• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The 2016 Academy Awards (for 2015)

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
And the nominees are ...

BEST PICTURE
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

BEST ACTOR
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

DIRECTING
Adam McKay - The Big Short
George Miller - Mad Max: Fury Road
Alejandro G. Iñárritu - The Revenant
Lenny Abrahamson - Room
Tom McCarthy - Spotlight

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

COSTUME DESIGN
Carol
Cinderella
The Danish Girl
The Revenant

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Amy
Cartel Land
The Look of Silence
What Happened, Miss Simone?
Winter on Fire

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
Body Team
Chau, Beyond the Lines
Claude Lanzmann
A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
Last Day of Freedom

MAKEUP AND HAIR STYLING
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared
The Revenant

ORIGINAL SONG
"Earned It" - Fifty Shades of Grey
"Manta Ray" - Racing Extinction
"Simple Song #3" - Youth
"Til It Happens to You" - The Hunting Ground
"Writing's on the Wall" - Spectre

ANIMATED SHORT
Bear Story
Prologue
Sanjay's Super Team
We Can't Live Without Cosmos
World of Tomorrow

SOUND EDITING
Sicario
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
The Martian
The Revenant

FILM EDITING
The Big Short
The Revenant
Spotlight

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Embrace of the Serpent
Mustang
Son of Saul
Theeb
A War

ORIGINAL SCORE
Bridge of Spies
Carol
The Hateful Eight
Sicario

PRODUCTION DESIGN
Bridge of Spies
The Danish Girl
The Martian
The Revenant

VISUAL EFFECTS
Ex Machina
The Martian
The Revenant

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Big Short
Brooklyn
Carol
The Martian
Room

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Bridge of Spies
Ex Machina
Inside Out
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Carol
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Sicario

Stop Bill C-10

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
no black actors up for oscars, despite great performances by michael b. jordan, idris ilba and will smith.

no love for aaron sorkin's STEVE JOBS script, even though he won the goldon globe and is nominated for the writer's guild award for best screenplay.

no love for ridley scott.

it looks like alejandro innaritu's film may sweep the big awards for the second year in a row. i don't think any other movie maker has pulled that off in successive years.

it would be great to see sylvester stallone and leonardo dicaprio win well-deserved acting oscars.

it's a shame that INSIDE OUT did not get a best movie nomination and will have to settle for the BEST ANIMATED FILM award. i wonder if an animated film will ever get nominated in the BEST MOVIE category now that they've got a separate animation category.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
As a movie lover, I once anticipated and put a lot of credence into the Academy Awards, but about five or so years, ago, after years of frustration and eye-rolling, I just divested. The Academy doesn't get the final word on the best films or the best accomplishments in film, they're as myopic, vapid and trivial a group as the Hollywood Foreign Press.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having fun watching the spectacle unfold, if that's what you're into, but don't look to the pomp to validate art you care about and certainly don't let it discredit great films by omission.

praktik

TRIBE Member
great to MAD MAX: FURY ROAD get a best movie nomination.

Surprised, since I saw a lot of upturned noses who dismissed it as "just a lot of action", and giving no weight to the world building - the feat of making that place REAL as fuck right down to all the frickin extras knocking it out of the park in any big crowd scene!

Definitely thought this would prevent it getting the nod, with significant chunk of the film intelligentsia not wanting to be seen liking the movie.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Not that I think any deserved it this year, but can't wait for a straight comedy to get the nod one day.

Any of the early Christopher Guest oeuvre could have qualified - maybe hes got a great one that can get him there in his old age??

rentboy

TRIBE Member
As a movie lover, I once anticipated and put a lot of credence into the Academy Awards, but about five or so years, ago, after years of frustration and eye-rolling, I just divested. The Academy doesn't get the final word on the best films or the best accomplishments in film, they're as myopic, vapid and trivial a group as the Hollywood Foreign Press.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having fun watching the spectacle unfold, if that's what you're into, but don't look to the pomp to validate art you care about and certainly don't let it discredit great films by omission.

100% agreed.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Surprised, since I saw a lot of upturned noses who dismissed it as "just a lot of action", and giving no weight to the world building - the feat of making that place REAL as fuck right down to all the frickin extras knocking it out of the park in any big crowd scene!

Definitely thought this would prevent it getting the nod, with significant chunk of the film intelligentsia not wanting to be seen liking the movie.

Mad Max has some of the best executed scenes in any movie this year. Some of the camerawork is truly next level. The Cinematography category is tough. Lubezski will probably take it again, much to the chagrin of Roger Deakins, who has never won it. This may be his sixth nom.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD was one action film where the lovers turned the tables on the haters, by claiming that those who dismissed it as "just a lot of action" or "too simple a plot" really just didn't get it - i.e. weren't smart enough to appreciate the special things about the film.

all too often those who disagree about a movie dismiss the other side's opinions by assuming the other side is not as smart. the same goes for all disagreements, actually. :)

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
The Academy doesn't get the final word on the best films or the best accomplishments in film

certainly no other group or individual has a stronger claim to having the final word on such things. that's why every film-maker would love to win an oscar, and any who say otherwise are lying.

there will always be disagreements over what is "best" in any given year, as there is no objective measurement for art. that's not a reason, in my view, to dismiss the awards that - moreso than any other movie awards - the artists themselves are hoping they will one day win.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
certainly no other group or individual has a stronger claim to having the final word on such things. that's why every film-maker would love to win an oscar, and any who say otherwise are lying.

there will always be disagreements over what is "best" in any given year, as there is no objective measurement for art. that's not a reason, in my view, to dismiss the awards that - moreso than any other movie awards - the artists themselves are hoping they will one day win.

The thing that bothers me the most is the pandering and compensation effect.

e.g. Let's give Scorsese the Oscar for "The Departed" (not a bad movie, but the best of the year?) because he didn't win for six other movies (2-3 that SHOULD have won). It's silly and renders the entire event a big circle jerk.

Obviously actors want to win one due to the historic prestige of the event. It still doesn't equate to a deserved win when the compensation effect kicks in.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
fair point, but that's human nature, and i don't think oscars are given to undeserving individuals due to the compensation effect. when scorcese won in 2007, he was as deserving or more deserving than any other nominee. (i just looked it up and it seems 2007 was not a strong year.)

i'll admit to wanting sylvester stallone to get the best supporting actor award this year. his performance was as good or better than the other nominees. if i had a ballot, i would be hard pressed to ignore the fact that, as a fan, i want him to win given his amazing body of work.

i remember wanting spielberg to win before he cleaned up with SCHINDLER'S LIST. ditto for clint eastwood before he cleaned up with UNFORGIVEN. those were also well deserved awards, i think.

if there was a situation where an actor/director won over someone else who clearly deserved it more, then i would be annoyed.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Still tho. Funny movies need not apply, there is a certain "Oscar zone" that dramas, especially, strive for

The admonition not to go "full retard" in Tropic Thunder and the entire feature length of Christopher Guest's For Your Consideration are all about how a certain type of movie calibrates itself for potential Oscar recognition.

In this way, the Academy responsible for judging the best of all filmmaking has a decidedly negative impact on the art: encouraging a dramatic homogenization suited to their tastes.

This. They're still playing catch up with who they feel they still "need" to give an Oscar to (which means a performance in the here and now can get ignored because a prestige actor has been passed over multiple times in the past - see Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman), and are still very subject to whomever has the best "For your consideration" campaign to academy voters. Winners aren't necessarily chosen because of genuine impact for their performance - it's the dumb politics and a bit of "trendy" choices that overlook the long term impact of a role or contribution that a film has made.

There's some good choices on there, but there are always others that get ignored, simply because they might not be part of the mainstream studio system or don't have the budget or star power to campaign on the level that some of the other films that are vying for Oscar have available.

Last edited:

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Still tho. Funny movies need not apply, there is a certain "Oscar zone" that dramas, especially, strive for

The admonition not to go "full retard" in Tropic Thunder and the entire feature length of Christopher Guest's For Your Consideration are all about how a certain type of movie calibrates itself for potential Oscar recognition.

In this way, the Academy responsible for judging the best of all filmmaking has a decidedly negative impact on the art: encouraging a dramatic homogenization suited to their tastes.

They also unfairly ignore sci-fi and horror.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Happy to see Tom McCarthy growing and getting the nod - been following him since his turn on The Wire as an actor and since noticing him as helming so many great episodes of flagship HBO shows.

The Cobbler was forgettable but he got the best out of Method Man in any movie ever!

Can't wait to see Spotlight

I'm surprised that Bridge of Spies wasn't nominated for more. Spielberg has really matured as a filmmaker and it was a really good.

Edit: Actually take that back, there's a decent number of nominations for it, just not best director.

silver1

TRIBE Member
it's a shame that INSIDE OUT did not get a best movie nomination and will have to settle for the BEST ANIMATED FILM award. i wonder if an animated film will ever get nominated in the BEST MOVIE category now that they've got a separate animation category.

Wall-E had the best shot IMO at getting nominated for best picture on its own (outside of the animation category).

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Winning an Oscar undoubtedly comes with a level of prestige and enables a filmmaker to get future projects funded more easily, no argument there. But I think once the immediate glitz of the Oscars fades and films are mulled over both by critics and cinephiles, a more intelligent and relevant consensus emerges.

Why continue to lend legitimacy to an institution that never awarded a director statute to Kubrick, Lynch, Welles, Chaplin, Bergman, Altman, Tarantino, etc? The same group that thinks Straight Outta Compton is one of the best original scripts of the year.What a joke!

The Academy celebrates the industry and culture of film, but remain blind to the vitality of the medium.

Last edited:

silver1

TRIBE Member
Winning an Oscar undoubtedly comes with a level of prestige and enables a filmmaker to get future projects funded more easily, no argument there. But I think once the immediate glitz of the Oscars fades and films are mulled over both by critics and cinephiles, a more intelligent and relevant consensus emerges.

Why continue to lend legitimacy to an institution that never awarded a director statute to Kubrick, Lynch, Welles, Chaplin, Bergman, Altman, Tarantino, etc? The same group that thinks Straight Outta Compton is one of the best original scripts of the year.What a joke!

The Academy celebrates the industry and culture of film, but remain blind to the vitality of the medium.

Or an institution that gave the trophy to "Shakespere in Love" instead of "Saving Private Ryan" more due to Miramax campaigning than anything else.