• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Thailand

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
I'm leaving Thursday to go for 2 weeks.

I'll be travelling in the southern part mostly.

Bangkok
Phuket
Ko Pha-Ngan
Ko Samui

Any advice or places I should check out?

I've already been warned by many about the "lady-boys" :p

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Agatka8

TRIBE Member
Bangkok - Oriental setting

And the city don't know
What the city is getting.
The creme de la creme of
The chess world in a show
With everything
But Yul Brynner.
Times flies -
Doesn't seem a minute
Since the Tirolean Spa
Had the chess boys in it.

All change - don't you know that when you play at this level
There's no ordinary venue.
It's Iceland or the Philippines or Hastings or;
or this place!

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster.
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free.
You'll find a God in every golden cloister

And if you're lucky then the God's a she

I can feel an angel sliding up to me.

One town's very like another when your head's down
Over your pieces
brother.
It's a drag
it's a bore
it's really such a pity
To be looking at the board not looking at the city.
Whaddya mean? You've seen one crowded
polluted

stinking town.
Tea
girls
warm and sweet
warm
sweet

Some are set up in the Somerset Maugham suite.
Get Thai'd! You're talking to a tourist
Whose every moves's among the purest.
I get my kicks above the waistline
sunshine.

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble

Not much between despair and ecstasy.
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble

Can't be too careful with your company.
I can feel the devil walkin' next to me.

Siam's gonna be the witness
to the ultimate test of cerebral fitness.
This grips me more than would a muddy old river
or reclining Buddah.
And thank God I'm only watching the game

controlling it.
I don't see you guys rating the kind of mate
I'm contemplating.
I'd let you watch I would invite you

But the queens we use would not excite you.
So you'd better go back to your bars
your temples

your massage parlou

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster.
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free.
You'll find a God in every golden cloister.
A little flesh
a little history.
I can feel an angel sliding up to me.
One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble . . .

Have fun! ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Agatka8
Bangkok - Oriental setting

And the city don't know
What the city is getting.
The creme de la creme of
The chess world in a show
With everything
But Yul Brynner.
Times flies -
Doesn't seem a minute
Since the Tirolean Spa
Had the chess boys in it.

Have fun! ;)

thanks..:)

what is that from?

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i stayed at Starlight Resort while on Koh Phangan.
i loved it there.

while in bangkok, DEFINITELY go to see the Reclining Buddha. its incredible.

i stayed at Shanti Lodge in Bangkok on 2 occasions. that place is such an oasis. good food, nice staff, beautiful restaurant/garden etc.
its a bunch pricier than some of the dives along Koh San Road, but i definitely would recommend it.
honestly, you're running the risk of having your room broken into and having all your shit stolen if you stay at some of those backpacker havens on Koh San. if you dont believe me, check out the bulletin board at Travellers Connection, you can see first hand accounts.

i know you're sticking to the south, but if you change your mind, i think you'd be a fool to miss out on Chiang Mai and the surrounding areas in the north. my personal highlight of Thailand.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
KOH SAMUI

shop around for resorts. you can get really nice ones for ridiculously cheap. (the ones that solicit you at the airport are neither the best nor the cheapest.)

rent a motorbike. they are easy to ride.

there are lots of cool pubs/bars but you'll probably end up at 'the orange mango'. 'the reggae pub' is also pretty cool if it's a busy night.

if you see 'rocky bay' beach parties advertised for saturday night / sunday morning, make sure you go. :)

KOH PHANGAN

the next full moon party is FEBRUARY 5, 2004. the island goes MENTAL at that time. at other times, it's pretty chill.

find the pub in the jungle and order a mushroom shake. (make sure you don't have to go anywhere for a while though.) :)

if you need other supplies, go to 'the hard rock' (it's not a real hard rock) and ask for neil (an english guy) or go to the isrealis at chicken corner. do not buy anything from the locals.

the main beach (haad rin) during a full moon party will be rammed with about 10,000 people and there will be lots of variety of music including house, trance, goa and drum 'n' bass. get used to dancing barefoot in the sand.

other than that, keep an open mind and have fun.

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Booty Bits

i know you're sticking to the south, but if you change your mind, i think you'd be a fool to miss out on Chiang Mai and the surrounding areas in the north. my personal highlight of Thailand.

Thanks.. I'll keep that in mind. :)

My friend who is meeting me there, is planning it so we very well end up there... I will mention it! ;)

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
if you do make it up that way, dont miss the Chiang Mai curry. its a yellow curry noodle dish that i ADORED. so tasty.
also, take a thai cooking course while you're there. i did a 1 day one that was affiliated with my guest house. i wish i could remember the g.h. name off the top of my head. that place was so cheap and so good.

also, try to get out and do a trek in the hilltribe regions. we rode on elephants, trekked through the jungle, swam in waterfalls, rode on bamboo rafts and slept overnight in a hilltribe village. incredible experience. (originally i was very reluctant to do the trek cuz i thought it was exploiting the hilltribe communities, but i think i was originally mistaken)

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Re: Thailand

Originally posted by Klubmasta Will

the next full moon party is FEBRUARY 5, 2004. the island goes MENTAL at that time. at other times, it's pretty chill.

I know... damn.. I am going to miss this ( I leave Jan. 31) This is one of the things I was looking forward to the most :(

Thanks for the other advice too :)

Originally posted by terrawrist III

stay away from the hookers...you don't want to discover a greeny rash when you get home safe, I learned the hard way:(

being a wise guy or did god forbid that really happen?:eek:

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
In BKK, take the water taxi; it was loads of fun, we went from due West of Koh San Rd. area down to the ChinaTown and Little India area. Met some very cool locals and monks. Cost was like .04 cents. Worth every penny :)

If you're giong to be in the south, get over to the West coast; Andaman Sea side.
Koh Phi Phi IS THE SHIT.
Heard great things about Koh Lanta as well; we were too enamoured w/ PhiPhi to leave though.

Most importantly -- have a great time :)

Agatka8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Sugar D
thanks..:)

what is that from?
That's an old 80's tune.
Very catchy.
It's called : One night in Bangkok.

Great song that gave me my first impressions of Bangkok. ;)

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
other advice

pick up a pair of scuba shoes before you go. they're about $20 at 'mountain equipment co-op' and they'll let you walk anywhere in the water.

you can use your canadian bank card at most of the ATMs (even on koh phangan island) and the rates are pretty good. they will also exchange canadian money. (some mook told us to bring american money so we basically had to pay to exchange our money twice.)

very general rule of thumb when bartering: you can usually get stuff for about 1/2 of the vendor's opening offer.

don't be afraid to drink "the bucket". :)

take a scuba diving trip from koh phangan if you have a spare day. (we ran out of time and i regret that.)

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
cheers everybody.

some great advice in there that I'll definitely jot down.

thanks. :)

P.S- what's "the bucket"?

ahhh One Night in Bangkok... now I know the song. :cool:

Destiny Productions

TRIBE Promoter
The "bucket" as Will and I so clearly recall is basically just that - almost every bar and vendor sell them:

1 Bucket = 1 Children's sand bucket filled with ice and about 10 straws + 1 bottle Red Bull + 1 Can of Coke + 1 mickey of Thai whiskey.

You just pour the three ingredients in the bucket and enjoy! (usually with friends). You will notice pretty much everyone carrying them around and they are only about $5.00 CDN - or less now that the dollar is up!

OS

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
33780001.jpg

bucket goodness can be absorbed thru the feet for maximum effect