• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The anti-whining/bitching/moaning thread

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
Thanks Cori!
(And everyone else!)

I'm pretty darned happy about it. LOTS of change happening all at the same time - my head is whirling.

nice one grumblegirl.
i am so scared for the oral exam. (i really set myself up here.)
Don't stress about it. It wasn't terrible - just surreal. You sit with this person for 20-40 minutes (depending on your level) and they show far too much interest than what is reasonable in what you're saying, and their responses to everything you say are so scripted and rehearsed - it's a very odd bit of time.

Just spend a lot of time speaking french and listening to french radio and TV (I recommend the show 'Trauma' that just started on radio-canada, tuesdays at 9pm - it's excellent!), before your test and you'll do fine. Key for me was to have lunch right before with my very french uncle - it 'primed' me for my test right after - I was already in the french mindset.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Awesome gg! :)

I had a great day with the kids. Awesome discussion at the end of the day about population patterns and birth control. Doesn't sound exciting but it was a hoot.

Who knew?? lol

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
Last day at my soon-to-be-old job, and my boss told me yesterday not to come in at all, or to leave as early as I can today!! I had to come in for a few hours to get a few last things done, but once 10:30am hits - I'm OUTTA here!! :O

Holy crap. :D

(Whine: I will miss being able to check in on twitter/FB/tribe all day long though. Boo-urns for gov't 'net blocking. but still totally worth it to get benefits for my kid, and a pension plan, so he doesn't have to support me in my old age!!)

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Looks like I'm going to see the Baaba Maal concert in April. I haven't seen him in years and am looking forward to it. He makes my booty shake :)

On an unrelated, yet related note (only because they are both from Africa). One of my boys was so awesome today skating. We've been skating with the kids 3 times. He's from Kenya and never even seen snow, much less skating. The first time he hugged the wall but skated for 2 hours straight, and fell numerous times. The second time, he hugged the wall, and then let go, propelling himself forward on his own. The third time, he didn't touch the wall and fell, and got up, and fell, and got up, until the last hour when he kept going around all by himself without touching the wall and not falling.

I circled around but let him do his own thing, without him realizing I was keeping an eye on him. I could tell he didn't want me hovering. But the absolutely HUGE smile he had on his little face when I skated by him and gave him a thumbs up??.. melt my heart.

So proud of him. I've never seen a kid with so much drive :)

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
What started as the weekend from hell and trying to get my last minute marks done, plus reports, has turned into quite the surprise. Their final essays were due Friday and I'm so pleased by the quality of the work my kids have done.

Two of my boys have severe learning disabilities yet they pulled together very good arguments and included their sources. I'm overwhelmed. They've worked so hard these last 2 weeks. :)

penelope

TRIBE Member
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
2 of 3 student loans FINALLY paid off in full and on track to pay off the 3rd and final within the month. feels so good.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
that awesome penelope! Congrats. What a HUGE weight to be lifted off your shoulders.

We're starting to see some light at the end of our tunnel. Still a ways to go, but we're getting there.

*high five*

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
Just got back from my grandma's funeral. She had a stroke in January, then another stroke a few weeks later and things have been so hard for the past month and a bit...just get kept getting progressively worse. The service was beautiful and my family is amazing. I just feel this enormous sense of relief/release now. Really looking forward to life getting back to normal and hopefully some new beginnings.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Sometimes I go into this thread to make me happy. :) Reminder to myself of all the things I myself have to be grateful for.

Nikki - I admire your strength. I realize we're perfect strangers, but I'm so happy you have found some peace and seemingly simultaneously got to connect with your family and appreciate them. Good luck with your new beginnings.

sk8

TRIBE Member
I've been offered another year contract, better job, better pay. Catch is - I have to take a month off, no pay, between contracts. Not looking forward to that part, but looking forward to the new opportunity!

I'm feeling pretty lucky right now as many of the other contractors are not returning.

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
Congrats on the job success both of you!
sk8 - the no pay part sucks, but a month off...not too shabby! Think of all the stuff you can do!

The shirt I'm wearing today make my boobs look huge :D

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
I've been offered another year contract, better job, better pay. Catch is - I have to take a month off, no pay, between contracts. Not looking forward to that part, but looking forward to the new opportunity!

I'm feeling pretty lucky right now as many of the other contractors are not returning.
yay!
you can get EI for that month.
does it fall in the summer? it would be nice to have a month off in the summer :)
just start budgeting to put part of your paycheque you get now, aside to cover things for that month.

Last edited:

erika

TRIBE Member

yay!
you can get EI for that month.
does it fall in the summer? it would be nice to have a month off in the summer :)
just start budgeting to put part of your paycheque you get now, aside to cover things for that month.
Enjoy the time off while you can. If you are really on contract, you probably don't qualify for EI, but get all kinds of other write-offs. Consider the month a gift to you and make sure you enjoy it :)

sk8

TRIBE Member
I have been paying into EI, but it's end of contract so I don't know if I qualify or not. I don't get other write-offs because I actually work at their office and they do all the deductions, it's more like temporary or seasonal employee. I'll have to call them and see what the deal is.

I'll be off for March. I'm pulling Maya back to part-time school and Elissa will stay full time.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
I don't think the fact that you're on contract matters, unless you're doing freelance which essentially is like being self employed.

If you're on their payroll and the usual deduction are being taken, you'll qualify provided you've completed the total number of hours required.

I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure about this.

*edit: and congrats on the other contract ;)

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I really love running my own business. You learn so much about yourself, things that you never knew... it makes you act like an adult and at first, I had all kinds of "temper tantrums", but eventually I started accepting that being an adult is quite alright.

I could never work for an employer again - the hard work that I do for myself gives me so much flexibility to really be myself and do the things I love. I am accountable for my own shit and I have noone to report to but myself.

Being 30 isn't so bad. :)

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
end of contract is an option on ROE's its slotted with seasonal work and shortage of work.
you employer should make you one that says end of contract with your recall date (new contract date) on the ROE.
course it will probably take 4 weeks for you to get the EI payment so .....