• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The best ultrabooks for the money?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking for something to replace my aging thinkpad x60. I am looking for a small (13" or so screen) ultrabook that is not a MAC and that is well built and pretty fast. Any recommendations?

octo

TRIBE Member
do you actually tote your laptop around much? cause if not, it's probably cheaper to get a bigger notebook as a desktop replacement. or get a desktop and a tablet.

last time i researched laptops was 4 years ago. i got a dell. don't get a dell.

what's the word on those microsoft surface things?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I need small because I fly with it in carry on luggage and 15lb notebooks are a pain to carry around. I am going to avoid Surface and Windows 8 if I can.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
I am going to avoid Windows 8 if I can.

Other than a few interface issues, Windows 8 does run a lot snappier than Win7.

How soon are you buying? "New" windows will be out in the fall.

Might be tough finding non-windows 8 on the consumer side without paying a premium now....especially for ultrabooks.

I haven't looked at buying non-corp gear in a long time..and we're a dell shop.

Then again, I've worked with all brands in other jobs, and they all have their issues.

Surface Pro might actually be up your alley, given that you might want to run regular windows software...but yes, I would avoid RT.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Alex,

Surface for its diversity, or the Asus Zenbook as Derek said, both are really nice snappy devices.

Win 8 s really not bad at all, im still running Win 7 on everything, but we got my gf a toshiba with Win 8 on it and i have to say, even without touch screen functionality its a solid OS. snappy, pretty intuitive once you get used to it, and all the windows functionality is there, you just have to get used to the differences in navigating the OS, and they are not bad differences at all.

Surface you get a Tablet and Laptop all in one. So that right there might be a selling point, however the Zenbook iterations are quite solid and reliable.

it would be one of those two if i was going to buy a laptop that wasnt provided by my work for me.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
The best ultrabook for Windows is still a Macbook. It also happens to be the best supported and one of the best values for your money.

And they are price comparable to the Zenbook.

I know you hate Apple because Steve Jobs made you eat a plate of carrots when you were 12, but seriously, if I was buying a Windows laptop right now, I would still be buying Apple hardware.

The touchpad alone is better than anything the PC world has put out in years.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i found the battery life when dual booting through bootcamp into Win 7 was DEPLORABLE. and i hope they improved the touch pad experience as while it was better than using a touch pad with Win7 via bluetooth it was still not as nice as just the native windows optimization when using windows, but thats from my personal experience.

and did Steve Jobs babysit AlexD, and feed him carrots when he was a kid? is that why he hates apple so much ?

videotronic

TRIBE Member
The best ultrabook for Windows is still a Macbook. It also happens to be the best supported and one of the best values for your money.

I know you hate Apple because Steve Jobs made you eat a plate of carrots when you were 12, but seriously, if I was buying a Windows laptop right now, I would still be buying Apple hardware.

this^. i have yet to see any piece of PC hardware that rivals a macbook air in build quality etc. 1.8ghz/4gb/256GB SSD zenbook seems to be priced a little higher than an identically specced MBA.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
do you actually tote your laptop around much? cause if not, it's probably cheaper to get a bigger notebook as a desktop replacement. or get a desktop and a tablet.

last time i researched laptops was 4 years ago. i got a dell. don't get a dell.

what's the word on those microsoft surface things?
Nothing wrong with Dell.. I have had many and the one I currently have is kick ass - especially for the price. Unfortunately it is fucking ugly! :)

Jay

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
and did Steve Jobs babysit AlexD, and feed him carrots when he was a kid? is that why he hates apple so much ?
It's either that or Jobs kept making his eye glass frames too popular.

Strange to hear you had trackpad problems with Win7, I run bootcamped Win7 on all of my mac laptops without issue. Haven't tried with the seperate trackpad though.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I saw a pretty nice thinkpad on tiger direct. It is an off-lease unit. I have never bought a computer off-lease before. Should I be terrified?

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
I saw a pretty nice thinkpad on tiger direct. It is an off-lease unit. I have never bought a computer off-lease before. Should I be terrified?
I have never bought used at all...Just seems weird to do.

What kind of warranty does it come with?

Balzz

TRIBE Member
You get what you pay for.

Refurb MBA running bootcamp is probably the best bang for the buck.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
3 months. Off-lease machines seem to be about 1/2 price of what you would pay new.
3 months warranty isn't enough, if you intend to use it any longer than 3...but then I'm all about warranty. (Some folks could care less).

Awful nice to just get the parts when you need them...for free.

deep

TRIBE Member

Some reviews say the X1 Carbon's touchpad is better or leaves nothing to be desired from Mac's offerings :)

Personally I am waiting for a refresh to either the MBA or X1

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The X1 is the advanced modern version of the thinkpad I am currently using. It looks really appealing to me, and it costs about what I paid for this one 7 years ago. I am not sure about getting the touch model. Is touch functionality really an important feature to have in a business notebook? Or is it fluff?