Lysistrata suggested

The sketchy muffin shop across from no frills has really good muffins

When I have friends over to my hood I always take them to House of Parliament

I love cabbagetown!

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
omg millicent, good work--i can't believe i forgot the bake shop! best thing on a nice morning is to go over there and pick up some danishes nad croissants... ummm, my fave's the cream cheese danish.

Papillon

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by millicent
BAKE SHOP is my favourite bakery in Toronto.. little rotis for $1 - $1.25 (veggie, beef & fish), giant pastries, fresh bread, good coffee and the friendliest staff anywhere.. and it's open til 10pm for some reason.. it's next to Cranberries (east side of parliament, south of wellesley)

Don't go to Blockbuster, go to 241 Video (next to 241 Pizza south of Carlton) like Lysistrata suggested

The sketchy muffin shop across from no frills has really good muffins

When I have friends over to my hood I always take them to House of Parliament

I love cabbagetown!
Where is the Bake Shop?????

choko

TRIBE Member
st. jamestown bakery has some great breads if you're looking for that. parliament/winchester, se corner.

i'm also a big fan of the sushi place just north of carlton on the east side, eaten there lots of times.

gak

TRIBE Member
I'll have to agree with those above...don't go to blockbuster...241 video is awesome...I always pick the movies nancy suggests and they are always great...

the loss of the winchester was abit of a blow...still haven't found a suitable replacement...

pretty diverse neighbourhood...from the multimillionaire homeowners to the crackheads that hang out in my back alley...