• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the bike show was quite lame

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It seemed there was lots of 2003 stock but i didn't see and of this year's...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

billy

TRIBE Member
the add in now for the TTC stating "take the ttc to the bike show" made me laugh. it's like saying "bring your gun to the fishing show."

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
No. take your car to the bike should would be like take your gun to the fishing show.

why are so many, bad at argument by analogy?

Alex - that's the case every year. Besides, only a trained eye can spot 2004 gear.
The Bike show if anything is a way for shops and organizations to get business. Shops go to sell off previous year's stock to make room for the new stock. Most shops won't be getting 2004 stock till later this month.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am afraid to buy anything better than my 350 buck raleigh because of all the theves out there.

I talked myself into buying a new 1200 hybrid last year then I thought: I won't be able to use it to beat around the city and lock it up places because it'll be a thief magnet.

Besides it would probably look weird with my huge plastic record crate on the back of it.

My Raleigh is about 100 lbs heavier to ride but I figure it'll give me a better workout.

I am interested in these onespeeds though. Onen of the dudes that owns Cycle Solutions on Parliament builds them to suit, he has one in the store with a modified derialer on the back wheel (it just keeps the chain tight) that allows the pedals to stay stationary while the back hub moves. Problem is though with the high gear ratio I want I would never be able to climb a steep hill without tacking up the road like a sailboat.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I hear ya! I was saying to all guys at the manufacturer booths that they should make a 'city friendly' design line where the bike comes in a flat colour and without decals.

I just want my Schwinn Mesa GS back, it was stolen last week.. not to bad since I only paid a couple hundred for it. But a replacement at the bike show is around $700 :(

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The guy at Cycle Soulutions says he often sees people drop 1 to 2 grand on a bike and immediately take the sandpaper and grease to it to make it look like a beater.

I think the one speeds would be less likely to be stolen because they look pretty lame.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
sorry to hear about your bike getting jacked :(
No biggie, I didn't drop too much on it anyway. It's just what I'm going to have to drop on a new one is what gets me.

Alex, I'm going to fuck mine up too, well somewhat. I mean, I don't want it to look pretty, but I don't want dirt to stick to the bike either. I think I'm going to go the electrical tape route, and remove all the decals.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
OK I ended up picking up a new bike.. I need to adjust the front derailleur because it's misaligned and rubbing against the chain.
I'm using this site and it's telling me to adjust the two screws but as I do, nothing is moving. What gives? Am I doing something wrong? Should I just take it in to someone?

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
Most shops won't be getting 2004 stock till later this month.
Umm that doesn't sound right. I bought a 2004 NORCO model in october last year at a regular bike shop...

From what I know, they stock 2004 models well into 2003, the same way car dealerships stock next year's models a year ahead.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

aki

TRIBE Promoter
The bike show was indeed pretty lame. I actually went looking for a good deal on a 2003 bike as the website said there would be an entire hall for 2003 sell-off (small Hall F). When I got there and asked where the 2003 sale was they told me the details on the website were from last years October show :mad:

I ended up buying a 2004 Specialized Sirrus. It's a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike. Upright position, roadbike-ish frame, roadbike tires, flat handlebar. I was interested in the hybrid bikes, but most of them seem like total comfort bikes with very upright "cruiser" style positioning and mammoth padded seats, which i really don't like. I think the Sirrus is more of a true hybrid, good for getting around in the city.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
yeah.. my model is a 2004, can anyone help me on my front derailleur question?

the 2 screws should definately be doing something.. maybe you've loosed them past the point of effectiveness??
As you tighten them, you should be able to see the movement in the derailer.
I could be more help if i could actually be there..
I would imagine the store would fix it for free if you're having enough trouble with it though..

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
OTIS - you didn't adjust both of them equally did you? because that won't do anything. You only have to loosen 1 at a time, depending on which direction you want the derailleur to go.

Anyhow... I went to the show yesterday. Hardly any good deals. It seemed as if the popularity of the show has made retailers realize they can screw over more people, so they've been cutting prices by a lot less.
Saw a LOT of 2004 stock. so naturally, no price drops.

I was eyeing that Monty 219 for a while, but i didn't buy it.
I was also eyeing an Evolve frame, but it was gone by the time i returned.

To say the least... i wasn't happy with this show, this year. Although I did re-encounter my old rock-climbing instructor. He's a rep for Shimano now.

Gunark - what model of Norco did you get?

madnezz

TRIBE Member
YAY i got a cool bike!! hahahaha i got a BUSHPILOT from Norco... I will forever laugh at that name *Grin*

I paid $450 for it, which is a decent price I think....