• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The best Spicy Tuna in Toronto thread:

echootje

TRIBE Member
Spicy Tuna is my favourite maki roll!

I used to vote for New Gen, consistent, crunchy, but pretty ordinary.

Then I tried Yumei Sushi in the east end on Queen East (near Woodbine) delicious, unique presentation, spicy crunchy and good tuna not chopped up, but in chunks like it should be.

Today my vote just swung WAY west to Vincent Sushi on Roncesvalles and thier "Volcano" Spicy tuna. At $10.95 it's pricey, but loaded with fish, interesting topping of chopped spicy tuna, lots of green onion, and flying fish roe. Perfect, spicy and devoured in 10 seconds flat!!

Rob

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
my favourite is at Mazz Sushi at Bloor and Dovercourt. Though i usually get their spicy hamachi instead. (its prepared in the exact same way)

echootje

TRIBE Member
Balzz said:
Aka odds and ends of not so fresh tuna veiled under spicy sauce. Yum!
It could be un-fresh, but it's more likely sinewy tail bits chopped fine enough for easy toothpick free consumption. I see no harm in their serving tail bits.

I've got a good nose and palate for old/off fish. Cooking in a seafood resto I check that shit daily, spicy or not it wasn't old fish.

Rob

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I still think the best place is the place by Stephens at Bathurst and Queens Quay.
Those are GREAT rolls. I had a bit of the spicy tuna and it was great.

I got sick off New Gen so never again.

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
I'm a sucker for Hosu Bistros spicy tuna rolls. They make a nice dynamite roll too. It's not high-end but it hits the spot.

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
I second Guirei (although the last time I was there they were kinda small).

Sushi Izmi on Queen makes em yummy too.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Acko lounge in FCP does a really nice spicy tuna. In fact they do some of my favorite sushi in the city.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
I think blowfish has the best spicy tuna. Also the hottest babes, which is really all that matters in the end.

oh toro

TRIBE Member
Balzz said:
Aka odds and ends of not so fresh tuna veiled under spicy sauce. Yum!
exactly. spicy tuna = tuna that is about to go bad. it will peg you as an amateur and slot you for the worst stuff.

aether

TRIBE Member
Despite the fact that liking spicy tuna is going to brand me an ignorant rube, I gotta say that echootje is absolutely right about the volcano sushi at vincent's being damned tasty. And I've always been pleased with the freshness of the fish and the quality of their other dishes as well. I had some damned tasty hamachi there this week.. and their bbq eel is also amazing. It's no omakase-upscale-sushi or anything, but it's my new favourite-affordable-on-a-weekly-basis place. (the walking distance helps)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
We are moving a couple of blocks from Guirei as of September! Not only is it great sushi but they have very good prices on lunch specials and platters!

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
aether said:
Despite the fact that liking spicy tuna is going to brand me an ignorant rube, I gotta say that echootje is absolutely right about the volcano sushi at vincent's being damned tasty. And I've always been pleased with the freshness of the fish and the quality of their other dishes as well. I had some damned tasty hamachi there this week.. and their bbq eel is also amazing. It's no omakase-upscale-sushi or anything, but it's my new favourite-affordable-on-a-weekly-basis place. (the walking distance helps)
dude! where they heck have you been??