• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

the Archos AV 500 thread!

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
After having held out for far too long, I finally decided this past week to make the long over-due move to purchase an mp3 player.

I was debating the whole flash vs. hd option 'till the last minute, depending on the other features available, but perhaps the feature I desired most was "line-in record" in order hook up to my mixer and simplify the process of making a mixtape.

I'd been looking at a few flash based players and was actually close to picking up an iriver.......

...that is till i set my eyes on this beauty:

the Archos AV 500 DVR

basically an all-in-one Portable Media Player.
here's the highlights:
- 30 gig hdd
- sweet 4" lcd screen(480 x 272 pixels)
- audio (voice/line-in) and video recording
- displays jpg & bmp pix
- plays wmv videos
- small and lightweight (3 x 4.9 x 0.7 inches,9 oz)
- simple and usefull layout/controls.

so this has all the features I was looking for and then some!

now admittidly I hadn't really heard of Archos prior to this and therefor was a little hesitant to drop the near 700 bills for it. but since the salesman assured me that if within a month I was unhappy with it, I'd be able to return it, no questions asked, I decided I could work a little more overtime to justify splashing out that much cash on something i don't really need.

I just picked this up today, so I haven't had the chance to use all the features yet (eg: recording), but so far I'm really liking it.
Pictures look very good on the screen, as does video. (though one apperant drawback is unfortunatly it doesn't seem possible to view pix and listen to tunes at the same time)

It's slightly larger than a pack of smokes and at least thus far has proven to be much less damaging to my health.
I'll report back on other features later,

tony

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
The Archos players are very good, but seem more targeted to the more l33t user.

Personally, I'm loving my Creative Zen Vision:M. There's seriously nothing it can't do.

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
Thanks guys - will look that up as well. Friend basically wants an all in one, files in palm of hand machine. She's a music/theatre/media teacher who plays in a band and would love to have all of the things she needs to teach and to archive her performances in one small device. The ability to have a video camera input = huge for her.

Having the PVR option is a bonus.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
DeepSix said:
Thanks guys - will look that up as well. Friend basically wants an all in one, files in palm of hand machine. She's a music/theatre/media teacher who plays in a band and would love to have all of the things she needs to teach and to archive her performances in one small device. The ability to have a video camera input = huge for her.

Having the PVR option is a bonus.
Ah, see that's two things the Zen can't do. No direct video input but if she can get the files into avi format, the Zen will play it.

AFAIK it can't directly be used as a PVR either. You'd have to transfer the files via your computer.

In her case, the Archos might be the way to go. I almost bought one but it was a bit too pricey for me. You may also want to check out the Zen Vision:W - it's got some more features including a Compact Flash card input, so that might be more what she's after than the Vision:M.