• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Birth Control Thread!

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
angelsole said:
anyone use a diaphragm? thinking i want to get off the hormones but looking for alternatives to condoms. thoughts?
Your most reliable option is the non-hormonal IUD, a copper IUD.

No hormones, 99.9% efficacious in preventing pregnancy. Immediately reversible once removed.

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
My Mirena review (everyone loves annectodals):

AAAA+++ WOULD INSERT AGAIN

Pros:
- no period
- no spotting
- no cramps
- $3 on a good drug plan

Cons:
- slight moodiness
- uncomfortable insertion
- $400 if you don't have a drug plan

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Fidelity said:
My Mirena review (everyone loves annectodals):

Cons:

- $400 if you don't have a drug plan
but they last for a few years right? (at least my copper IUD was okay for 2 years) so divided over 24 months that's only $16.60 / month which is probably about the same as the BCP.

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
^^^ Indeed, they are good for up to 5 years. So if you can absorb the initial outlay it's quite reasonable over the life of the device.

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
urbansoul said:
this would scare me indefinitely.
i'd be constantly paranoid.
i can see the benifits but it's not for me.
I totally see where you are coming from. For me, since I have been previously pregnant, I'm relatively confident I'd be able to see the signs again in my body without the missed period as an indicator.

sugar

TRIBE Member
Kiera said:
Totaly posted this in the wrong thread:

Hormonal Birth Control Survey results: http://www.geocities.com/nullphonic/hbc/
freaky shit "lack of sex drive - 63.6%" omg!

More info on BCP (including which pills have which side effects) if you still want/need to take it:
http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com...8250#Post78250

And another message board about all things birth control:
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhcontracept
Um, I think I'll take my medical advice from the medical profession, thanks.

angelsole

TRIBE Member
the Doctor said:
Your most reliable option is the non-hormonal IUD, a copper IUD.

No hormones, 99.9% efficacious in preventing pregnancy. Immediately reversible once removed.
the idea kinda freaks me out a little but i will do further research. thanks.

dyad

TRIBE Member
angelsole said:
anyone use a diaphragm? thinking i want to get off the hormones but looking for alternatives to condoms. thoughts?
I have a diaphragm (that these days sits in its little carry case and reminds me of my single inactivity *sigh*)

I like it a lot. its not hormonal perfect... I use back up when I expect to be ovulating... when I was in a LTR i did the whole temperature taking to know when that would be.

As far as it goes its really easy to use once you get the hang of it, costs about 50 dollars, and the spermacide is pretty cheap as well. you need to be sized and if you go up or down a size in clothing, you need to be resized, so its not great for people who dont have a stable weight. My doctor had me come in with it inserted to check that i had done it correctly before trying it out.

I've been really happy. its nicer than condoms, you can leave it in for a few goes if you like, adding more spermicide each time.

More hassle than the pill... but since hormonal anything disagrees with me intensely, its very much worth it.

[SQUARE]

TRIBE Member
I have an appointment to get a traditional copper IUD coming up. I was on the pill for about 5 years and I've also been off the pill for about the same amount of time. I'm not comfortable with the idea of messing with my hormones. I've since been using condoms but I'm paranoid about getting pregnant so I want some backup. Both my roomates have IUD's and are happy with them so I'm going to give it a try. We'll see how it goes.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
[SQUARE] said:
I have an appointment to get a traditional copper IUD coming up. I was on the pill for about 5 years and I've also been off the pill for about the same amount of time. I'm not comfortable with the idea of messing with my hormones. I've since been using condoms but I'm paranoid about getting pregnant so I want some backup. Both my roomates have IUD's and are happy with them so I'm going to give it a try. We'll see how it goes.
I'd be interested in hearing whether it works for you - it's probably my top choice atm. I've been off the pill for a few years because it was messing with my head. My periods were fairly regular until maybe the last 6-12 months where my cycle would get longer some months and then normal in other months, which meant I was very nervous when it was late. The last straw for me was this month when it was 8 days overdue...I can't take stress like that!

[SQUARE]

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
I'd be interested in hearing whether it works for you - it's probably my top choice atm. I've been off the pill for a few years because it was messing with my head. My periods were fairly regular until maybe the last 6-12 months where my cycle would get longer some months and then normal in other months, which meant I was very nervous when it was late. The last straw for me was this month when it was 8 days overdue...I can't take stress like that!
Well I'm getting it "installed" this week. Last month I had myself convinced that I was pregnant. I'll take the heavier periods and possible cramping over constantly worrying whether I'm pregnant.

angelsole

TRIBE Member
i know there's a thread for this but it fits here too so i am posting here. i have officially given up on the nuvaring. this month my period came two days early and is still going. i decided that i would not put a ring in this morning and that i am going back to traditional methods that allow my own body to control my hormonal shifts. i will definitely be watching for updates on the IUD insertion!

Persephone

TRIBE Member
^ how long have you been using nuvaring? With some hormonal BCs it can take 6 months for your body to adjust

Don't feel frustrated if its not working for you. Every BCP/ring/injection uses a slightly different progesterone analogue. Not every woman will respond the same way or be regulated by the same hormone. If NuvaRing continues to show success in the market place you may see other hormonal offerings with the same delivery method.

With that being said, if you went on BC becaue of out of control cramps or periods, don't be surprised if your body hasn't changed. Mine didn't after 10 years. *sigh*

Last edited:

angelsole

TRIBE Member
Persephone said:
^ how long have you been using nuvaring? With some hormonal BCs it can take 6 months for your body to adjust

Don't feel frustrated if its not working for you. Every BCP/ring/injection uses a slightly different progesterone analogue. Not every woman will respond the same way or be regulated by the same hormone. If NuvaRing continues to show success in the market place you may see other hormonal offerings with the same delivery method.

With that being said, if you went on BC becaue of out of control cramps or periods, don't be surprised if your body hasn't changed. Mine didn't after 10 years. *sigh*
i used it for three months which is the norm for my body to adjust to hormone levels. i have discovered this timeline due to trying a number of different pills. my own hormonal regulation is pretty awesome actually and super regular etc. i am looking for a bc method but have decided non hormonal ones are just better for me.

Ms. Fit

TRIBE Member
ok, i have 3 weeks to go before i need to get another depo shot but fuck that noise...after 2 months of it, i've decided 110% that i am never messing with my hormones again. i'm a completely different person than i was at the beginning of the year:(

looking forward to the IUD updates as well...but the doctor i went to said that IUD is best for woman that have already had children...or am i mixing that up with another method of BC?

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Ms. Fit said:
looking forward to the IUD updates as well...but the doctor i went to said that IUD is best for woman that have already had children...or am i mixing that up with another method of BC?
you are correct. the doctor that prescribed my IUD was different than the doctor who did the insertion and he strongly advised against insertion but I did it anyway. The reason is because having a kid stretches your uterus and therefore the IUD shouldn't cause as much cramping as in a non-stretched uterus.

I had an interesting experience with my IUD, I won't go into the details but the doctor was right about the cramping. My periods were WAY heavier too... we're talking going from regular tampons for a day or two and then slenders for a day to 3 - 4 days of super size tampons. What can I say, I didn't have a drug plan at the time and the IUD was an inexpensive and effective form of BC.

I would consider getting an IUD again, but only after I have a kid.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I've called the bay street centre for BC about four times today and each time, the machine says everyone is busy and to hang up and call back. Bitch, I'm gonna be pregnant by the time you ever answer my call!