• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The 2018 Academy Awards (for 2017 movies)

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
The nominees are:

Best Picture
  • Call Me By Your Name
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dunkirk
  • Get Out
  • Lady Bird
  • Phantom Thread
  • The Post
  • The Shape of Water
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Best Director
  • Christopher Nolan - Dunkirk
  • Jordan Peele - Get Out
  • Greta Gerwig - Lady Bird
  • Paul Thomas Anderson - Phantom Thread
  • Guillermo del Toro - The Shape of Water
Best Actor in a Leading Role
  • Timothée Chalamet - Call Me by Your Name
  • Daniel Day-Lewis - Phantom Thread
  • Daniel Kaluuya - Get Out
  • Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour
  • Denzel Washington - Roman J. Israel, Esq.
Best Actress in a Leading Role
  • Sally Hawkins - The Shape of Water
  • Frances McDormand - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • Margot Robbie - I, Tonya
  • Saoirse Ronan - Lady Bird
  • Meryl Streep - The Post
Best Supporting Actor
  • Willem Dafoe - The Florida Project
  • Woody Harrelson - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • Richard Jenkins - The Shape of Water
  • Christopher Plummer - All the Money in the World
  • Sam Rockwell - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Best Supporting Actress
  • Mary J. Blige - Mudbound
  • Allison Janney - I, Tonya
  • Leslie Manville - Phantom Thread
  • Laurie Metcalf - Lady Bird
  • Octavia Spencer - The Shape of Water
Best Original Screenplay
  • The Big Sick
  • Get Out
  • Lady Bird
  • The Shape of Water
Best Adapted Screenplay
  • Call Me By Your Name
  • The Disaster Artist
  • Logan
  • Molly's Game
  • Mudbound
Best Film Editing
  • Baby Driver
  • Dunkirk
  • I, Tonya
  • The Shape of Water
Best Foreign Language Film
  • A Fantastic Woman (Chile)
  • On Body and Soul (Hungary)
  • The Insult (Lebanon)
  • Loveless (Russia)
  • The Square (Sweden)
Best Animated Feature
  • The Boss Baby
  • The Breadwinner
  • Coco
  • Ferdinand
  • Loving Vincent
Best Cinematography
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dunkirk
  • Mudbound
  • The Shape of Water
Best Production Design
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dunkirk
  • The Shape of Water
Best Visual Effects
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • Kong: Skull Island
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  • War for the Planet of the Apes
Best Make-Up and Hairstyling
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria & Abdul
  • Wonder
Best Sound Mixing
  • Baby Driver
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Dunkirk
  • The Shape of Water
Best Sound Editing
  • Baby Driver
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Dunkirk
  • The Shape of Water
Best Costume Design
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Darkest Hour
  • Phantom Thread
  • The Shape of Water
  • Victoria & Abdul
Best Original Score
  • Dunkirk
  • Phantom Thread
  • The Shape of Water
Best Original Song
  • 'Remember Me' - Coco
  • 'Mystery of Love' - Call Me By Your Name
  • 'This Is Me' - The Greatest Showman
  • 'Mighty River' - Mudbound
  • 'Stand Up For Something' - Marshall
Best Documentary Feature
  • Abacus: Small Enough to Jail
  • Faces Places
  • Icarus
  • Last Men in Aleppo
  • Strong Island
Best Documentary Short
  • Edith & Eddie
  • Heaven is a Traffic Jam
  • Heroin(e)
  • Knifeskills
  • Traffic Stop
Best Live-Action Short
  • DeKalb Elementary
  • The Eleven O'Clock
  • My Nephew Emmett
  • The Silent Child
  • Watu Wote/All of Us
Best Animated Short
  • Dear Basketball
  • Garden Party
  • Lou
  • Negative Space
  • Revolting Rhymes

defazman

TRIBE Member
recently we've watched The Shape of Water, 3 Billboards and Baby Driver. Three Billboards was my favourite and any awards are deserved. Shape of Water was great, and Baby Driver should win all the sound awards.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Of the Best Picture nominees, I've seen Dunkirk, Get Out, Three Billboards, and Ladybird. I will try to see the others.

I was hoping that Blade Runner 2049 and/or Logan would make the cut.

I wonder what effect, if any, the recent allegations against James Franco had on the nominations for him and his film.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I've now seen Dunkirk, Get Out, Lady Bird, The Post, The Shape of Water and Three Billboards. We've got Darkest Hour lined up for tonight (yay dvdscreeners), and will try to find time for Call Me By Your Name and Phantom Thread before Sunday night.

Of the films I've seen so far, I'm really not sure which I'd choose. The Shape of Water was excellent, but more predictable than I'd expected, although I may have been too critical of it given high expectations. The Post was outstanding, and Dunkirk was ground-breaking. I'd be happy with any of those three winning.

My favourite movies of the year, measured by how many times I will re-watch them over my lifetime, were Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Coco, War For The Planet of the Apes, Logan, Thor Ragnarok, Wonder Woman, and Spider-man Homecoming. It was a great year for superhero/blockbuster films. :)

I'd love to see wins for Gary Oldman (actor), Frances McDormand (actress), Sam Rockwell (supporting actor), Allison Janney (supporting actress), Christopher Nolan (director), The Big Sick (original screenplay), Logan (adapted screenplay), and Coco (animated movie, original song).

It will be interesting to see how the #metoo movement plays out, with accused abuser Ryan Seacrest hosting the red carpet. I love the Oscars, so I'll be watching the whole thing.

How was Dunkirk groundbreaking?

I'm not being snarky, I just didn't really see anything that hasn't been done before in other war movies. Dunkirk is fantastically well made, directed and written, but I'm not sure if the adjective groundbreaking is really something I'd associate it with.

Anyways, getting a bit of a feeling we're going to see Dunkirk take either picture or director, while Get Out might have a shot at whichever Dunkirk doesn't take - I'm leaning towards Get Out winning best original screenplay - Dunkirk is pretty sparse on dialogue. Baby Driver deserves best editing - it's one seriously tightly made movie.

I'd like to see The Shape of Water's Guillermo del Toro take home best director, but I think he's not going to get it this year.

Last edited:

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
2017, it was a year I probably saw the most films in a movie theatre in the last decade. However, out of the 9 "best picture" nominees I'm ashamed to say I've only seen 2 of the titles "Dunkirk" and "Get Out". I stopped downloading torrents since I don't use VPN, so I didn't get to see any of the free screeners which circulated before awards season. Plus, most of the years I grew up on it was usually 5 titles for best picture, 5 names for best director and so...

Pretty surprised to see The Shape of Water win best director and best picture. Wasn't expecting that, and congrats to the Toronto crew that worked on it - hopefully more recognition comes their way.

Get Out winning best screenplay was a good choice, same for Dunkirk winning best Editing - I still think that Baby Driver is the superior, more high wire act, but the one thing that Nolan knows how to do is play with time and narrative and still tell a coherent story (ie Memento, Insomnia, Inception, Interstellar, etc).

Nice to see Sam Rockwell win best supporting actor - he's always been very underrated, but also a bit wild with his work choices. Same for Frances McDormand - she's someone that, no matter how bad the movie is, she herself and her character are almost never boring. When she's good like she is in this - she's excellent in conveying her character's conviction and anger towards the people that stand between her and closure, as well as much, much more.

Overall, not a bad note really - all the choices were ones that didn't really make me think that anyone got robbed or ignored.

Oh yeah, finally Deakins gets his due - took 14 nominations, but at least he got it with a tour de force project like Blade Runner 2049 that showcased his talents full blast.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders