• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the Alberta floods

kyfe

TRIBE Member
So my friend has been sending me photos from his town and around his area showing the devistation caused by the heavy rains they've had since Monday. The area looks rough (even Calgary) and it's going to take emergency response a long time to get things up and running, road are washed away homes flooded and people displaced.

I still find it amazing that we as Canadians have no problem opening our wallets for Haiti or Japan but we don't even bother supporting our own when they're in need. Maybe it's the assumption that everyone else is worse off than we are so when it comes to us everyone thinks it will all get worked out???

anyway here are some photos

oeretS

TRIBE Member
I still find it amazing that we as Canadians have no problem opening our wallets for Haiti or Japan but we don't even bother supporting our own when they're in need.
Haiti and Japan's disasters were on a much greater scale than this, our government's coffers can handle this situation. If they couldn't, do you really think Canadians wouldn't offer aid?

Crazy scene over there, wow

sk8

TRIBE Member
Where are you getting that people won't help?

From Twitter:
City of Calgary @cityofcalgary Thanks to those who have offered aide. At this time we are not accepting and donations and do not need volunteers. Stay safe. #yycflood

I'm pretty sure Canadians are trying to help. But people here have insurance, emergency responders, and other support systems. Not that it's perfect, but it's a lot better than in a developing country.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
I'll add that I would expect aid to start coming from the public if it comes out that people are fucked and without insurance or gov't aid - this story is pretty fresh to claim that nobody is helping

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
the familia in Calgary are thankfully not flooded out, but they're saying it bad. My uncle's saying his guitar buddy's basement has water up to his waist. That's fucked up.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Maybe it's the insurance guy in me speaking and I can certainly agree with your sentiments but the reality is that this situation will not be covered by anyone's insurance policy.

Relief will need to come directly from gov't and public support. So while the assumption is that they have insurance, the reality is that nobody's insurance policy will cover damage of this magnitude, knowing this is what spurred my comment.

My example of haiti and Japan applies, when both incidents happened charities came around my office to collect support. had it not been for my friend out west sending me photos I wouldn't have realized how bad it actually was.

I probably would have joked that they should call in the army

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dig this

TRIBE Member

Devasting! Who's taking donations to replace all those rusty wheel bearings?

In all seriousness though, Star is reporting 4 people have died. They also used the pic above to go along with that report.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
According to the barrage of tv ads I've been seeing, companies working on the oilsands can work all kinds of magic. Maybe they can magically fix this too.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Sweet irony. Last year I spent much time arguing about data centre locations within Calgary to place a point-of-presence (POP in ISP/data centre/telco speak). Some of my colleagues thought I was daft for considering Calgary's flood plain, the probabilities of a 50 and 100 year flood, and how that would affect our choice of data centre locations. Every one I pointed out as "bad" is currently under water.

The downside? I have a number of family who are affected by the floods. So I will help as much as I can.

-- L.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Interesting, I would have assumed insurance covered floods. Particularly in a city where I would have assumed most people have some form of house insurance.

Northern Ontario just had a wicked flood too, but it didn't make facebook.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Northern Ontario just had a wicked flood too, but it didn't make facebook.
True, but then again, there are no Harvard educated mayors in Northern Ontario, only less-than-worthy rednecks, natives or poor folks. Shame, but that's the facts.

derek

TRIBE Member
the flood in ontario it's was in huntsville (you know muskoka area) not chapleau. while bad not sure you can compare it to what's happening in alberta just by scale alone.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
I wonder if all the Alberta separatists who live in affected areas are planning to turn down the bazillions of dollars in federal aid they will no doubt be receiving.

My guess is when the shit hits the fan being a canadian doesn't look like such a bad idea after all.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
From Twitter:
City of Calgary @cityofcalgary Thanks to those who have offered aide. At this time we are not accepting and donations and do not need volunteers. Stay safe. #yycflood
Would tweets like this hold City of Calgary liable for damages? I'm thinking of all the citizens who are not covered by their insurance policies and could have used monetary support.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
The state has no obligation to pay its citizens in a time of crisis.

Of course it will probably happen. And if the current crop of politicians had not spent Klein's hard-won surplus, they wouldn't have to go into billions of more debt to do it.

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
in cgy for the day here. came in last night and the whole place looked like a waterlogged football field or something. was originally supposed to be at the downtown hotel but the co rebooked all crews by the airport which was a good call now that the bow is cresting and there are power outages in the core. heading home tonight, will try and get a pic from the air.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I've seen more coverage about the Basketball Jones look-a-like swimming with his cat than anything else. It's cute, but pretty damn ridiculous.