• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Butterfly Effect - review

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Saw it tonight and I was surprised...I didn't hate it like I thought I would.

I think Ashton is good as a dumb and pretty character, and didn't think he could pull off anything dramatic or suspenseful. And, well, this movie doesn't convince me that he can. He's kind of a new Keanu, just looking mystified through the whole movie. The character I didn't think was too demanding of an actor. But he didn't annoy me and was good at the humourous bits.

The story revolves around a college student who discovers he can go back in time, change things and improve the lives of the people around him. Of course, every time he does that, he fucks up something else, so he keeps doing it. The story had enough twists and turns to keep me interested, despite the lame script and some bad acting. I can understand the comparison with Donnie Darko (time travel, not being sure what part of the plot is reality etc.) although that movie is far superior. There's a lot more violence (some of it sadistic) than I expected so that might bother people who are sensitive.

Happy it was free...wouldn't pay full price for it but it was enjoyable enough to be a renter or a Rainbow Cinema kind of flick.

~jen

zoo

TRIBE Member
good review, thanks for posting it

i had 2 free passes to an 'advance' screening but didn't go, and i felt bad

but if it's more of a renter then i'll do just that :0)

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I wanted to see this movie and from watching the previews I wouldn't compare it to Donnie Darko at all.

It just has time travel that's it..

Donnie Darko is all talking about loop holes and what not..

This movie I dont think would be a thinker like Donnie Darko.

Thanks for the review :D

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Well, it's not exactly like Donnie Darko but in some ways it's similar...young male lead trying to figure out his reality, the whole choices/fate idea, mental illness etc. How can you say if you haven't seen it?

~jen

rentboy

TRIBE Member
i'm finding it amusing how directors are attempting to fit Ashton into serious roles.

I recall Soderberg wanted to give him a shot but asked Kutcher to calm down on his party life..alas, it fell thru.

He's totally a new Keanu.

and i can see comparisons with Donnie Darko from the previews...not just in plot, but in the actual tone and mood that it's trying to set.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
Well, it's not exactly like Donnie Darko but in some ways it's similar...young male lead trying to figure out his reality, the whole choices/fate idea, mental illness etc. How can you say if you haven't seen it?

~jen

bc i know what kind of movie it is..
i can usually tell from the commercial.

not to mention they basically told most of the movie during the preview at the beginning of a movie i went to see.

I still want to see it though

and i loved donnie darko.. i just didnt think it would be like that bc Darko is such a thinking movie and this movie doens't look like it will go in depth..

I can't even explain what im thinking.
im so bad at this.

Originally posted by rentboy
i'm finding it amusing how directors are attempting to fit Ashton into serious roles.

I recall Soderberg wanted to give him a shot but asked Kutcher to calm down on his party life..alas, it fell thru.

He's totally a new Keanu.

and i can see comparisons with Donnie Darko from the previews...not just in plot, but in the actual tone and mood that it's trying to set.

Apparently he's slowing down a bit. He wants to be taken a bit more seriously in his acting career, he dropped "Punk'd" now that it's become so popular and he's looking to go beyond being viewed as Kelso for the rest of his life.

I think he might pull it off. From the clips I saw of him in this, it didn't look too bad, and it struck me as a step in the right direction, teaming up for this metaphysical thriller dreamed up by the guys who did Final Destination 2.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye
i just didnt think it would be like that bc Darko is such a thinking movie and this movie doens't look like it will go in depth..

It doesn't but that doesn't mean they don't have similarities...they definitely do.

~jen

zoo

TRIBE Member

maybe K_la is at Hawk Eye's house :0)

while it's impossible to tell what a movie it is from the commercial, it may be possible to tell what kind of movie it by reading reviews

commercials can be very misleading

i watched 2 Fast 2 Furious last weekend and normally i would -never- watch this movie but i ended up enjoying it alot in a freddie prinze & rachel leigh cook type way, only with paul walker and tyrese instead, which made it somewhat homosexual but hey i bet i'm not the only one that made the connection

after all, they drive around neon rice rockets for half the movie

you just know something's up. from the commercial even.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
Zoo, if you liked 2 fast 2 furious, check out Torque. Goddam was it ever dumb, but it was entertainingly dumb.

Was it swillyesque in its entertaining stupidity?

Originally posted by zoo
if paul walker isn't in it i'm not interested

:p

It's got the guy from The Ring.

He's like Paul Walker....But without the Walkerness.

Or the Paulness

I got to laugh at a guy who wears motorcycle leathers throughout the movie with CARPE DIEM written across the chest.

C'mon, you got to see it just for that.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I can't stand 2 fast 2 furious.
I just think it's dumb
from the very beginning at the demolition derby. One of the rules is you can't hit from the front and from the drivers side door!!! i know it's just a movie but geeze.

and for the love of God why did you go and see Torque?

i'd probably rent it, but watch it in the theatre??

JMan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
I haven't seen Swilly do triple flips with a motorbike and I doubt he goes 200 mph, so I really can't say.

Such a good idea though... every single dude (or lady) that owns or dreams about owning a speed bike will hit it up AND buy the DVD.

maddog

TRIBE Member
I heard something about Russell Crowe directing a flick that Ashton supposed to be in but Crowe supposedly called him a disgrace and a bum etc.... and then proceeded to kick his ass off the movie!!!! anybody know the story on this?

roojew

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
LOL...I love how Hollywood gossip is total "broken telephone." It was Cameron Crowe. I don't think Russell has ever directed a movie or plans too. And he wouldn't call him a "bum" or a "disgrace"...all that we know are rumours that Crowe wasn't impressed with his acting.

Ashton also didn't have an affair with Sheryl Crowe. Just in case you heard that too.

~jen

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member

not to mention they basically told most of the movie during the preview at the beginning of a movie i went to see.

don't think it's quite fair to draw a conclusion that you feel that confident about just from seeing a commercial.

sometimes a commercial doens't impress you much but when you end up seeing the actual movie you're blown away.

ok

not often

but sometimes

at the very least you can't know if there are subtleties of character or moments in the movie that are comparable just from watching a trailer.

Stan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
LOL...I love how Hollywood gossip is total "broken telephone." It was Cameron Crowe. I don't think Russell has ever directed a movie or plans too. And he wouldn't call him a "bum" or a "disgrace"...

Ashton also didn't have an affair with Sheryl Crowe. Just in case you heard that too.

I heard that Ashton did Sheryl Crowe in the bum and then he spooged on her face.

So much for Hollywood Broken Telephone.

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
I have to say i liked this movie quite a bit. Kutcher was able to move beyond his pretty-dumb boy character somewhat- I mean his acting is hardly pacino or deniro quality but he was pretty good in it.

One of the better movies i've seen in a while.

~allie~