• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Birth Control Thread!

JESuX

TRIBE Member
another update: the girls are *definitely* bigger.

there are jiggles where there were previously no jiggles.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I feel pretty stupid asking, but what the heck are half of these things?
I have been on the bc pill for 10 years. (aside from basic life necessities like eating and showering and breathing I don't think I've done anything for this long in my entire life!)

Reading that sex drive thread makes me wonder if the bc is affecting my sex drive...when I started it I was 16 so I really didn't have a sex drive, so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing?

but I don't even know what other options there are out there...or rather, there are so many, it's overwhelming.

angelsole

TRIBE Member
IgStar said:
I should ask about this nuvaring thing as well.
I took myself off the bcp (after being on it for a good 15years and numerous different pills) and now just use condom (against my husbands wishes...personally I hate the damn thing as well)

but I have never felt better being off the pill and there is no way I am going back on.

I'm def. not ready to get preggers, but I am def. not going back on it.
This nuvaring may be our answer.
the nuvaring is pretty much the same hormone wise as taking tricyclen. the reason people like it is b/c you don't have to take a pill and you just insert a ring once a month.
if you are looking for simplicity it's good but if you are trying to stay away from hormones it's not the solution. hope that helps.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
shit. yeah it does. thanks.

I don't know what to do. we have an appt. july18th and I was *really* hoping to stay away from pills and hormone affecting shit.
I feel SO good being off the pill, totally more sexually driven and less moody.
But condoms suck (I hate them as much as the hubby does) but the pill makes me fat, moody and not very into sex...at least the pills I have been on over the years.

what are my options? condoms and foam? UGH.
UGH I SAY.

mayab

TRIBE Member
why don't you consider the IUD then? It is very effective and there is one that doesn't have any hormones. Apparently it is the birth control most preferred by female doctors for personal use and I've heard a lot of people say they are really happy with it.

The doctor may try to put you off until you have had your first child, but I think you can convince them if you insist.

We don't want children, so we went for the snip instead. Finally made the man take control of this birth control stuff :p

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
mayab said:
why don't you consider the IUD then? It is very effective and there is one that doesn't have any hormones. Apparently it is the birth control most preferred by female doctors for personal use and I've heard a lot of people say they are really happy with it
make sure you read my post on the previous page re: IUDs ;)

mayab

TRIBE Member
Metal Morphosis said:
make sure you read my post on the previous page re: IUDs ;)
:eek: That sounds like a nasty experience! I remember the doctor warned me about that when I went for my IUD consultation, so it is something that you have to consider.

It is also an important reminder that you can't just forget about your IUD altogether. I think the doctor said that you should be checking that the position is correct once a week by feeling for the string. Was the string position still feeling normal to you all the time it was embedded?

As I said, I'm so glad that 'we' decided to go the vasectomy route. Ha! :p

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
great thread, jess! im considering going back on the pill (ive been off for just over 2 years now) i was on marvelon from 16-25, then tri-cyc (2 variations) for only few months last year, couldnt bare the side effects.

im going to look into micronor - wish me luck!

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
mayab said:
It is also an important reminder that you can't just forget about your IUD altogether. I think the doctor said that you should be checking that the position is correct once a week by feeling for the string. Was the string position still feeling normal to you all the time it was embedded?
when it was first inserted I was told that if i felt the string was too long to come back in so they could 'trim' it. my partner said it felt too long (i.e. he could feel it all the time/ a lot) so I had it trimmed but it seems the doctor cut the string too short b/c then i couldn't reach it at all... which may have eventually led to this problem. it was fine for the better part of 2 years though.

Poot

TRIBE Member
omg my boobs are so enormous from this tricyclen lo and SO SORE.

My period better get here and SOON to make them deflate (ANY DAY now... *waits* *waits* *waits* *waits* ....)

I can barely fit into the tailored jacket of my favourite suit.

And I hurt.

:(

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
WELL SINCE I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO START A THREAD -- SAY WHAT ??

does anyone know where you can get free birth control pills, or where you can get them at seriously majorly hugely discounted prices. I just got my first prescription for it and they are 25 bucks a fucking pack, are you fucking kidding me? I cant even afford one pack right now, and since i just dumped the boy - im not even gonna be getting laid, so really its just for so much nicer period dealie!!! WTF WTF WTF!!!
should i just go to another walk in clinic and lie and say I would like to start taking it, and get my first 3 months trial packs for free again ?
WTF WTF,
no wonder everyone gets fucking preggie, condoms are too expensive, this shit is a $1 a day for christs sake, I could feed a starving child in ethiopia for less than that day (or my starving self for that matter)
WTF WTF WTF!!

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Poot said:

My period better get here and SOON to make them deflate (ANY DAY now... *waits* *waits* *waits* *waits* ....)

And I hurt.

you had me at hello

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Poot said:

And I hurt.

Wow... :(

I have no symptoms whatsoever - if I didn't mark it in the calendar that I am getting my period, I wouldn't even notice otherwise.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JESuX

TRIBE Member
~Loress~ said:
great thread, jess! im considering going back on the pill (ive been off for just over 2 years now) i was on marvelon from 16-25, then tri-cyc (2 variations) for only few months last year, couldnt bare the side effects.

im going to look into micronor - wish me luck!
i hope you'll have better luck than me.

after a FIVE DAY BREAK of no bleeding, i'm back on the blood-letting bandwagon. so essentially, my cycle is now the OPPOSITE OF EVERY OTHER WOMAN IN THE WORLD. don't bleed for five days, and bleed the remainder of the time.

i have to wait this out for three fucking months to see if it subsides. i'm on one and a half months, and i'm about to fucking off myself.

*tears out hair*

on the positive side: fuller boobs, NO mood swings (or should i say, the only ones i've noted have been some tears the day before my period 'starts') i've actually continued to lose weight and stay very slim. so yeah, my only beef would be the constant and un-ending bleeding. but, that happens to me on all methods, including the nuva ring, so i wouldn't let that deter ya, lori.

i miss you, btw!!!

Last edited:

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
geezus jess, sorry to hear this.. and i miss you too! :)

yah for me its the mood swings i fear most.. i tried two different brands last year and lets just say i was not a pleasant person to be around. =/ looking back tho, i didnt even bother to stick it out for three months..... oops!

im going to take the plunge!

JESuX

TRIBE Member
yeah, try it... honestly, i've tried four or five different kinds of combi pills and was always a fucking WRECK. or, as i liked to call it in retrospect, "the emotional banshee".

this has been damn good for side effects, aside from constantly bleeding. wheee.

however, i did read yesterday that micronor very commonly has weird breakthrough bleeding for a lot of women during the first three months, and that it generally sorts itself out.

so, i'm crossing my fingers... but past the 3.5 month mark, this shit is OUT the window if i haven't evened out. it's just not worth it.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Elesse made me bitchy!! I feel sorry for the people who were near me at pms time. I am now off of it. I have not been on the pill for about 2 months now. Feels good. I think I am hornier and my body feels more in balance.

Poot

TRIBE Member
Okay - month three of tricyclen lo.

I'm nearly a week into the new pack, and the boobal region is only now ceasing to feel like someone used it as a punching bag. I figure I've got at least a week and a bit of this before it starts up again for a half a month+.

I'm still feeling significantly less insane than when I was on the yasmin, however.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
i've started to notice that i get a bit bummed, sensitive and emotional toward the very end of the pack of pills now.

however, the good news is that i've had almost 7 full days of not bleeding! rejoice!

(unfortunately, i have a feeling that i'm going to start again soon given that i'm at the end of the pack. bonetown.)

this coming month is month three, and my doc told me that most problems with breakthrough bleeding, etc. usually calm down within three months, and that i should wait at LEAST that long before i make any decisions.

so this next month is the clincher! i'll keep everyone posted with updates. i'm sure you're all thrilled.

:p

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Some doctors and people recommend only giving yourself four periods a year, ie. keep on taking your pills without a period week.

My question is, would this not fuck with your hormones? Help towards mood swings? Essentially your body would be going through the PMS stage without the period time. The hormones in the BC pill are not your natural hormones, so I am just confused as to if it is really a good idea?

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
soon men will have this discussion...

Male birth control pill soon a reality

:D

By John Schieszer
MSNBC contributor
SEATTLE, Oct. 1 — - Forty-year-old Scott Hardin says he’s glad that men may soon have a new choice when it comes to birth control. But, he adds, he would not even consider taking a male hormonal contraceptive. Hardin is like many men who are pleased to hear they may have a new option but are wary of taking any type of hormones.

“I would rather rely on a solution that doesn’t involving medicating myself and the problems women have had with hormone therapy doesn’t make me anxious to want to sign on to taking a hormone-type therapy,” says Hardin, who is single and a college administrator.

For the first time, a safe, effective and reversible hormonal male contraceptive appears to be within reach. Several formulations are expected to become commercially available within the near future. Men may soon have the options of a daily pill to be taken orally, a patch or gel to be applied to the skin, an injection given every three months or an implant placed under the skin every 12 months, according to Seattle researchers.

“It largely depends on how funding continues. The technology is there. We know how it would work,” says Dr. Andrea Coviello, who is helping to test several male contraceptives at the Population Center for Research in Reproduction at the University of Washington in Seattle.

Coviello and her colleagues have found that a male contraceptive that releases testosterone over three months is potentially a safe and practical method of contraception. The Seattle researchers have been testing a sustained-released, testosterone micro-capsule, which consists of a thick liquid administered by injection under the skin.

“I never had any real noticeable side effects. I didn’t notice any mood changes. I may have put on a little weight,” says Larry Setlow, a 39-year-old computer programmer with a small software company in Seattle. He has taken part in three male hormonal contraceptive clinical trials at the University of Washington and has received both pills and injections.

“They all worked really well and I was able to look at my lab results and see my sperm count drop to zero,” says Setlow.

Last edited: