• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

the Alberta floods

sk8

TRIBE Member
the flood in ontario it's was in huntsville (you know muskoka area) not chapleau. while bad not sure you can compare it to what's happening in alberta just by scale alone.
That is not the flood I am referring to. I meant the one in james bay area where they had to airlift hundreds of people out.

I am fully aware of where northern ontario is lol.

Last edited:

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
man... wtf.

i learned to not build cities in flood plains in civilization 4. It just causes sickness and unhappiness.

wtf calgary. wtf.

skin deep

TRIBE Member
Everything about this sucks. The fact that the province where I used to live as well as the country I currently live in had 50 year floods this year makes me think that the weather is just getting more nuts with every passing year.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
man... wtf.

i learned to not build cities in flood plains in civilization 4. It just causes sickness and unhappiness.

wtf calgary. wtf.
Exactly. ~ 1930-32 there was major (50 or 100 year) flood in Calgary, but obviously it was not nearly as developed and populated. Now that it is, the impact is greater. Even some cursory research into Calgary and Alberta's history would have clearly shown that it is prone to flooding. Hell, if you've ever been to Calgary during a rain storm you would know that it is prone to flash floods.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Everything about this sucks. The fact that the province where I used to live as well as the country I currently live in had 50 year floods this year makes me think that the weather is just getting more nuts with every passing year.
we are actually seeing in Ontario multiple 50 years floods annually and even starting to see 100 year floods almost annually.

while these events are supposed to happen once or twice a century we are seeing them annually multiple times

acheron

TRIBE Member
If you live in an area prone to flooding you're not going to get flood coverage. But if a water main breaks up the street and your basement fills up you can get coverage against that

acheron

TRIBE Member
Essentially the insurance companies agree with us Internet pundits in thinking that people who live on floodplains are idiots.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
As a guy living on a river, what's this about insurance not covering flood damage?
Things like sewer backups are not considered floods and usually covered under a standard form policy for via endorsement depending where you live.

Floods seeping into your home through windows, doors etc generally are not covered although there are a few exceptions depending on what caused the flooding. Major Floods covering large areas (think Queensland a few years ago) are almost never covered but private insurance.

Given some of the responses here, I strongly suggest all of you read your home insurance policies, if you have any questions as to what things mean feel free to hit me up her or if more personal via PM.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
The most troubled area is a community called High River.

Who in the fuck thought it would be a good idea to build houses in an area called "HIGH RIVER"?

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
YYCHelps

We're a group of volunteers. Our goal is simple, connect Calgarians who want to help with Calgarians in need assistance! The floods will subside... and when they do we'll be ready to continue the generous outpouring of community spirit Calgary is known for to help our city get backs on its feet.

Requests For Support
General call outs for volunteers, please post your request for support on Kijiji and reference YYCHelps in your headline. Any specifc requests including specific #s of volunteers, specific supplies, etc. please email at info@yychelps.ca. Volunteers looking for opportunities in their neighbourhoods, please search Kijiji for YYCHelps

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
The Star Phoenix is showing some serious rise in water levels in S'toon.

This is one of the few times when I'm glad I live in the middle of nowhere.

acheron

TRIBE Member
so wait they can squeeze oil out of the ground with large amounts of water but they can't get water out of a bunch of tanks sitting in water? WTF Alberta.