• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Birth Control Thread!

girlnextdoor

TRIBE Member
Do you still love it?

I'm going to talk to my doctor about this at my next physical, I don't want to get pregnant again for 2-3 years and am considering getting one.
i ended up switching to the hormonal one after about 6 months because my periods ended up becoming insanely heavy (like i needed to wear a pad AND a tampon and i was still having leaks!). i was quite resistant to the idea of the hormonal one because i've never liked hormonal methods i've tried before however i find the IUD to be quite different. i don't notice ANY of the emotional side effects (no depression, weight gain, mood swings or loss of libido) with it. the one side effect that it does have for me, however, is spotting. i've had it now for almost a year and i am still having spotting on occasion. i think this generally resolves for most people so i'm trying to hold on a bit longer hoping that it will eventually go away. it's annoying but not really the biggest deal. aside from the spotting i really, really love it! it was no big deal to have it inserted (though i've had a baby so i'm sure that makes it easier than for women who haven't).

given my experience with the non-hormonal IUD i can't recommend it! i had normal periods before getting it and was shocked at how heavy they ended up becoming. i'm sure i became anemic during those months i was using it!

hahnsa

TRIBE Member
K, so I'm reviving an old thread (a really old thread, actually, but given how long it's been around and active, I guess there's no end to the craziness of us women and our cycles).

First, I'm super-jealous of all you ladies who have stopped the BCP and gotten normal periods, right on time. I took my last BCP on April 30 and now it's June 11th...no period. I'll spare you the math - it's been six weeks. I don't think I'm preggers, but if I am, bring it on - this is the most asymptomatic pregnancy I've ever heard of (no breast tenderness, no bloating, no cramping, no weight gain, no nausea, no morning sickness...you get the point). I'm a candidate to end up on that show "I didn't know I was pregnant!...until I was having the baby" (I love TLC).

More likely, I think my system is rusty/dusty from misuse. I was on Triphasil 21 for 8 years and then switched two years ago to Yasmin. I guess the grass can always be greener though, as I *never* had any of the problems with either pill that you have been describing throughout this thread. About a year or more ago I started getting uncomfortable with the idea of years of synthetic hormone use and no natural monthly cycles. I finally convinced my man that I needed a break. I wish he was as supportive of this move as some other guys seem to have been, although I wasn't bitch-on-wheels manic crazy while on it either, although I did experience a few major bouts of depression over the years (funny that doctors never suggested I try stopping the pill to help...no, they'd rather prescribe anti-depressants and get me spending $ on twice as many pills).

Anyway, I'm hoping that my period will show up soon (hard to believe I'm looking forward to cramping, bad skin, and water weight). I used to work out like a superfiend and although I've cut back lately I think this could be part of what's taking so long to get my cycle going. Anything that I can do, naturally, to bring about ovulation? I eat pretty welll, I take vitamins and mineral supplements, I work out moderately on a regular basis and I try to have sex frequently (although loverman seems to be in the mood a lot less lately - I think he's totally terrified I'll get pg even though it doesn't appear that I'm ovulating yet).
I was on the bcp for 10 years. went off of it 1.5 years ago and i only just got my period for the first time a few months ago (and it's not even regular yet - like ill get it once every 6-7 weeks). Apparently this is really common. If you were on it for a very long time, it just might take a while (like a year or so) before your menstrual cylce becomes regular again. It's taken me almost two years! Don't sweat it. Enjoy it.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
I have a non-hormonal IUD (copper) and everything's great! My period was super heavy, but it seems to be getting back to normal now. I've had a baby so it was easier to insert (or so says the doctor)...

I had spotting at first, but it stopped. I had zero discomfort. Love it!

orchid

TRIBE Member
No one has posted in this thread for a year and a half!

Does anyone with a copper IUD have experience with it being expelled? I had mine inserted 2.5 weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. The insertion was pure hell, but I've had no issues since then. Until Sunday morning when I checked, and could feel the tip of the IUD outside of my cervix :eek:

It hasn't moved any further. I am having heavy spotting now, so I think I'm getting my period any day -- which is probably what caused my IUD to get expelled. Just so happens my follow up appointment is this evening, so I'll see what she says. I'm really hoping I don't have to get it removed and re-inserted. I love this thing, and I don't want to go through another insertion. I hope she can just shove it back up there somehow, with little to no pain.

Anyone been through this? What ended up happening?

Last edited:

erika

TRIBE Member
If you check for earlier posts from me, you'll see that I had nothing but hassles with a copper IUD: excrutiating pain on insertion, multiple infections, boyfriend being able to feel it despite being average in that regard.
I have nothing good to say about them.

orchid

TRIBE Member
If you check for earlier posts from me, you'll see that I had nothing but hassles with a copper IUD: excrutiating pain on insertion, multiple infections, boyfriend being able to feel it despite being average in that regard.
I have nothing good to say about them.
I saw your posts a few weeks ago, before my insertion. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I went for it even though I was terrified, because it's the only bc I felt comfortable with ultimately. I absolutely cannot take hormones, so it's the only option that lets me have the carefree, barrier-free sex that my partner and I want, without hormones.

For me, the insertion was also excruciating, and the rest of the day I was uncomfortable. Oh, let's not forget the Misoprostal pill I had to use the night before which brought the worst cramps I've ever had in my life, and actually had me thinking about not going through with the insertion.

But since the day after insertion, I've been completely normal, save for some light spotting here and there. No other problems. It's been incredible. Though my boyfriend can feel the strings, which I figured I could just have trimmed. He says it hurts a bit. And he felt a bad poke the other morning, which was the tip of the IUD coming out :(

I'm not looking forward to going through insertion again, but I think it's worth it, if it will just stay in there! I've read that it's rare to be expelled, but there's a higher chance in women who have never been pregnant like me. Sigh. There is absolutely no bc that is perfect, I guess.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
I, like erika, had some issues with my IUD. I posted about the problems on page 2
see HERE

my problem was basically the opposite of yours - yours wants to expel itself and mine wanted to stay in FOREVER haha (mine was surgically removed via D&C).
if you haven't had kids, you may experience heavier / crampier periods like I did. I was pretty happy to go back on the pill after my ordeal.
i didn't have to worry about BC after having my kids b/c my husband went the vasectomy route.
After having two kids my periods are quite long and heavy (at least a week, need super tampons for a minimum of 4 days) and i'd like to go back on the pill to fix that but i really can't justify it b/c i ultimately don't 'need' to put the hormones in my body, just to have lighter periods... it's tempting though.

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
Hi orchid, sorry to hear about your IUD problems. The encouraging news is that just because you expelled it once doesn't mean that it'll happen again.

Did you have the Nova-T or Flexi-T? The Flexi-T is the newer model, it's also smaller and cheaper than the Nova-T. The downside is that many docs aren't familiar with it and can't do the insertion. Since you haven't been pregnant you may want to go with the smaller Flexi-T. I've had mine for just over a year and it's been terrific.

Nova-T vs. Flexi-T debate: iud_divas: Canadian Question: Nova-T or Flexi-T?

Here's a good comparison of all the IUDs commonly available in Canada (note the sizes and failure rates): The occasional intrauterine contraceptive device insertion

Another factor of IUD expulsion is your doctor's experience level. Does (s)he routinely insert IUDs? I've read some horrorible insertion experiences online and was so thankful I waited to get an appt with a terrific ob/gyn (my own insertion took 3 mins tops).

About the string, it usually softens up over time and if long enough can curl up into the cervix. If it's cut it too short the end will be pokey.

orchid

TRIBE Member
Thanks Psyrel, that's really helpful!

Well, I can't remember which copper IUD I have. It cost me $85 at my doctor's office though, if that helps. At my doc appt on Tues, she couldn't see it or feel it at my cervix. She did say the strings were longer, so it has definitely come down a bit. I had an ultrasound yesterday, and while the tech really shouldn't have been talking to me about it, I got the impression she thinks it's quite low and should come out. Not that she's a doctor. I've had some cramping since last night, and I've been bleeding all week. I am assuming it will have to come out at this point. It hasn't come down any further at least. Who knows, I'll keep ya posted!

My insertion also took just a couple minutes altogether. I think my doc is fairly experienced at this point, though my sister went to her 5 or 6 years ago to have one inserted, and the insertion failed miserably. I think my doc has had a lot of experience since then. She seemed quite knowledgeable.

Thanks for the tip re: the strings. My bf def says he feels them, and it does hurt, and I'd say it affects him overall...he's anticipating feeling them, which probably takes away from his enjoyment, and keeps him on the cautious side. I'll give it some more thought about whether to trim or not.

If it does come out, I hope to get it put back in asap. I hate the thought of going through that pain again, but I've loved having it, and don't want to be without it. It's the best birth control I've ever used.

Last edited:

orchid

TRIBE Member
Verdict is in: it's gotta come out. Appt on Saturday :(

Now I'm debating what to do. I'm told I can have another one inserted right then. I don't know what else to do for birth control. This feels like such an agonizing decision. I've been through hell with hormonal bc. And I refuse to allow my libido to be affected, because then what's the point of even being on bc? But that insertion was insanely painful....and now it's being expelled after just 2.5 weeks! Pretty upsetting.

I guess ultimately, I'll probably end up getting it re-inserted. I simply don't know what else to do for birth control.

:(

erika

TRIBE Member
That's too bad. I'm assuming you tried several variants of the pill?
When I went back on briefly before getting my tubes tied, I was first given one that was supposed to be "very mild with the lowest side effects" and it was AWFUL.

I ballooned up and felt horrible. Went on another one and had no issues whatsoever.

And had been on several well before my daughter was born and also had no issues.

So perhaps worth a shot for the peace of mind in the meantime?

sk8

TRIBE Member
Have you considered a different type of IUD? I have a mirena, and while it has a hormone - it's a much lower dose than the pill and targeted, so maybe it wouldn't have the same extreme effects? It's plastic - so maybe it wouldn't cause some of the issues? I have no idea if that's actually a possibility, but I like mine!

orchid

TRIBE Member
Thanks girls. I'm super hesitant about using any hormonal bc whatsoever. After being on the pill in the past, only for a year and a half, I went through the worst PMS imaginable for a couple years, until I spent over a year seeing a naturopath to fix it up again. It was truly horrendous. I wouldn't want to go on the pill to try to find the right one, because I'm afraid the affects of it would linger in my body again. No can do.

I'm debating getting fitted for a diaphragm. Or gathering up the courage to go through a second insertion. The removal on Saturday was virtually painless...wish the insertion could be that easy...I'd head to my doctor's to get it done right now!

She said I may not be a good candidate. If I were to get another one, it may stay in, it may not.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
the ever amazing Red Tent Sisters are offering a deal today (Earth Day) for their natural birth control program (Justisse method).
Here's their website Red Tent Sisters

What's included:

▪ Over three hours of audio instruction
▪ A Justisse starter kit (including charts, stickers and a BBT thermometer)
▪ Two private 30 minute consultations with a Holistic Reproductive Health Practitioner (in person, by phone, or Skype)
▪ Access to monthly Q&A calls with three time slots to choose from
▪ A monthly accountability journal
▪ Access to a private Facebook forum

Earth Day gift to you, I'm offering $100 off the Eco-Contraception program if you register in the next 24 hours. Eco-Contraception is a six month program, billed monthly at $87. When you enter the code “earthday” in the coupon code box during check out you’ll see the monthly price reduced to $70.33 (a savings of $100).

corrin

Ah, no one's said anything here for nearly three years, but I could use some advice.
I'm 18, been sexually active since I was 13, and been on BCP since I was 14 (they were prescribed when I was 13, but I didn't get my period again until after I turned 14 as I was severely underweight and only got my period twice a year).

For clarification, I live in the UK so all healthcare is free. I've read about half the thread, and a lot of women seem to say that coming off of BCP gave them a lot of emotional benefits, and I read a lot about IUDs. Considering I've been on BCP so long, I'm wondering if coming off would make me feel better emotionally or allow me to sleep better.

I've only been on three types of birth control. I don't remember the first, the second was Lizinna, and I'm now taking Loestrin. My first one was fine! I switched because I wanted to clear my acne (I had cystic acne). Lizinna was awful and gave me awful acne (regular, thankfully), made me very suicidal, and made me unable to get more than three hours of sleep per night. Loestrin is wonderful, but I get diarrhea every month and my sleeping is still bad. :confused:

Would coming off of BCP and giving my body a break perhaps fix this? My boyfriend and I don't have sex often, and we're (mostly, I don't like the fact that I'm not actually touching him) happy using condoms if I come off. I'd consider an IUD but I have an awful pain tolerance, I'm terrified to even ask my doctor because of the apparent insertion pain. I'm also currently 8.5 stone, hoping to get to 9.5 (I'm 5'7/170cm, and I was 5 stone when I wasn't having many periods, I only started gaining weight last year), so I'm apparently a healthy weight, other than being on the thin side. Weight gain as side effect of any form of BC would be much appreciated. :)

Sorry that this is long, my doctors have never been helpful with this, and I want to give enough information to get a useful answer!

Last edited:

corrin

whats this ? am I paying $87 a month for the pull out method?

has anyone used any of the progestin only pills?
This is three years late, but just in case :p I wouldn't recommend progestin only as if you don't take them at the exact same time every day, you risk falling pregnant. Take combination pills if you can! They'll protect you even when you miss a pill by 24 hours. You shouldn't have to use a condom, etc. unless you miss two.