• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Birth Control Thread!

miss xylene

TRIBE Member
The first I ever tried was tricyclen in high school. I was on it mainly to clear up my face. The first month was fine. The second month came around, and I got it for exactly 4 weeks straight. It was absolutely horrible! I also gained like 45 pounds within six monthes. My doctor got me off it ASAP....

Next I tried Diane 35, and that was meh.... I was very irregular and I felt like a psycho bitch 24/7. I would cry if you stepped on a spider. It was rediculous.

Now I'm on Elise 28 and it's great. Half the time I barely get it, I'm on time and I find that I am rarely an emotional wreck. I also found that my weight has stayed the same and I have been using it for over two years now. And my skin is great.

But the best birth control, ofcourse, is when you just swallow. ;)

madnezz

TRIBE Member
grumblegirl said:
when i went off the pill, a million years ago, i lost about 40 lbs (course, i was also going thru a particularly lengthy and stressful breakup at the time).

edit: for madnezz
gah!

I want to lose 40 lbs! *L*

well, 10 would be nice.

kick

TRIBE Member
I used to be on Marvalon, but they took me off because of breast cancer in the family. It was great, everything was like clock-work and my skin looked like a million bucks!

Now its all about the pull and pray!!!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Fidelity

TRIBE Member
I was on Alesse a few years ago for 18 some months - it was great: bigger boobs, no cramps, cleared my face up.

For various reasons (well - just not going to the doctor for a while) I ended up going off the pill for 8 months. It wasn't so bad either, definitely weighed a bit less.

Now I've gone back on Alesse and this time around it's super shitty. Cramping, biggest weight gain I've had in years, and I'm irritable as all hell. It's been 3 months and I'm giving it one more month to sort it self out. I don't understand how the same pill could affect me so differently :S

Cri

TRIBE Member
I've been on the same pill for almost 10 years now. Triphasil.

I can barely remember anything before it..but.

I didn't gain any weight :)
I didn't gain any boobs :(
My periods last 3 days :)
95% of the time I have no cramps, or they only last for an hour. :)
I cannot comment on the skin thing since my skin has always been the same..not great or bad, just in between.

I guess I am just lucky?? I can't believe all of the problems some of you girls go through to find the pill that works for you :( SOunds so stressful.

Crazlegs

TRIBE Member
I stopped using the bcp late last year. Seems no matter what pill I try, and there have been many, I end up with breakthrough bleeding, 5-10 pound weight gain and a very low sex drive. So I decided that perhaps the bcp is just not for me.

angelsole

TRIBE Member
i am currently in the 'maybe i should go off' phase. i just really wonder what all those chemicals are doing to my body.
on that note...i have been on triphasil (psycho time) tricyclen (break through bleeding) minovral (acne) marvelon (break through bleeding) yasmeen (psycho) and now finally diane 35 (it's only been a few months so i am not sure if i like it yet)
i just hate the idea of condoms. i know they aren't so bad really but i just feel like i need the security of the pill too!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MeL_Roc

TRIBE Member
I've been on Triphasil for over five years now. I've had no problems with it. Periods last for 3-4 days. Zero cramps. Although, I'm a little bit bitchy/psycho/emotional towards the end of the pack.

Cri

TRIBE Member
MeL_Roc said:
Although, I'm a little bit bitchy/psycho/emotional towards the end of the pack.
ok ya that happens a little with me too. I always forget about that part til i get to the end of the pack! (like right now ;))

IgStar

TRIBE Member
I should ask about this nuvaring thing as well.
I took myself off the bcp (after being on it for a good 15years and numerous different pills) and now just use condom (against my husbands wishes...personally I hate the damn thing as well)

but I have never felt better being off the pill and there is no way I am going back on.

I'm def. not ready to get preggers, but I am def. not going back on it.
This nuvaring may be our answer.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
Has anyone heard of/researched/tried that 4 times a year pill?
Seasonale? It's not that you only take it four times a year... you take it continuously for three months, have a 'period week' then take it for another three months.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
question - i went off the pill, but wel i am going away at the end of the month right when i am going to get my . i really do not want it, would it be bad if i just started a new pack today even thouugh i had my period like 3 weeks ago ?

angelic

TRIBE Member
Hey girl... you will probably be okay but I would call your doctor and ask just in case. I have heard of people extending their periods before due to vacation, so I would speculate that it wouldn't be too bad as long as you don't make a habit of it.

I take Diane 35 and swear by it - I did go off it for a month in the fall but started getting small breakouts. Only thing is it is very costly $$$$$$$ !!

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
madnezz said:
Anyway, I've been on LoEstrin for 4 years and I'm completely satisfied with it. Very light periods, no mood swings and no pain (but i never had any before the pill).
i'm also using LoEstrin. I started it when i was 16 and had great luck with it. I went off the pill for a while and when I started dating someone seriously I decided (at some triber's recommendations) to go with an IUD. It was a cost effective option since I didnt have a drug plan ($65). I was told i could keep it in for 2 years - sometimes they say you can keep them longer.

My periods were pretty tough - extremely crampy and heavy. I had to start using Super tampons for the first few days, but it was nice not to have to take a pill every day.

Nearing the end of my second year I noticed some non-period bleeding so went to get checked out. My dr. couldn't 'locate' my IUD so scheduled an ultra sound. The little bugger had embedded itself in the wall of my uterus but was somehow still working. Needless to say, after a failed removal attempt by a gyno, they had to schedule me for a D and C to get it out, which meant that I had to be put under. good times.

So now i'm happily back on LoEstrin.

I should note that I was a rare case - most women have their IUD's with no problems. I was told when I asked for an IUD that it would probably make my periods heavy and crampy b/c I haven't had children and therefore my uterus hasn't stretched. They typically recommend IUD's for women AFTER they've had some kids. I will potentially explore that option again AFTER i've birthed a few ...

Lisa

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
mrs peacock said:
question - i went off the pill, but wel i am going away at the end of the month right when i am going to get my . i really do not want it, would it be bad if i just started a new pack today even thouugh i had my period like 3 weeks ago ?
i myself have done this.
it's totally fine.
my friend's doctor recommended that she do it so that she only had a period 3 - 4 times in a year b/c she's in her child bearing years (30's) and that women's bodies are used to not having their periods for long amounts of time when they're pregnant.

PurrLee

TRIBE Member
I had a terrible time in the beginning on Orthocept and Minestrin -- talk about psycho bitch. I cried all the time and had the craziest mood swings.
I went off it for a few years and thought I just couldn't handle being on the pill.
Then i decided to give it another try.
I've been on Triphasil for 5 years or so and i love it.
No side effects to mention except elevated chocolate cravings!!
(but that's normal right?) :)

But get this:
I just went to refill my prescription last week and was told that Triphasil is on back order -- possibly no longer available :eek:
I need to start something by saturday and I don't want to switch pills again.
Has anyone else on Triphasil run into this??

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
I was on Tricyclen for 10 years and it was perfect for me. It is 3 week phases of increasing levels of progesterone and estrogen. My periods were 3-4 days and very infrequently I'd have light cramps. The only thing I noticed was I felt bloated and wanted to eat more carbs & comfort food around my period. No apparent bitchiness, mood swings or weight/boob gain

I came off bcp for the past 3 months and I *think* my boobs have gotten a litle bigger. My skin has gotten worse and my periods are a bit heavier and definitely erratic. I have way more bloating too and have felt extra fat pre, during & post period.

So I will start taking Triquilar tonight as my friend had a couple free packs to spare (I don't have a doctor here and Tricylen isn't available in Oz). Should be quite similar to Tricylen I believe.

Anyone have any experience with both Tricyclen and Triquilar to share?

Persephone

TRIBE Member
L'ilMisSunshine said:
So I will start taking Triquilar tonight as my friend had a couple free packs to spare (I don't have a doctor here and Tricylen isn't available in Oz). Should be quite similar to Tricylen I believe.
I don't have experience with both, but don't be surprised if you have a different experience with Triquilar. Although it contains the same estrogenic compound as Tricyclen, it does not have the name amounts. It also has a different progestenic compound than Tricyclen, which is also at different amounts. It is possible that you could react to Triquilar very differently than your experience than Tricyclen.

Not to scare you or anything, but these are drugs and you need to remember that these are your ovaries you're playing around with here! I'd strongly recommend going to even a walk-in clinic before you start taking a birth control you've never had before, I do not suggest that you start taking it without seeing a medical professional. At the very least, make sure you check the packaging to ensure that the product has not expired.

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
Persephone said:
I don't have experience with both, but don't be surprised if you have a different experience with Triquilar. Although it contains the same estrogenic compound as Tricyclen, it does not have the name amounts. It also has a different progestenic compound than Tricyclen, which is also at different amounts. It is possible that you could react to Triquilar very differently than your experience than Tricyclen.

Not to scare you or anything, but these are drugs and you need to remember that these are your ovaries you're playing around with here! I'd strongly recommend going to even a walk-in clinic before you start taking a birth control you've never had before, I do not suggest that you start taking it without seeing a medical professional. At the very least, make sure you check the packaging to ensure that the product has not expired.

Well I did kinda see a medical professional as my friend who gave me them is a registered nurse, hah. I have already researched both of these contraceptives and I know they are not the same. I'm going to try it out for at least a week. As I have no medical concerns and I am not on any other drugs I only need worry that I may experience uncomfortable side effects.

I shall report back my findings!

JESuX

TRIBE Member
okay, month two of micronor -

just got my period, almost on time, and it's been very very light. this is awesome ++++++ news for me, as i'm generally out of control redtide.

my boobs are bigger, and i have no problems with weight gain - i noticed a bit of bloat before period time, though. i've also become really sensitive to how my body looks/feels. (i could tell my period was coming, when i used to have NO idea.)

we'll see how this continues on, but so far, i'm pretty happy!