• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The budding gardeners thread.

echootje

TRIBE Member
Get it? Budding gardeners... hehe. :)

oh nevermind. :(

This is the thread for gardening advice and tips and discussion

Anyways, lately I've discovered that I'm addicted to growing all sorts of plants. I've spent so much time gardening at my place I'm growing a jungle. I helped my dad make me a plant-light setup so that I can provide a nursery light to some plants in a spot which isn't conducive to healthy plants. It has totally rejeuvenated my pitcher plant which was suffering for lack of light.

I'm especially proud of my Pitcher plant (which is the beginning of a carnivorous plant garden!) my Diefenbacchia (Dumb Cane) which is struggling right now and I'm not sure why) and large and thoroughly overgrown Shamrock and Jade which both need repotting sometime this spring.

I highly recommend a full spectrum plant light, they're cheap and easy to set up (~$20 with fixture) if you're having trouble with your indoor gardens.

Rob

note: I haven't tried growing any illicit substances yet, most likely I'll start that with the kind of plants which grow in dark, airless confined spaces. My intentions at this time are strictly above board.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
If you want a good challenge, try growing a Salvia Divonorum plant (totally legal, and you can buy seedlings downtown).

Plus you'll get the added bonus of having an instant mind-fuck around if you should ever feel the need.

Right now I've got a few plants for cooking purposes (Basil & Oregano), and a San Pedro cactus that's not even the size of the top of my pinky that I've grown from a seed. I can't wait until it's big enough for me to tear off a piece and munch on it. Hello alkaloids and mescaline!

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
I'm an outdoor gardener.

Raspberries, Strawberries, my 3 Apple trees, multiple Blueberry bushes and whatever is going to be my "feature food" of the season.

So far my best has been Honeydew melons!

Hurrah!

AlyG

TRIBE Member
One of my plants is no longer flowering. Is it the time of year/change in light or should I be mixing extra nutrients (nitrogen? potassium?) in the water? I already have a general nutrient mix that I use which has all of them growing, but not really flowering.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Caz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
If you want a good challenge, try growing a Salvia Divonorum plant (totally legal, and you can buy seedlings downtown).

Plus you'll get the added bonus of having an instant mind-fuck around if you should ever feel the need.

Right now I've got a few plants for cooking purposes (Basil & Oregano), and a San Pedro cactus that's not even the size of the top of my pinky that I've grown from a seed. I can't wait until it's big enough for me to tear off a piece and munch on it. Hello alkaloids and mescaline!
elaborate on the cactus! I've been thinking of doing this for a while.

where did you get the seeds? are they hard to raise?
is it illegal?

echootje

TRIBE Member

Heya Pete! If you feel like propagating that puppy give me a ring. It's very easy.

FYI get a fluorescent grow light and you'll see rapid results with the basil (and the cacti)

Rob

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
my pitcher plant totally DIED. it was doin all right then i left it with the bf while i went away to europe, and i come back, and DEAD. totally not his fault, he is way better with plants than it, just not enough light.

my bonsai died too.

i suck at plants.

seeker

TRIBE Member
echootje, did you purchase your pitcher plant, or transplant it from the wild? I've never heard of people growing them indoors. that would be pretty cool...

echootje

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AlyG
One of my plants is no longer flowering. Is it the time of year/change in light or should I be mixing extra nutrients (nitrogen? potassium?) in the water? I already have a general nutrient mix that I use which has all of them growing, but not really flowering.
What is it? How long have you had it and where is it kept?

Pretty much every plant has a flowering period which can be seasonal, or based on a cycle, sometimes only once a year, sometimes 4 or 5 times throughout the year. Most perennials NEED a rest period (winter) in which little growth occurs, so they can rest up. Generally during those winter periods you should water sparingly, don't fertlize (or fertilize very little) and place it in a cooler area. That's what the books say. Basically just acknowledge that your plant won't grow for a couple of months and don't over water (that's key). You'll see flower buds in spring :)

Rob

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

echootje

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mutslaster
my pitcher plant totally DIED. it was doin all right then i left it with the bf while i went away to europe, and i come back, and DEAD. totally not his fault, he is way better with plants than it, just not enough light.

my bonsai died too.

i suck at plants.
The traditional Bonsai as gift for christmas is a curse to most gardeners :) They grow so slowly that it's very difficult to guage progress of the plant until it's irretrievably gone :)

Rob

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I've got a Fickus (sp?) in my mainroom that I just repotted because he was getting too big for his old pot.

I feel rather domestic.

Speaking of gardening, this is more on the micro level. has anyone taken care of a juniper bonsai before?

tips?

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje
The traditional Bonsai as gift for christmas is a curse to most gardeners :) They grow so slowly that it's very difficult to guage progress of the plant until it's irretrievably gone :)

Rob
i'd really like to avoid it, and i've wanted a bonsai for a long time. right now i have him by a window because they apparently like cold and am submerging him in warm water for 10 minutes, every ten days of so. although, even though he has drain holes, he soil is still moist almost a week later.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje

Rob
i've had mine for over a year-- it was indeed a xmas present last year. it did okay for a while, then had spider mites, then it came back but never flowered (it was a serissa). then once i moved i couldn't find the right balance of light/water/heat and it just started to die slowly. the leaves are all gone but the root system is still intact and strong, is there any chance of saving it? should i keep watering it?

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mutslaster
i've had mine for over a year-- it was indeed a xmas present last year. it did okay for a while, then had spider mites, then it came back but never flowered (it was a serissa). then once i moved i couldn't find the right balance of light/water/heat and it just started to die slowly. the leaves are all gone but the root system is still intact and strong, is there any chance of saving it? should i keep watering it?
MURDERERER!

sk8

TRIBE Member
I like plants. I'm hoping to start a cooking garden soon.

right now i've got 1 giant cactus (3-4 ft), 1 medium cactus that steve's grandad grew from seed, 3 little cactii, 2 Ficus benjamina, 1 pepper plant, 1 kinda succulent yellow flowering plant that i forget what its called, a pot of yellow daisyish flowers, 1 pot of mixed plants from a friend

excited to start on my herb garden - any suggestions? i know i want basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary....

Moez

TRIBE Member
San Pedro cactus that's not even the size of the top of my pinky that I've grown from a seed. I can't wait until it's big enough for me to tear off a piece and munch on it. Hello alkaloids and mescaline!
booooooooooooooooooo. you can't kill him!!! I won't let you, mr.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by caz
elaborate on the cactus! I've been thinking of doing this for a while.

where did you get the seeds? are they hard to raise?
is it illegal?
It's a San Pedro cactus, similar to the Peyote. Although it is less potent in regards to the amount of peyote in it, it grows a fair bit faster so in the end you end up with more useable stuff. Mine's barely a year old, and it's been slow going. Since I have a south-facing window in my room, it gets the most light in the winter time.

I picked up the seeds at a little store at Younge & Wellesley called the Sacred Seed. (www.sacredseed.com)
I think it was $10 for 20 seeds or something, I still hve some left at home that I should probably at least try to plant. I had three little babies when I first tried growing them, but I knocked the pot over one day and lost two of them.

Otherwise they're fairly easy to care for, I water from the bottom so as not to disturb it when it's really small, and if I hadn't knocked the other two off I'm sure they'd be doing alright by now.

Sacred Seed is also where I picked up my Salvia seedling, that was around $30. Fucking thing is soooo sensitive and needs lots of humidity. After a couple of days, it was already starting to dry up, so I setup a humidity tent which made it start to wilt. By the end of the first week, the plant was completely dead. At least I had enough leaves on it to pack a good bowl with... man was that ever fucked up.

echootje, wouldn't the cactus be too small to propagate? It's only slightly bigger than a pencil eraser.

I'll look into the flourescent grow light too. thx.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Moez
booooooooooooooooooo. you can't kill him!!! I won't let you, mr.
I wouldn't kill him. I'd only take off a piece once it was big enough that it wouldn't die from it.

Don't worry baby. :)

hmm... maybe I should drop a couple more seeds into some soil and see what happens.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't kill him. I'd only take off a piece once it was big enough that it wouldn't die from it.

Don't worry baby. :)

hmm... maybe I should drop a couple more seeds into some soil and see what happens.
junkie.

echootje

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
echootje, did you purchase your pitcher plant, or transplant it from the wild? I've never heard of people growing them indoors. that would be pretty cool...
I'd never seen one for sale in Canada until I walked past a plant store on Harbord at Spadina (S. side just W. of Spadina).

I bought it and it was doing poorly until I did some research and found out how much light plays a factor in it's growth. I also repotted it into a larger pot. Apparently plastic pots are best.

Carnivorous plants DON'T get thier nurtrients from the soil, it's how they evolved in acidic soil areas. They adapted to get nutrients from other means, so don't fertilize them, make sure they are well watered but well aerated (mix of peat moss, perlite and sphagnum moss )as well, lots of light and your should be okay. I don't intend to feed my pitcher, but i will occaisionaly add a water/plant formula to it's pitchers to top them up.

Mine is growing two baby plants so I could pot one of them for you when they're ready?

Rob