• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Thailand - How much, incl. flight, for 1 month?

scott

TRIBE Member
So I've finally said "fuck it, I'm going". A lot of my friends have done it (traveled) and come back a different person and at this point in my life, I need this.

Originally wanted to go for a year and travel the world but doing that, I'd come back and have to start from scratch. For 1 month I can keep my place, my job, my stuff and continue where I left off.

My Manager approved it....so from September to October, I shall travel.

Ms. Tantrum told me I could do it for $3K. Just wanted to get some of your opinions/experiences.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I think you're looking at maybe $1300-1500 for the flight. Accomodations can be had for as low as $20 a night from what I hear, if you're willing to comprimise on things like bugs and space.

Let me know what you find! I'm looking to go around fall of next year.

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
I said that was MAXIMUM depending on where you stayed and what you wanted to do. :) Heck you can spend as much as you want over there! To do it fairly comfortably if your flight is 1200, you could easily spend only 1000 on the month there bringing it up to 2,200 Less or more according to your tastes. i'm budging 1000 a month for my trip away but i will be scuba diving quite a bit.

you can get accomodation even cheaper then 20 dollars a night, i've done it! :D

also outside of BKK and the more touristed areas the price drops quite a lot!

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
I'm pretty sure there is a Thailand thread floating around here that has tons of info.

Flight will be around $1500.

You can do WAY less than $20/night for a nice place. The cheapest I did was .50 cents/night for a bamboo hut on the beach...literally nothing else but a mat. Shared washroom/shower ,etc. You can get a nice ocean front bungalow/hut with full bathroom, nice balcony, etc for around $14/night. All depends on where you go. This was in 2002 though.

$3000 seems high for one month.

Dan

scott

TRIBE Member
--[Zirca]-- said:
I'm pretty sure there is a Thailand thread floating around here that has tons of info.

Flight will be around $1500.

You can do WAY less than $20/night for a nice place. The cheapest I did was .50 cents/night for a bamboo hut on the beach...literally nothing else but a mat. Shared washroom/shower ,etc. You can get a nice ocean front bungalow/hut with full bathroom, nice balcony, etc for around $14/night. All depends on where you go. This was in 2002 though.

$3000 seems high for one month.

Dan

i did a search but i got lazy trying to find it. i'm not really worried about the accomodation...it's more the flight.

She

TRIBE Member
I will be in SE Asia for the month of September too! The last week of Sept I will be in Thailand. I plan to spend about $1500 for flight and then I will have another $1200 for spending, lodging etc for the month..I think that will be enough to travel quite well.
My question is I am looking for a flight that flies into Taiwan from Toronto and then flies out of Bangkok to Toronto on the way home...open jaw ticket I think they call it. This seems to be alot more expensive to do it this way...anyone do this before? if so how much should I expect to pay over what a normal round trip ticket would cost?

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
Open-jaws usually are much more expensive -- flights from Bangkok to Taipei aren't that expensive (at times, although you'll be there in high season....), so perhaps buying a round trip to Toronto --> Taipei, with another round trip from Taipei--> Bangkok is a solution..... I'd recommend buying that BKK ticket in Taiwan, you'll def. get a better deal.
I assume you're going to Taiwan because you know someone there/will be staying a few days? If so, have them look into cost of a TPE -> BKK ticket for you.

scott

TRIBE Member
thanks booty bits. allie sent me the link. pat's write up was incredible. we're talking like 4 months down the road and i'm already jittery with excitement.

this is the flight i think i'm gonna book:
Option 1
Rules and Restrictions
Departure (Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Bangkok, Thailand)
From To Airline Flight # Class Stops Departure Date/Time Arrival Date/Time Aircraft Type
YYZ LAX American 1311 S 1 Fri, Sep 01/06, 10:17 AM Fri, Sep 01/06, 2:15 PM
LAX TPE China Air 7 Q 0 Sat, Sep 02/06, 1:15 AM Sun, Sep 03/06, 6:10 AM
TPE BKK China Air 693 Q 0 Sun, Sep 03/06, 9:40 AM Sun, Sep 03/06, 12:20 PM
Return (Bangkok, Thailand - Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
From To Airline Flight # Class Stops Departure Date/Time Arrival Date/Time Aircraft Type
BKK TPE China Air 66 Q 0 Sun, Oct 01/06, 8:25 AM Sun, Oct 01/06, 1:00 PM
TPE LAX China Air 6 Q 0 Sun, Oct 01/06, 4:40 PM Sun, Oct 01/06, 1:25 PM
LAX YYZ American 1586 S 0 Mon, Oct 02/06, 9:30 AM Mon, Oct 02/06, 5:09 PM
Number of passengers: 1. Base price per passenger excluding all taxes: $1438.00
Total price per passenger including taxes and airline surcharges: $1623.09 CAD

She

TRIBE Member
SlipperyPete said:
Open-jaws usually are much more expensive -- flights from Bangkok to Taipei aren't that expensive (at times, although you'll be there in high season....), so perhaps buying a round trip to Toronto --> Taipei, with another round trip from Taipei--> Bangkok is a solution..... I'd recommend buying that BKK ticket in Taiwan, you'll def. get a better deal.
I assume you're going to Taiwan because you know someone there/will be staying a few days? If so, have them look into cost of a TPE -> BKK ticket for you.

Thanks..ok that is good info. I actually got recieved a quote from Travel Cuts that flies into Taiwan (yes, I am visiting a friend there) and then out of BKK to Toronto for $1545 incl taxes. I wonder if that is as cheap as I will find it or would I be better off doing what you said and getting a roundtrip to Taiwan and another roundtrip from Taiwan to BKK...hmmm.
I am heading to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to see a friend..anyone ever been?

scott

TRIBE Member
Forgot to add....I'm going by myself. I've never done anything like this in my life. Good or bad idea?

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
I've lived in Taiwan before, but not in Kaohshiung. When I visited that city, I foudn it was really dirty & gross and I'm glad I didn't have to spend more than a weekend there.

But I'm sure you'll have a great time :)

Kinger

TRIBE Member
scott said:
Forgot to add....I'm going by myself. I've never done anything like this in my life. Good or bad idea?

Definitely a good idea. You don't want anyone to know your dirty little secrets.

Kinger

TRIBE Member
scott said:
Ya well I hope so.

I picture myself getting off the plane and being like "uhhh....now what?"

I'm sure you could find a wife or husband for a month. Or even a mixture of the two.

She

TRIBE Member
scott said:

I'm going by myself too! Can't wait..travelling alone is a totally different experience.

She

TRIBE Member
SlipperyPete said:
I've lived in Taiwan before, but not in Kaohshiung. When I visited that city, I foudn it was really dirty & gross and I'm glad I didn't have to spend more than a weekend there.

But I'm sure you'll have a great time :)

yeah, I heard that too actually, Im visiting one of my best freinds there and then going on a solo trip to Vietnam/Thailand. He lives outside of the core city on the ocean and he says its a great spot away from all noise and people...I just cant wait to go, counting the days already.

She

TRIBE Member
scott said:
are you going for just a month as well?

im going for a month in total..but only a week or 10 days in Thailand..the remaining time in Vietnam and a few days in Taiwan..