• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

that *ONE* @$%&$ing song!!

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

OTIS

TRIBE Member
For me, one of the biggest contributors to the sour taste of a tune on an album is contrast. If the tune preceding it sets a vibe that gets completely derailed by the one following in a non-complementary way, I find I develop a hatred for that tune. Thankfully, the MP3 world has largely contributed to equal rights for all tune consumption.

I can't seem to remember examples at the moment, probably due to the willful repression of their memory.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
seeker said:
the only one that really sticks out is on the Platipus Ultimate Dream Collection

Robert Miles - Children

even then I'll still listen to it occasionally, it just doesn't always beg for my attention.

hahaha! track one, disc one.

;)

JESuX

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
For me, one of the biggest contributors to the sour taste of a tune on an album is contrast. If the tune preceding it sets a vibe that gets completely derailed by the one following in a non-complementary way, I find I develop a hatred for that tune. Thankfully, the MP3 world has largely contributed to equal rights for all tune consumption.

I can't seem to remember examples at the moment, probably due to the willful repression of their memory.

see, this makes sense to me on a lot of levels... but i'm talking about tunes that even in an isolated sense make little to no creative impact on me - especially in contrast to some of the other work coming from the same artist that you could juxtapose them with.

the tracks i listed are "okay" tracks in their own merit, but just don't "DO" anything for me. and i think their mediocrity reaches an absurd boiling point after listening to them so many times in succession on a favourite album, that they just become like a little kid whining over and over again for the same thing - to the point where you want to kick them down the stairs. thus, those "meh" songs are then elevated to "turn it the @^$#W off!!" status.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
the new madonna album has that new york song on it...."Every other city makes me feel like a dork" What the fuck is that man?

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
The last song on the Rise Against RPM - Brown Eyed Girl remake. Totally does't fit the visceral spitting mad punk awesomness of the rest of the album.

What I would do, if the technology existed, would be to "burn" the existing CD onto a new disc and don't include the offending track.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
'We Only Come Out At Night' - Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness...WTF guys.

Pretty much the whole John Fuschiante solo album that he did between stints with the Chili Peppers. If you ever want to make your brain leak out, this is the album for you.

I respectfully disagree on both points.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
R4V4G3D_SKU11S said:
What I would do, if the technology existed, would be to "burn" the existing CD onto a new disc and don't include the offending track.

Wait a minute...Statue of Liberty...that was our planet! You maniacs! You
blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!

synchronizator

TRIBE Member
rubytuesday said:
It's true. Chris Martin started it though.
well for the record he told me otherwise last night after sex... he said he was really upset that you said that about him... and also? he said i was the best lay he's ever had... EVER...

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
R4V4G3D_SKU11S said:
I respectfully disagree on both points.

I'll give you Fuschiante...Hey, even I'll throw it on if I'm trying to come down from some bad mushrooms, but what did you like about "We Only come Out At Night"?

joey

TRIBE Member
that new song that is out with the whistling.... i have no idea who its by nor do i care

i also hate that snoop dog one with the tounge clucking...

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Flashy_McFlash said:
'We Only Come Out At Night' - Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness...WTF guys.
Word. Especially because it comes after XYU which is like a fucking bombast of a track and then they swing right into total cheese.

Also on my list

Pearl Jam - Hey, Foxymophandlemama, Thats Me- Vitology (Worst last track on one of the best rock albums of the 90's)

Beastie Boys - Bodhisattva Vow - Ill Communication (After rockin' us for 18 tracks you had to fuck it up with some silly Budist chant song... and without the good taste to even drop some crazy scratch interlude ie 'stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!')

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
JESuX said:
eugh. good choice.

i think there's one song like that on every pumpkins album that i dislike.

let me think....
Haha. I was just thinking that. Dispite them being my favourite band of the 90s I'd agree 100%.

One Track hatred in cronological order:

Gish - Daydream
Siamese Dream - Spaceboy
Mellon Collie (Disc 1) - Cupid De Locke
Mellon Collie (Disc 2) - Lily (My One and Only)
Adore - Shame
Machina - With Every Light

zoo

TRIBE Member
ravegod: yes! they're all crazy!

also i'm in agreeance with ravegod yet again; please tell us more about feist because none of us have heard of her! you say she is canadian? is she anything like chantal kreviazuk?