• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The best soft synths?

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
So does anyone have any recommendations as to which soft synths would be the best to focus on for someone who's a relative newb? Synths that aren't too overwhelming but will fullfill my needs as time goes on. I'll be going for the house/prog sounds as per my usual taste.

rulz

TRIBE Member
my choices are Zeta or LinPlug Albino

cuz both come with a lot of presets and are actually quite powerfull but before you touch anything read/start reading a book on sound synthesis

this will save you a lot of time and a no synth would be a big mistery

there is a free book somewhere online but can't remember link ATM

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

why not

TRIBE Member
Isosceles_CAT said:
seconded.

it's a good collection of the various styles of synths, which allows you to figure out how the controls work, and what you're looking for.

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
I find that Synth1 is one of the easiest softsynths to manoeuver. It really responds to parameter changes in a way that lets you understand what you're doing.

In spite of it's simplicity, it's a really solid, versatile synth. Nice deep basses, good strings, great leads..it's free AND it's really low on CPU resources.

Good stuff.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
reaktor all the way. i use it for almost everything. junglist has some pretty mean subbass, and the 'up' and 'down' pitch envelopes are sick for making tom basses and bass drops.

you can get pretty much any soft synth to sound good if you run the right fx on it or sample it tho. it really depends on how you use it.

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
Isosceles_CAT said:
^ I would not recommend Reaktor for a newb.
reaktor as a starter synth? crazazy.

I think something like the korg legacy is a good place to start. The synths on there own are a great place to start and as you get to understand what you can do with them you can combine them with the LegacyCell software. It comes with some basic FX units and it is very well priced now. The sounds are some of the best IMOP.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sauce

TRIBE Member
rulz said:
If you can remember the link, i'd be down to read that. I'm also a newb starting out.

Peace

sauce

CIRCE (Sir C)

TRIBE Member
Suite 909 said:
Reason isnt a synth is it? i thought it was a sequencer or a "poor man's" cubase...
More like a virtual rackmount full of synth modules with almost limitless routing...and what makes it even better is being able to Rewire through Cubase

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
rulz said:
but before you touch anything read/start reading a book on sound synthesis

Is there anychance you've remembered where the book is online? Would really like to do some more reading into it. :)

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
if you're interested in buying a book i would recommend the computer music tutorial by curtis rhodes. many different types of synthesis are covered as well as sampling theory and effects and pretty much anything else you can think of relating to computer music.

buy it, study it, live it.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Syntax Error said:
if you're interested in buying a book i would recommend the computer music tutorial by curtis rhodes. many different types of synthesis are covered as well as sampling theory and effects and pretty much anything else you can think of relating to computer music.

buy it, study it, live it.
Sweet thanks, I'll talk a walk over to chapters today to check it out.

The Electrician

TRIBE Promoter
I would recommend Reaktor for a newb... You might as well learn on the best and what better way is there to learn about synthesis, than to make your own...

its quite the learning curve... Most soft synths suck... so why bother with them when you can just get sorted out on best...

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Well then why bother with Reaktor, why not skip that newb shit and go directly to MaxMSP? Or Csound? :)

I think that Reaktor would be far too overwhelming for a newb. Attempting to learn too many concepts at once will likely confuse them and stunt their growth. It might even give them cancer. Besides, in my experience, people that are 'starting out' are not looking to learn about synthesis right away.

I think the challenges of effectively operating an electronic instrument and using it to write music are more than enough for someone just starting out. Once they have the basics down, they will get bored, and natural curiosity will guide them toward more advanced concepts.

Optimally, this cycle of learning and expanding will continue until they are doing something interesting and worthwhile with music. Unfortunately though, most people stop at the point of producing mediocre dance music. ;) OOOHHHH!

Last edited:

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Isosceles_CAT said:
Besides, in my experience, people that are 'starting out' are not looking to learn about synthesis right away.
That should say something like 'advanced concepts of synthesis and synth building' or something. Obviously learning the basics of synthesis is manditory in effectively operating an electronic instrument.

pseudonoise

TRIBE Member
rulz said:
my choices are Zeta or LinPlug Albino

cuz both come with a lot of presets and are actually quite powerfull but before you touch anything read/start reading a book on sound synthesis

If you like Z3TA+ (Zeta) then you will adore Rapture - also from RGC Audio / Cakewalk. This synth sounds fantastic (CM gave it a 9), and it is available for PC and MAC.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories