• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Birth Control Thread!

orchid

TRIBE Member
I had the copper T for about 2 years and just recently had it removed. I spent an average of 2-3 days a month where I could physically not move because the cramping was horrific and my periods were unusually heavy (like a tampon an hour). Luckily I work from home... as there is no way I could have managed functioning in public. I kept procrastinating having it removed as I figured eventually it would ease up... but no luck. I know that everyone is different, so hopefully you will have a much better experience.
hopefully. in my early twenties, i had the most horrendous cramps. like calling in sick, heating pad in bed all day, crying. they sort of calmed down over time, and being on the pill the last yr and a half, i haven't had much cramping at all.

but i am desperate to get off hormonal birth control. I've felt really emotionally messed up for the last year, and I think that's the major reason. i took my last bcp on thursday - dr. appt on monday to discuss getting an IUD.

can someone tell me why cramping and bleeding is so bad on IUD? is it actually worse than if you were on nothing? i just don't really get how this thing works!

sk8

TRIBE Member
Sk8 do you want more kids? If you don't, just get your tubes tied and be done with it - best move I ever made.
The final decision on if there would be a 3rd hasn't been made yet... but we know right now wouldn't be the best timing and we're very happy with two. But we're not at the point yet where we want to do anything permanent, hence the mirena. When we get to that point, he's going for the snip snip though.

skyparty

TRIBE Member
It sounds as though one of the levels (estrogen?) is too high for you

I'll definitely have to look into something else if this doesn't quit by the end of the third patch pack.

Plus, my boobs hurt/are swollen daily and I'm sick of it! I can't even lightly jog for the streetcar without holding them. It's ridiculous.

echo

TRIBE Member
Sk8 do you want more kids? If you don't, just get your tubes tied and be done with it - best move I ever made.
Actually my gynecologist told me that the mirena IUD is statistically better at preventing pregnancy than having your tubes tied (I imagine not by much - but it was still surprising to me).

And it's much easier to reverse if one decides that they want (more) kids someday :)

tess

TRIBE Member
i have gone 8 months off the pill and have settled into a regular 5 week cycle but the change in my skin sucks. i haven't really noticed any other significant changes?

i'm going back on it in again in a couple of weeks i think.

*sigh* so much for reducing the chemicals in my body

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
^^That sucks, I'm waiting for my skin to get worse after going off the pill. It's been a few weeks so far and I haven't noticed any changes yet.
What I have noticed is a major increase in lubrication, I never had a problem while I was on the pill but now it's apparent that my body is set on getting knocked up.

ila

TRIBE Member
i have gone 8 months off the pill and have settled into a regular 5 week cycle but the change in my skin sucks. i haven't really noticed any other significant changes?

i'm going back on it in again in a couple of weeks i think.

*sigh* so much for reducing the chemicals in my body
Dude, go on the Nuvaring. Minimum hormones, maximum birth control and period regulation.

I love it.

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Seriously. Nuvaring +1. My body was all out of whack the first month or two, but now it's settled down, and I feel completely normal. And I used to be nuts on the pill. And the best thing is, you only have to think about it twice a month. I set my cell phone alarm to remind me when to change it, and it's all good.

skyparty

TRIBE Member
Aside from the fact that I was ALLERGIC to the NuvaRing...

I loved it. I wish I could have stayed on it!

Fabulous, really.

orchid

TRIBE Member
i saw my doctor re: IUD the other day. he is going to refer me to a gynecologist, as he does not do insertions. he cautioned me that the insertion quite commonly simply does not work for women who have not had babies (or at least vaginal births). i hope it'll work for me!

...because i've gone off the pill! i was supposed to start a new pack today. did not. i feel so relieved! perhaps my sanity will come back? i've had a rough past year on the pill, with an emotional episode pretty much every month, during the sugar pill week. i really am at the point where i can't take any more of it, and my bf strongly encouraged me to go off, as well. i'm hoping i'll be feeling better soon, and will even drop a couple of pounds in the process!

it is this thread that made me realize i am not crazy, and that the pill just does not jive with all women. thanks! very happy! :D

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
i went to see my doctor this week, and he has taken me off birth control, effective immediately. i'm scheduled to have an ultra-sound and a whole bunch of blood work to check all my hormone levels, etc. he wants to have a look so if it's something they can treat right away they'll start and forward all the info to they gyno.

not sure if i should be nervous or not.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
i went to see my doctor this week, and he has taken me off birth control, effective immediately. i'm scheduled to have an ultra-sound and a whole bunch of blood work to check all my hormone levels, etc. he wants to have a look so if it's something they can treat right away they'll start and forward all the info to they gyno.

not sure if i should be nervous or not.
you should be glad you have a good doctor that actually does something when you tell them your problems!! mine is useless. mine told me, you could stop taking the pill and see if that helps. oh great thanks sherlock. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
i would have to say, after being off the pill for awhile now, what an amazing difference for the better!

~ shorter & lighter periods
~ perfectly on time and every 28 days to boot
~ less cramps
~ no more extreme pain
~ less PMS

i seriously can't believe i was on the pill for so long dealing with all the crap that i did... guess for some people it just doesn't do what it's supposed to.

i use this website for tracking and reminders, and i'm pretty happy with it. not sure if it has been mentioned here before or not: MyMonthlyCycles - Menstrual Calendar, Ovulation Calendar, Fertility Cycles

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
i use this website for tracking and reminders, and i'm pretty happy with it. not sure if it has been mentioned here before or not: MyMonthlyCycles - Menstrual Calendar, Ovulation Calendar, Fertility Cycles
Thanks for the link - gonna check it out. Just stopped BCP last week... although all the things you described (lighter periods, less cramps etc) were soooo much better when I was ON it - I'm not really looking forward to seeing what happens OFF it. I'm hoping weight loss will come easier, and I still smoke occasionally, and wasn't comfortable with the health implications. I'm really interested to observe the changes I undergo (although I've only been on it for a year and a half).

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the link - gonna check it out. Just stopped BCP last week... although all the things you described (lighter periods, less cramps etc) were soooo much better when I was ON it - I'm not really looking forward to seeing what happens OFF it. I'm hoping weight loss will come easier, and I still smoke occasionally, and wasn't comfortable with the health implications. I'm really interested to observe the changes I undergo (although I've only been on it for a year and a half).
no problem! all our bodies are different so who know what will happen.
the site is great, and free, you can set up e-mail reminders for when you need to be 'careful', and when you are expected to get your period, etc.
great if you are busy and don't have the time to count it all out on your own.

ila

TRIBE Member
Hey Guys,

So I'm going on vacation in two months and I want to manipulate my period so that it doesn't come while I'm on the beach. Ideally, I'd like it to come the week before I go on vacation as opposed to the week after. I have two more cycles to do this and I'm working with the Nuvaring.

What should I do? Take it out a week early this month and next? Or maybe take it out 3 days early this month and the full 7 the next and hope my period matches? Is it even possible to induce and early period by taking out the Nuvaring a week ahead in my cycle?

I've never actually done this before...help!

starr

TRIBE Member
It is possible to induce your period early by taking out the Nuvaring early, but I suppose it depends how consistent your period is with the Nuvaring. Mine is super precise. When I take our the ring I tend to get my period around 72 hours later.

To recommend when you should take yours out I guess I/we'd need exact dates. If that makes sense. If you have access to a fridge then I'd just do back to back Nuvarings as you aren't really having a period anyhow....but if not then it's a bit of a pain, so I get it.

ila

TRIBE Member
Don't know exact dates for my vacation yet - I just know we're looking at the last week in February. As it is, I'll be getting my period that Monday and we'll probably be leaving on the Friday or Saturday before.

With the Nuva, I'm pretty much 72 hours later too, but it can be up to a day late if I'm stressed.

I tried the back-to-back business with pills on a vacation in Mexico once and I wound up having a light period the entire time anyway. My period cannot be beat...lol

starr

TRIBE Member
Well pills and the Nuva aren't quite the same so you may have more luck?

Anyhow, from what you posted it seems like you'll want to bump up your cycle by about a full week really. So what I'd try is doing a back to back cycle now for your upcoming 'break' and then you should be fine. And that way if you do have light spotting it's only a minor pain and you can deal with it over here....if that makes sense. The less tinkering the better/easier on your system.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
ila I would move it up a few days this month and a few days from that the next. I have moved my cycle on the pill that way with no problems.

ila

TRIBE Member
ila I would move it up a few days this month and a few days from that the next. I have moved my cycle on the pill that way with no problems.
I think I'm going to try this.

I know it's perfectly safe and normal to skip a period with birth control, I'm just afraid that I'm different and I'll be super PMSy and zitty for the entire month after skipping one.

I just know my body and it won't react well to no period. It's kind of a tempermental asshole. I'm going with the graduated shift method.

Wish me luck!

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
my 2 cents

Ila, is your worry with doing the Nuvaring back to back skin and PMS issues?

I have some subjective and objective info. Personally, I am on my 3rd straight month of nuvaring (ending this cycle), and have never had any of the above issues. If anything, I get some breakthrough bleeding.

Objectively, staying on the hormones should regulate your symptoms and improve PMs and skin. Most of women's BC complaints originally came from too much estrogen (it used to be as high as 60ug in one tablet! with the Nuvaring, there is the lowest amount, 15ug), and fluctuating levels associated with increasing hormones week to week, and the abrupt withdrawl of hormones for the menstrual cycle.

Logically, if you stay ON the hormones (and the low dose at that), you should experience LESS hormonal cycling and less associated symptoms.

I can sense that your worry is about the unknown, and for that reason alone, you should do what makes you comfortable. I'm just saying that science has got your back if you decide to do 2 rings in a row.

ila

TRIBE Member
Thanks Doctor!

My worry completely has to do with my fluctuating hormones, mood swings and breakouts. What you're saying makes sense though. I'll give it some more thought.

When you do miss two periods, does the buildup of uterine lining accumulate to 2-3 months worth, making the periods you do get abnormally heavy?