1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The 10 dollar lunch of Toronto

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Mar 9, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I was thinking about all the great places downtown where you can get an amazingly tasty lunch for less than ten bucks, beverage included. I have some favorites, but I am always open to finding new cheap lunch place.

A few of mine:

Goldstone on Spadina - BBQ on rice (bowl) and tea
    Mother's Dumplings on Spadina - plate of boiled dumplings & tea
    Athens Bakery on Danforth - Spinach pie and large coffee

2. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

BBQ pork buns (and an assortment of other goodies) from that bakery place on baldwin.

I miss you most of all BBQ Pork Buns:(

and you can get lunch deals from some Japanese (I think) place on bloor, closer to spadina than to bathurst, like salmon teriyaki and shit, plus soup and salad for like 5 bucks.

3. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

St Lawrence Market has tons of good stuff for cheap, although I'm partial to the one chinese food place specifically.

also, Burrito Boys. I'm especially happy that one has opened up in Little Italy.

4. alexd

Chino Loco's on Greenwood at Queen - rib eye burrito and coke zero

5. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

St Lawrence gets my vote as well, pemeal bacon sandwich to the veal they have going on, amazing!

6. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

The Clipper Cafe.

7. alexd

where's that and what do you recommend?

8. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

You can get Salad King take out for < 10$

MMm.... Need my green curry fix

9. BigLove

BigLove TRIBE Member

Hong Fatt, BBQ pork on rice is like $4 plus a dollar or so for a can of whatever you like. It's at Dundas and Huron

10. alexd

I will be down there later so I will check it out

11. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

I consider $5-$6 to be the cheap lunch, and $10 closer to treating myself. When you buy lunch every day it adds up for the month: $100 vs $200. Some people of course bring their lunch to save even that $100, but I just don't see myself doing that anytime soon. There's tons of places in the $5-6 range for lunch specials all over downtown...

12. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Speaking of which, students whining about OSAP's $7.50 food allowance is fucking ridiculous. I work full-time and I eat for less than $7.50 a day.

The article actually has people bitching about eating sandwiches that they have to make instead of going Subway. Omg, welcome to adulthood.

I hate white people.

13. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

I agree, I don't have much sumpathy for people who choose to go to university, fund their education through publically funded student loans on generous terms compared to other loans and then complain that those government loans don't extend enough allowance for food purchases.

I worked a part-time job throughout university and there are many different avenues for funding your education and ancillary educational costs. If you want to eat Subway lunches every day instead of cucumber sandwiches, work 10 hours a week as a Subway sandiwch artist or tutor. Or if you are in a demanding program that does not allow for a part-time job, get a line of credit to supplement your OSAP.

14. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

I love this place. Best Burrito I've ever had.

15. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

PETIT FOUR!!! That's the best lunch place ever...fresh, delicious and lot of healthy selections.

16. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Vietnamese subs = $2 (up to $2.50 at some places)

Absolutely unbeatable value lunch.

Please close thread now.

17. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

for under 10 bucks with a drink? good luck.

18. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

The small sandwich & salad is only 6.95...if you got a water it would still be under $10. In fact, i go there all the time and rarely spent more than 8 or 9 bucks.

19. the_fornicator

the_fornicator TRIBE Member

Anywhere that sells pho.

This'll pretty much end the thread on a good note.

20. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

sandwich box, famous bbq, fusaro's - most places i go to you can get lunch and a drink for under $10.00. those 3 are my faves.

21. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

lol - good one, its the cafe at Scotiabank, 44 King, food isnt bad, cheap prices, and nobody asks if you are an employee. But you didnt hear that from me!

22. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

The cafeteria at St Mikes is really good, has numerous healthy options that change daily, and is quite reasonably priced.

23. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

yes!

24. Aphrodite

Aphrodite TRIBE Member

J-time Sushi in The Annex -5.99
    The Ritz Jerk special (or friend chicken) -3.99
    pretty much anything @ Ginger. all locations!

25. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Ritz 3.99 special FTW.

loves me some chicken & rice