• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The All-Encompassing Suit Thread about Suits

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
Damon, don't you work for Saatchi? Suck it up and buy yourself an adult suit, son.

I can see you in a Ben Sherman or something. They're inexpensive and they have good cuts for bigger guys. You're not fat but you're tall and you have a medium build. You can just get it tailored for real cheap too cuz it's not like it's a $3000 suit.

Ditch the Canalis and Boss suits, man. You're a creative professional, not a corporate douchebag. Get a unique bespoke suit or go with a British designer. You would look great in a grey suit because of your olive-y skin tones which probably come out more in the summer.
You would also look great in checkered blue shirts and French cuffs. You have long arms so they would look great on you. You're also a hot enough guy that you can do the pattern mixing.
Forget pinstripe, you're too tall and rarely looks expensive. I tried on a Dolce and Gabbana pinstripe suit and it was really the only pinstripe suit I've ever seen that didn't look like it came from Le Chateau.

Seriously, Armani, Canali and Boss is not you. I would go with Ralph Lauren Black Label, John Varvatos, Ben Sherman....

You would ROCK a Paul Smith or a not-so-busy Etro suit. Go get em, art fag!

maybe I should have opened this thread before I posted my own, or just some time since 2007 lol.

good advice here...

I think I worked at leo burnett at the time of posting this, but nobody in creative wears suits, they wear graphic ts and $300 trainers.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
where can I find ben sherman stuff here? or any of the other stuff you mentioned?

I may bribe you to come shopping when I actually go buy my wedding suit.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Damon, I was just gonna say, let's just go shopping together.

They have Ben Sherman suits at the newly revamped Eaton Centre Bay's men's department near the back. A whole section now.

And I am still championing a Tiger suit. If you're going to wear it every day, get a fairly good suit so you'll be comfortable and have a story to tell.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
wedding suit is the big deal one, that won't be for a bit but I'll for sure seek some advisement.

the wedding gear I need in the next few weeks will most likely be bought at club Monaco or something mid range and basic, yet somewhat tailored.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
Your info is much appreciated! The wedding is not until the end of July so I have time to shop around. Unfortunately I live in Edmonton and I can't make it to the Toronto stores. The wedding is in TO but there will not be enough time between the wedding and when I arrive there to buy a suit, especially if I need alterations. I think those store have locations here also and I will check them out. Thanks again.

GK: it's for my broski's wedding and then I may wear it to yours also ;)
how long are you in town for, and when do you arrive, will we have a day to planespot? music? do you need a place to crash in the city?

xopus

TRIBE Member
Anyone have suggestions for modern looking seersucker suits?
I've got an outdoor summer wedding to attend in a couple weeks, and i think seersucker would be dope. It just needs to be a modern cut, and not to pricey.

ideas?

vinder

TRIBE Member
my suit and shirts came on saturday, and i'm very happy with them. Very closely cut, with all the details i wanted (peak lapels, double rear vent, slanted pockets and ticket pocket on the jacket, slim trousers, shirts fit like a glove).

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

keld

TRIBE Member
i've been ordering my shirts off the net and have mixed reviews.

http://www.tailorstore.co.uk/
http://www.marksandspencer-madetomeasure.com/

tailor store takes all the measurements, so the shirt fits perfectly.

marks has better fabrics and seems slightly higher quality. but they only take your height/weight/age so the shirt fit is not exact. plus i've had to send 2 back due to the collars being too short (you can't fold it over a tie).

so i'd go with tailor store, but you have to pay a lot for the good fabric.

Tech_Head_Rob

TRIBE Member
I'm going to a gala tomorrow night, and I've realized my current suit jacket is too big. Any suggestions where I can get it darted/taken in? Name, address and phone number would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Anyone have suggestions for modern looking seersucker suits?
I've got an outdoor summer wedding to attend in a couple weeks, and i think seersucker would be dope. It just needs to be a modern cut, and not to pricey.

ideas?
Saw a beautiful Ben Sherman one but it was $600.

Also, Banana Republic has a great one now.

I know we already discussed this a few weeks ago but thought I'd share with everyone else my recent finds.

I am so glad I got mine last year before winter. They're so expensive now!

xopus

TRIBE Member
Saw a beautiful Ben Sherman one but it was $600.

Also, Banana Republic has a great one now.

I know we already discussed this a few weeks ago but thought I'd share with everyone else my recent finds.

I am so glad I got mine last year before winter. They're so expensive now!
I ended up going with the J.Crew one. It looked pretty awesome.
natural/cream canvas shoes, crisp white shirt with no tie, brown leather belt, and an orange and purple pocket square. looked fresh. oh....and my early 60's nikon s3 rangefinder hanging around my neck, definitely topped off the look.
I think my parents got some pictures of it, if i ever get my hands on them, i'll post it up here.

starr

TRIBE Member
Dear Tribe men,
I need suit tips for my partner. Has anyone ever used these guys before: :: TORONTO CUSTOM SUITS ::
? Or heard of CODE suits.

We're on the fence about going to GreenShag on Queen West (has anyone used them before) or another bespoke tailor, after a bit of a disappointing experience at Harry Rosen in FCP. The service was great, but given that I (we) are looking for more of a 'straight' leg in the pant the selection was very limited - as in they had two options. The first was good, but in a pattern that wasn't wanted, the second one had an odd-fitting jacket that alterations won't really help.

We'll be hitting up Holt's in hopes of more choice, but just wondering if anyone had specific experience with GreenShag or CODE or strongly recommended a bespoke tailor/org. more downtown?

Thoughts??? Halp!

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
My guy at Rosen at First CDN is amazing, not your typical sales good, down to earth, doesnt care if you buy because he knows if he treats you well you will be back. Let me know and I can forward you his contact.

Never bought at Holts.

The Bay downtown has few suits on sale in the West End Shop, give it a look, a few Zena's, Boss, but selection is getting slim.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
saw some marketing ads around Toms place, havent checked them out in a very long time. Decent, or waste of time?

vinder

TRIBE Member
Dear Tribe men,
I need suit tips for my partner. Has anyone ever used these guys before: :: TORONTO CUSTOM SUITS ::
? Or heard of CODE suits.

We're on the fence about going to GreenShag on Queen West (has anyone used them before) or another bespoke tailor, after a bit of a disappointing experience at Harry Rosen in FCP. The service was great, but given that I (we) are looking for more of a 'straight' leg in the pant the selection was very limited - as in they had two options. The first was good, but in a pattern that wasn't wanted, the second one had an odd-fitting jacket that alterations won't really help.

We'll be hitting up Holt's in hopes of more choice, but just wondering if anyone had specific experience with GreenShag or CODE or strongly recommended a bespoke tailor/org. more downtown?

Thoughts??? Halp!
I've heard good things about green shag, but they are pricey compared to the custom stuff i've had made or others i know have had made. have not heard of CODE, though.

Holt's does have a good selection of more slimmer suits, but you will pay through the nose for them.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
I do like Green Shag's cuff links they are sporting, never bought anything from them though, but always tempted.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
wow, great stuff - you could try Bulloch Tailors. 43 Colborne Street? Never bought any of their stuff they have, but the amount of times Ive walked by looks like they could handle what you're looking for.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders