• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The All-Encompassing Suit Thread about Suits

starr

TRIBE Member
I've heard good things about green shag, but they are pricey compared to the custom stuff i've had made or others i know have had made. have not heard of CODE, though.

Holt's does have a good selection of more slimmer suits, but you will pay through the nose for them.
Thanks for the Holt's price info! We haven't gone anywhere yet, but will be going at the start of April.

Who do you use for your custom stuff? Share! PM?

dig this

TRIBE Member
Resurrecting this thread in hopes of getting some good advice for a suit.

I'm looking to get a nice 3 piece suit to get married in... I went to the Harry Rosen outlet way out in 'Ssauga and they only had 2 or 3 in stock. Looking to spend about $1000 or so, but no more...

I've only bought one suit in my adult life and that was from Tom's place in Kensington. I read some recent reviews about them and people seem to think that they make their suits too big, which is exactly what's wrong with the suit I bought from them 6 or 7 years ago. I will however make a trip down there and see what they have...

What are some other places people recommend? I read through most of this thread however it is a bit outdated. A friend told me to check out the Holt's Last Call at Vaughan Mills but after reading reviews I feel like I'd get the same experience that I got at the HR outlet. Howabout smaller stores, like Gotstyle or Theodore? I have a pretty tall & thin build, so not much fits me off the rack. A made-to-measure (bespoke?) suit would be ideal, but I'm not sure about what quality I'd get for my budget.

Thanks Tribe!!

d

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
for a $1000 bucks you should have no issue getting a very well tailored suit. If you feel like driving out to Brampton. David Andrews' on main street does a great suit for under $1000. However now that i'm in the East end of Toronto, i would check out Korry's on Danforth. I've never had a bad suit from them.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I think you can get a decent bespoke suit in that budget. And for your wedding, you should! Maxwell's is back in March, so if you go that route you should have your suit by June. Is that too late?

deep

TRIBE Member
You'd get much better $1000 spent on a bespoke vs. off the rack. $1000-1500 is second or third tier for most labels - not getting their best construction or materials but paying for the name. The fit alone is worth it.

One thing you might do is find something you like off the rack, figure out the design / fabrics and then go have it made. Can PM you a tailor a few people here and myself use, prices would be less than your budget.

dig this

TRIBE Member
Part of the issue is that the wedding is in late Jan 2013, so Maxwell's is out. What exactly is Maxwell's anyway? A traveling tailor? From reading the thread I'm guessing you get the finished product in the mail?

Deep: is it possible to have a suit made from your tailor in such a short timeframe?

And thanks for the replies!

derek

TRIBE Member
for a $1000 bucks you should have no issue getting a very well tailored suit. If you feel like driving out to Brampton. David Andrews' on main street does a great suit for under $1000. However now that i'm in the East end of Toronto, i would check out Korry's on Danforth. I've never had a bad suit from them.
go to caruso's. less money, better cuts, and they carry more updated lines, not just big names.

deep

TRIBE Member
Part of the issue is that the wedding is in late Jan 2013, so Maxwell's is out. What exactly is Maxwell's anyway? A traveling tailor? From reading the thread I'm guessing you get the finished product in the mail?

Deep: is it possible to have a suit made from your tailor in such a short timeframe?

And thanks for the replies!
a month or two is the turnaround time I found. I'm sure it could be expedited and delivered in time. I'll PM you the details. Don't bother with Maxwells.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Posted this in wrong thread maybe!

I'll try here: Hey so my dad gave me a pretty slick suit, just a tad too big - where is a good place to get a suit altered to my man-body's particular specifications?

derek

TRIBE Member
caruso's on the danforth. just so you know though, depending on how much alteration is needed, there's only so much they can do.

if it can be done, the owner as be doing alterations for 50 years.

dig this

TRIBE Member
I went to Caruso's yesterday - great service and great prices, although didn't have exactly what I was looking for. They had something pretty close though, so I'll keep them in my backpocket. A custom suit is about $1200-$1300 or so, which I guess isn't that bad. I'll look around a bit more, but good to know they're there just in case.

vinder

TRIBE Member
Dig this, if you didn't already reach out to the connection Deep provided, I suggest you do. It's the same guy I've been going to for a few years now. He has done tuxes for weddings before, and they came out really well.

dig this

TRIBE Member
Hey Vinder... I'm seeing him tonight actually. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't second guessing the idea of buying a suit from a guy that someone recmended to me on a message board :eek: I do appreciate your comment however and it lessens the concern. If either of you have pics or anything else where I can get a sense of his reputation it'd be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'll just see how tonight goes.

Thanks again!
d

deep

TRIBE Member
Haha. I think that's the first time my recommendations as a trusted expert have been doubted.

Jokes aside you've probably already met and as Vinder said there are a bunch of us here who have had a lot of work done. 20 shirts, 4 suits, 1 overcoat, not a problem worth complaining about and any times there were things that needed to be fixed (2) he made it right.

Last edited:

dig this

TRIBE Member
My sincere apologies for doubting you!

What a great guy experience and great person! My confidence has been fully restored and then some...

This may have solved my life-long problems of hating shopping and never finding anything that fits properly. Of course I'll have to wait for the final product to ultimately say for sure.

Thank you again Deep and Vinder!

Dig "monkey arms" This

deep

TRIBE Member
Happy to hear it. Honestly there is no going back to buying off the rack when you get something that fits perfectly, is made to your specifications, better quality for the money spent and you don't have to go into a stupid fucking store again - your measurements on file and just picking out fabrics. If I could get all my clothes done like that it would be great, but then again my out of office uniform are Costco T-shirts and Levi's 559s.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Posted this in wrong thread maybe!

I'll try here: Hey so my dad gave me a pretty slick suit, just a tad too big - where is a good place to get a suit altered to my man-body's particular specifications?
Alexander's on the Danforth tailored a suit for a buddy (open up the jacket and took it in and hemmed the pants) for cheap. $45 bucks if I remember.

Alexanders is two doors west of McGewens(?) formally Taps n Tales.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Just want to chip in my two cents..

Seen a lot of talk in this thread about bespoke/custom/tailored suits etc..just wanna mentioned there is a different between them..

Bespoke.."to be spoken for" is NOT the same as "custom"...a "true bespoke" suit is a very long and labour intensive process which many, many, many measurements and fittings..a "one -of-a-kind" pattern is made for YOU and hand cut and sewn..there are only a handful of places in the world where these are made..ie London's Saville Row, Italy, etc..they are REALLY expensive and I'm not sure if anyone in Toronto actually does it

A "Made To Measure" suit is either a OTR suit which is tailored to your measurements or a existing suit pattern that is tailored to your measurements..this is what the majority of "custom" suits mentioned ie Maxwells in this thread really are..they are still very good quality and value and I will be looking to get one done by some tailor for my next suit.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
a month or two is the turnaround time I found. I'm sure it could be expedited and delivered in time. I'll PM you the details. Don't bother with Maxwells.
Does this guy do custom shirts? Can you send me his details? I need a new shirt and I refuse to get off the rack after having custom shirts made and Maxwell's takes too long.

I'll tell him vinder from Tribe sent me.

deep

TRIBE Member
Just want to chip in my two cents..

Seen a lot of talk in this thread about bespoke/custom/tailored suits etc..just wanna mentioned there is a different between them..

Bespoke.."to be spoken for" is NOT the same as "custom"...a "true bespoke" suit is a very long and labour intensive process which many, many, many measurements and fittings..a "one -of-a-kind" pattern is made for YOU and hand cut and sewn..there are only a handful of places in the world where these are made..ie London's Saville Row, Italy, etc..they are REALLY expensive and I'm not sure if anyone in Toronto actually does it

A "Made To Measure" suit is either a OTR suit which is tailored to your measurements or a existing suit pattern that is tailored to your measurements..this is what the majority of "custom" suits mentioned ie Maxwells in this thread really are..they are still very good quality and value and I will be looking to get one done by some tailor for my next suit.
Yes, this is true - true bespoke e.g. Saville Row is a very limited concept and much pricier, and most of the "custom" operations have the same basic business model - measure in one place and outsource production to a tailor / factory elsewhere. But it's not the same as off the rack and adjusted.

Does this guy do custom shirts? Can you send me his details? I need a new shirt and I refuse to get off the rack after having custom shirts made and Maxwell's takes too long.

I'll tell him vinder from Tribe sent me.

Sure thing, check your PMs.

Last edited:

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
I wear suits on a daily basis at work and it gets expensive. Recently I started looking at Marshalls and cannot believe how cheap it is! $200 for a Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren suit... Tough to beat that. I also do Toms Place's spring and fall deals. Got three Hugo Boss suits for $1200.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I did Sam's in Hong Kong recently and we got 3 fittings so I'd like to call it "custom." Everything was to my liking down to the lapel size, collar edges, colour of monogram and pocket lining.