1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Audio Nerd thread

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Spacepilot, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Spacepilot

Spacepilot TRIBE Member

So.. who are the nerds who enjoy high quality audio?

What gear do you own, recommend, lust after? Portable, 2 channel, home theatre setup?

I'll start. I'm Mike and I'm an "audio nerd". I spend far too much money on gear and have a habitual bout of upgraditis.

I do most of my listening on a headphone rig comprised of a Squeezebox, a Grace 901 headphone amplifier and a pair of Grado RS-2 phones.

So lets hear it... (pun intended! wah wah!); What toys do you fellas have?

[​IMG]

2. derek

derek TRIBE Member

other than rockin' the 1s & 2s on occasion, i will the odd time break out the dat:

[​IMG]

i like my new technology, but i get a certain enjoyment using the older stuff.

3. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

not super hi end, but i have a klipsch 7.1 system consisting of a sub 10, 2 F2 towers, a C2 centre, S2 surrounds and 2 B2 bookshelves for rears. i want to add another sub 10 in the next few weeks, as i have been living in my condo for 13 months now with no noise complaints and TBH thats kind of embarassing..hehe. its being powered by a thx certified pioneer 9120 thats about to be swapped out for a big bastard elite sc07 come january

i also have a bluesky mediadesk 5.1 monitor system in my music room that unfortunately doesnt get as much use as it should. great little reference monitor system...

4. Spacepilot

Spacepilot TRIBE Member

Wicked. I'm finally getting around to thinking about a HT setup myself. Here's what I'm thinking:

• Popcorn Hour A-110 source (1080p media streamer)
    • Outlaw 990 preamp - 7.1 with balanced outputs!
    • Mackie HR-824 MK II's all around (these are active so I'll go directly out of the Outlaw into em')

I already have the Popcorn Hour, and I love it. I can get the preamp for a song, and I have a great source for the Mackies but am still looking for nice attractive stands for the em'.

Anyone have any suggestions on nice, stylish stands that are sturdy enough for a heavy speaker?

5. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

Hr824s are a studio reference monitor... They're not really designed to be pleasing to the ear...you should def demo them as home theatre setup and see if you like it before laying out the cash.

6. Spacepilot

Spacepilot TRIBE Member

Absolutely. I used the Mk I's for years in my studio before changing careers and loved them. I always found them to be pleasing... perhaps the same reason why I love the grace headphone amp (which is a reference grade pro audio piece). It reveals everything good or bad.

7. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

My buddy in la owns a studio that does film mixing. He has 7 of the hr824 with 2 mackie subs. I love it.

8. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

my long time set up has been:

NAD 701 Stereo Receiver
    NAD 502 CD Player
    Hitachi HT-202 Turntable
    Apple iPod nano
    PSB Alpha Speakers
    Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones
    Sennheiser CX300 Ear Canal Phones

I have some decent cables for the CD player but I'm not sure of the brand. It's nothing flashy, but it sounds pretty good. I've been thinking about possible upgrades, and there's a few definites:

NAD C525BEE CD Player
    Rega Planar 3-24 Turntable

My CD player is really getting bad with some CDs, and the Burr Brown DAC is a big step up from what's in my existing player. The Rega is a classic, and when you consider that my current turntable was bought in Goodwill for $8, will be a worthwhile addition.

I'm looking at a few options for speakers, specifically at some small floor standing models from Paradigm, PSB, and Klipsch. I've also been looking at a power amp for to add to the system.

I love my stereo. :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  9. octo

octo TRIBE Member

i have Cambridge Audio 540A receiver/amp and 540C CD player. I have it them hooked up to first gen passive Yorkville bookshelves. The plan is to get new bookshelves. Either Focal JM LAb 807v's or Paradigm Studio 20's.

I also want a Magnum Dynalab Tuner.

For movies I use an Onkyo 701. Axiom M80 Towers, VP150 center and QS8 quadpole surrounds. no sub yet.

next to be upgraded is the TV.

10. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

For years I rocked a set of paradigm towers with a bryston 4bst amp with a nakamichi preamp. I really can't afford this stuff right now, but my dad got me into it while I was young. 2ch stereo setup all the way. The home stereo setup has been scaled down, but my PA gear is certainly my pride and joy - 2 mackie srm450's, rane ttm56, 2 m3d's, 2 Mackie SW1801 bass bins, run through a dbx stereo 31 band eq.

11. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I got a pair of Etymotic ER4P's (w/ the S-conversion cable) and a total bithead.

Also got a great pair of Ultrasones in the buy + sell....:)

No money for a kickass speaker set but my tannoy reveal actives and A+H mixer and Audiophile 192 sound card get along pretty well..;)

12. Spacepilot

Spacepilot TRIBE Member

Nice, I have a friend who is an engineer for Etymotic and he's been on my case about trying a pair, but I have narrow ear canals and even with the small tips I doubt I'd get a good seal!

13. Spacepilot

Spacepilot TRIBE Member

I finally got a chance to start setting up my new rig ->

Outlaw 990 Balanced Preamp feeding Mackie HR-824 monitors :) Currently only a 2 channel setup, but as I get some more cash I'll round out the rest with Mackie's 18 inch sub and their hr-624's for the rears.

It sounds fantastic!

[​IMG]

14. pseudonoise

pseudonoise TRIBE Member

Nice Space. Great art choice.

15. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

I hope to set up a nice surround studio this year.

16. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Nice!

I just had to repair them... connectivity issue on the jack-end of the cable. had to get something similar done about 1.5 years ago after they caught on my bannister and tore - for some reason they did this repair in warranty...

my original purchase was some time in 2002 or 2003!

a 2 year warranty on repairs?? Pretty awesome! They actually just got back to me about 5 mins ago.

So looking forward to being able to put on some ambient music while I read on the bus - really helps the immersion factor when all the bus noise/screaming babies are eliminated from the soundscape..;)

17. Spacepilot

Spacepilot TRIBE Member

Has anyone had experience with any of the cd ripping services? I have 1000+ cd's I want to have ripped and tagged. I need to find a company that will provide FLAC files and also adhere to a custom tagging scheme I started a few years ago when I started to digitize my collection.

18. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

nice thread

if you're in the market for some headphones, check out these tricked out grados from alessandro

I have a pair of MS-1s

an awesome deal for a hundred bones

19. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

I bought a new cd player off craigslist, the Cambridge Azur 540C V2 for two hundred bucks. Sweet player.

It's paired with PSB B25 speakers and a Cambridge P35 amp (really old, 20 years or so)

I also have a Systemdek turntable with a Nagoka cartridge, not hooked up though as my phono section on the amp is busted.

Telefunken tuner as well but I never use it.

20. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

21. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

*Shameless Plug*

I have a really good friend in Barrie that deals in high end Two channel stuff. Mentioning my name could more than likely get you a great discount.

http://www.simcoesound.com/

22. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

Did anyone see the Bay/Bloor Radio add in this months Now magazine? They had a pair of SenHeiser headphones for $1799.95
    Fuck I bet you they give a good blow job too.
    They better for that price.

23. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i would spend 18 grand on speakers before i would spend 18 hundred on headphones

no matter how good they are headphones are like an interrupted handjob..youre always wanting more

24. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  25. Spacepilot

Spacepilot TRIBE Member

The new 800's are indeed nice -- I had them on a loan to audition and they sounded great - especially on my Ear+ tube amp; noticeably better (though different) than my 600's. At the end of the day though, I didn't feel like they justified the crazy $$. As with most audiophile stuff, once you reach a certain level, you can expect the performance to cost ratio to sky-rocket.

Even though my Grado RS-1's aren't as comfortable as the Senn's, for the kind of listening I do, I think I still prefer them (and they are around half the cost!)