• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Thank You For Smoking

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thankyouforsmoking/trailer/

So I just finished reading the book and I can't wait for this movie to be released.

The book is a great read, only took me a day to finish it. Can't say enough about it. Great plot, funny as fuck and seeing the trailer first helped flesh out the characters in my mind.

Did any of you see it at the Festival? Is it as good as I'm hoping it will be? Just looking at the trailer I see there are a couple of scenes that Hollywood added in, but no biggie.

And I can't seem to find a release date for it!

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Eclectic said:
So I just finished reading the book and I can't wait for this movie to be released.

The book is a great read, only took me a day to finish it. Can't say enough about it. Great plot, funny as fuck and seeing the trailer first helped flesh out the characters in my mind.

Did any of you see it at the Festival? Is it as good as I'm hoping it will be? Just looking at the trailer I see there are a couple of scenes that Hollywood added in, but no biggie.

And I can't seem to find a release date for it!
THERE'S A BOOK?!

Yeah, i saw it at the Festival and was really pleasantly surprised. It was one of the best things I saw this year. Fucking hilarious! I love the Trio of Death (that may not be what they were actually called -- it's been a while).

Apparently Tom made them cut Katie Holmes' hot sex scene out of it...A damn shame if you ask me.

I may have posted a review in the Film Festival thread this year, but I don't recall.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
Apparently Tom made them cut Katie Holmes' hot sex scene out of it...A damn shame if you ask me.

I wonder why he wasn't able to convince Kubrick to cut out anything suggestive in Eyes Wide Shut

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

b3nji

TRIBE Member
was one of the funniest films i saw at sundance this year....highly recommended. The katie holmes sex scene will be in the theatrical release according to what the director said after the screening. For some unknown reason it was accidently missing from the screening at the festival.

Last edited:

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
THERE'S A BOOK?!
Yup, I saw it on the shelves, read the back and picked it up.

Saw at the back of the book they were making a movie so I checked out the trailer.

I may have posted a review in the Film Festival thread this year, but I don't recall.
I did a search and you posted it in the "unknown movie recommendations" thread.....said it was funny....so I started this thread.

Yeah, the MOD Squad scenes in the book are hilarious.
(MOD = Merchants Of Death)

It's amazing that there could be people so morally absent in this world.

And the one thing I didn't like about the trailer is Katie Holmes....in the book her character is described as a "bookworm/hot librarian" red head...but meh....she needs the screen time so people don't forget about her crazy "relationship" I guess.....

Looking forward to seeing it in theatres.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Eclectic said:
It's amazing that there could be people so morally absent in this world.

And the one thing I didn't like about the trailer is Katie Holmes....in the book her character is described as a "bookworm/hot librarian" red head...but meh....she needs the screen time so people don't forget about her crazy "relationship" I guess.....

Looking forward to seeing it in theatres.
The thing that struck me about the movie is that you feel a real sympathy for these characters that are 'morally absent'. Eckhart and the rest of the MOD do a fantastic job of playing this up.

The people fighting Big Tobacco are presented as goofy and equally devoid of morals (William H. Macy in particular, is hilarious). Off the top of my head, I'd compare it to - an obviously more subtle - version of the characters in Team America.

I didn't have a problem with Holmes in this movie either. Your description of the character in the book is pretty accurate to her portrayal in the movie.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
caught this last night and had a really good laugh.
i wish they'd given Rob Lowe more screen time as he was absolutely hysterical.
seeing him in that kimono - i nearly peed.

Eckhart ruled.
His kid (Cameron Bright) kinda creeps me out... odd looking child.

overall i found this film to be very entertaining.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
After reading the book though, I am a little disappointed how some major plot devices are removed...but then again, I don't want a 3.5 hour movie ala King Kong making me fall asleep in the theatre either.

:)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders