• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

that new special olympics commercial

Skipper

TRIBE Member
soooo...has anyone seen this?
I couldn't really believe it.

there's a mentally handicapped man doing a pretty fast and furious workout - bench pressing, bicep curls, etc - and he's saying over and over "show me the money, show me the money" and then he's on a cell phone saying it (like in that tom cruise movie...whatever it's called)

anyhow, if you're like me, you will probably sit there trying not to chuckle at the ad - but it's totally not meant to be chuckled at! (or is it? I hope not)

and when it's over, you let out a laugh, and then you feel bad about it.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
If they're copying that Tom Cruise movie... I'm pretty sure it's meant to be chuckled at.

Maybe they want to portray themselves as normal athletes now, that they're just as serious and dedicated as able-bodied people are, and that they even have a sense of humor about themselves.

I want to see the ad now.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Skipper said:
there's a mentally handicapped man doing a pretty fast and furious workout - bench pressing, bicep curls, etc - and he's saying over and over "show me the money, show me the money"

maybe he's a scientologist....?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
803.gif

Matt Carl

TRIBE Member
when i saw it i was watching cbc, so i was convinced it was like, this hour has 22 minutes or something...but it sure as hell was not

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Matt Carl said:
when i saw it i was watching cbc, so i was convinced it was like, this hour has 22 minutes or something...but it sure as hell was not

Yeah, this is what I thought as well...which, I hope, wasn't the point of the ad.

I personally thought it took "having a sense of humor about ourselves" a tad over the top of what was appropriate.

I have a friends at ad standards canada - I'm curious as to whether there have been complaints about it yet. (people complain about far far smaller things on television)

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
I just watched it, and now I think it is about portraying someone with a disability, behaving in the same manner as an able-bodied athlete, meaning that he's just as hard-working and determined and strong. Yet, at the end, he says "It's not about the money".

So, even though he's just as good as those other athletes out there, for the people in the special olympics, it's not about the money or the fame or winning, it's about Life.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

supakeli

TRIBE Member
I just watched it, and I don't really see a problem. I thought it was pretty cute.
Sure I smiled, but I wasn't laughing at the kid.

kmac

TRIBE Member
OK, I just watched it and I don't see the big deal. It's cute and gets the point across.

edit: It's no "Getzkey" that's for sure.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
I have a friends at ad standards canada - I'm curious as to whether there have been complaints about it yet. (people complain about far far smaller things on television)

Next time you are chatting with them see if anyone has complained about Yoplait yet.

:cool: