• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Beach or The Beaches

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
So apparently there is a poll going on about whether that neighborhood should be called "The Beaches" or "The Beach"

huh? I thought it has always been "The Beaches"? Why would they change that?

futronic

TRIBE Member
It's The Beach. And The Beach goes from Woodbine to Victoria Park, then from Kingston Road down to the lake. None of this ";Upper Beaches" crap up on Gerrard, or "Western Beaches" at Coxwell.

-- Jay aka Fut

Poot

TRIBE Member
Wiseman said:
So apparently there is a poll going on about whether that neighborhood should be called "The Beaches" or "The Beach"

huh? I thought it has always been "The Beaches"? Why would they change that?
This is why they're doing an official pole, and doing a formal naming.

;)

Gravid

TRIBE Member
Come on! Why change it now? If you went around looking to change street or neighbourhood names because they don't fit perfectly with the actual surroundings (one beach), it would be a pretty big job.

Another way to look at it: If you say to someone "I went to the beach last Saturday", they would ask "which beach?"
But if you said "I went to The Beaches last Saturday" they know where you went.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

CO2

TRIBE Member
Since ive lived in this city, and how its always been referred to me as, has always been "the beaches".

Poot

TRIBE Member
Gravid said:
Come on! Why change it now? If you went around looking to change street or neighbourhood names because they don't fit perfectly with the actual surroundings (one beach), it would be a pretty big job.
A lot of the signage/names already read "Beach".

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
beaches.

(I even called in to BT's phone poll this morning....which means I am in DESPERATE need of a good argument...beach/beaches, fuck do I even care?)

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
oh, and what's stupidest, is that "the beaches economic development committee" will be announcing today whether it's beach or beaches....uh, HAVE YOU READ YOUR OWN NAME?

acheron

TRIBE Member
CBC Metro Morning noted that while the two camps are fairly equal in number, the 'Beach' crowd have the edge because they are more adamant about their position. The 'Beaches' people are generally more easy-going and think the pole[Tribe sic] is a waste of time, whereas the 'Beach" people are all up in arms and see this as an opportunity to cement their position. In reality, it won't change a thing. The area will still be called one name or the other depending on who you talk to.

At a fundraiser in the southern U.S., a senator was heard to exclaim, "and I'd like to thank Pepsi for supplying the Cokes."

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
TaCk OnE? said:
oh, and what's stupidest, is that "the beaches economic development committee" will be announcing today whether it's beach or beaches....uh, HAVE YOU READ YOUR OWN NAME?
<3

i vote for The Beaches

Amy_J

TRIBE Member
Such a ridiculous thing to argue about. "Beaches" because at one point there were the 4 resort beaches, Ashbridges and the other 3 whatever they were(although it's essentially one long beach). And "Beach" for the obvious reason.

It's stupid either way cuz people are still gonna call it what they want.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lucky1

TRIBE Member
only people who live there call it the "beach" because it is more pretentious sounding..

everyone else in Toronto calls it beaches..

dyad

TRIBE Member
"The Beach" always reminds me of that horrible Leonardo Di Caprio movie a few years back, the only redeeming feature of which was the hot chick who's name I dont remember.