• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

thai express sucks as do most thai/chinese places

octo

TRIBE Member
i asked for chicken fried rice with basil sauce.

i don't remember saying "easy on the chicken, heavy on the rice"

i don't need that much fucking rice, i would like get some protein.

$11! that they don't even pay tax on cause they don't ring it up (which happens at almost every place i go to). it's not even the price. it's the fact they try to make it look like a big portion when in fact it's just a shit load of rice.

i ate 2 hours ago and i'm still bitter.

why is it so hard to find a decent place to get chinese/thai food for lunch without it being a big ass plate of noodles or rice.

i check thai express's website
supposedly i am to get 70g of chicken and 173g of rice.
:rolleyes:

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
You're going to a mass-market over-priced americanized chain. Its the equivelant of Manchu Wok

That's what you get.

:\

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
my two favorite thai places for taste/quality/quantity:

Flip, Toss & Thai (Harbord & Brunswick): This place is owned by the original cook of Salad King - from back in it's glory days. His curried noodle dishes are top freaking notch. $8-9, for Green Lady (green curry noodle) and Islam Noodles (Green Curry noodles with Peanut sauce. Same price for thai basil fried rice. He uses all authentic thai ingredients like fish sauce, galangal and birdseye chilis. I haven't found a better tasting thai place in the city.

Also, his Panaeng Fish will change your life. Crispy fried fish pieces with a Panaeng (red curry peanut) sauce. It's best fresh , if you can eat it there - so the fish isnt soggy. But still divine as takeout/

Thai Lime (Landsdown and Dupont, bu they have a HUGE delivery area) : The best thai place for vegetarian options, hands down. It's been our go to place after a weekend with molly when we're just not feeling meat. Their Avocado stir fry is divine. Their portions are beyond huge, and $25 worth of food has usually given us 2-3 meals. They also have TONNES of lamb options

Last edited:

octo

TRIBE Member
well what options do i have near steeles/dufferin?

i think there's a place on Allness that might give more meat for the buck

edit. and fuck you downtowners with all your downtown options.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
well what options do i have near steeles/dufferin?

i think there's a place on Allness that might give more meat for the buck

edit. and fuck you downtowners with all your downtown options.
Thai Basil @ Dufferin and Finch is decent.

it's been a go-to spot during lunch hours for years - but i haven't been for a while

kuba

TRIBE Member
HOLY SHIT you're at Dufferin and Steeles?

BAMBOO HUT

Right beside the Staples north side of Steeles past dufferin, under the bridge.

Amazing. Let's go for lunch! Gay Tribe Date. We can talk about vintage cool cars.

octo

TRIBE Member
just did a quick google search and it sounds pretty good!

i'm down for lunch. maybe next week

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
HOLY SHIT you're at Dufferin and Steeles?

BAMBOO HUT

Right beside the Staples north side of Steeles past dufferin, under the bridge.

Amazing. Let's go for lunch! Gay Tribe Date. We can talk about vintage cool cars.
Its right beside my office - and i'm not a fan at all.

it's pretty generic, and not very fresh. They've got a hot table in back, and add whatever sauce to the meat/veggies of your choosing - and its not made to order.

Thai basil > Thai Bamboo Hut, imo

even though i work on the corner of steels & keele - we'll drive just to get better food

Last edited:

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Not to stray off topic, but if you're loooking for great food in this area - there are a few stellar spots (ive worked at the corner of steeles/keel for 8 years now, and have vastly explored the area, and seen many places come and go)

Sandra's Kitchen : (south side of steeles, in the plaza at bathurst) Classic Italian Hot table. huge portions for 8.99. HOme made lasanga a few times a week, amazing porchetta, roasted veggies, cutlets, pizza, all kinds of delicious home made goodness

Pho Linh: (Corner of Petrolia & Steeles) Best pho i've ever had. Sister to the location on college st @ Dufferin. The S3 (avail mon-thursday) is my favorite soup in the city.

Birmyan Kebab (Keele & York blvd) : Amazing made to order afghani food (halfway between persian and indian food). The dinners (from 10-$12) include nan, brown basmati rice, salad, home made dressing and a wide range of amazing kebabs and grilled meats.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Its right beside my office - and i'm not a fan at all.

it's pretty generic, and not very fresh. They've got a hot table in back, and add whatever sauce to the meat/veggies of your choosing - and its not made to order.

Thai basil > Thai Bamboo Hut, imo

even though i work on the corner of steels & keele - we'll drive just to get better food
?! hot table in the back ?! I don't think it's the same place we're talking about. Do the two server girls have massive lips and/or is it beside a vitamin place? There's no hot table in the back...

kuba

TRIBE Member
Not to stray off topic, but if you're loooking for great food in this area - there are a few stellar spots (ive worked at the corner of steeles/keel for 8 years now, and have vastly explored the area, and seen many places come and go)

Sandra's Kitchen : (south side of steeles, in the plaza at bathurst) Classic Italian Hot table. huge portions for 8.99. HOme made lasanga a few times a week, amazing porchetta, roasted veggies, cutlets, pizza, all kinds of delicious home made goodness

Thanks. Must be a jewish italian.. that's a typically jewish area!
Pho Linh: (Corner of Petrolia & Steeles) Best pho i've ever had. Sister to the location on college st @ Dufferin. The S3 (avail mon-thursday) is my favorite soup in the city.
Is this on the north east corner? Yes. The little dude there is cool. We chat about tennis ALL the time.

Birmyan Kebab (Keele & York blvd) : Amazing made to order afghani food (halfway between persian and indian food). The dinners (from 10-$12) include nan, brown basmati rice, salad, home made dressing and a wide range of amazing kebabs and grilled meats.

Have you been to Aida's Bakery at Pine Valley and 7? A bit of a drive but their sandwiches are pretty damn delish.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I am in the area once a week, I am going to try that Viet place.

Are there any good and cheap Chinese around there without driving all the way to Hwy 7?

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
?! hot table in the back ?! I don't think it's the same place we're talking about. Do the two server girls have massive lips and/or is it beside a vitamin place? There's no hot table in the back...
Yes, there is. It's in the kitchen.... not for customers.

My point is, it's not made to order. its all pre made and put together in 2 minutes

I'm sorry octo and bacchus

Thai Bamboo

https://plus.google.com/110201674968902199313/about?gl=ca&hl=en

Not bamboo hut

yeah, thats the one...*gag*

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Is this on the north east corner? Yes. The little dude there is cool. We chat about tennis ALL the time.
hrrm, not sure about the little dude - it use to be owned by another guy afew years ago, and he was a big tennis/soccer man. Maybe it was then?

They've been Pho Linh for a year now

Have you been to Aida's Bakery at Pine Valley and 7? A bit of a drive but their sandwiches are pretty damn delish.
nah, i dont drive :(

kuba

TRIBE Member
To each their own. Many who have tried TB have loved it. I wouldn't go so far as to call that *gag* when the original poster was mentioning thai express ;)

peko

TRIBE Member
Thai Lime (Landsdown and Dupont, bu they have a HUGE delivery area) : The best thai place for vegetarian options, hands down. It's been our go to place after a weekend with molly when we're just not feeling meat. Their Avocado stir fry is divine. Their portions are beyond huge, and $25 worth of food has usually given us 2-3 meals. They also have TONNES of lamb options
I liked their delivery menu. Good to know they make huge portions too.

Do they make a General Thai Chicken kind of thing? I'm craving GTC so badly!

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
To each their own. Many who have tried TB have loved it. I wouldn't go so far as to call that *gag* when the original poster was mentioning thai express ;)
Yep, to each their own.

As someone who cooks homestyle thai food with authentic ingredients at home at least once every week or two - i just can't justify thai food that isn't made fresh, or is very americanized.

I liked their delivery menu. Good to know they make huge portions too.

Do they make a General Thai Chicken kind of thing? I'm craving GTC so badly!

nope. "General thai Chicken" is a Thai Express original creation, and their take on General Tso, which is an chinese-style food created in the US, and not China.

The closest thing to that they'll have is 62, Chicken Devil - which is damn nearly the same ingredients as general tso

lightly stir-fried breaded chicken with onion, sweet pepper and sweet & spicy sauce.

Last edited:

acheron

TRIBE Member
we like Thai Chef Cuisine on Roncesvalles.

This might be sacrilege but their food is actually non-greasy, and reasonably lean on fat all-round. They're also DAMN quick on delivery. Like 20-30 mins which is epic for asian delivery. Tasty food. Their pad thai isn't all-about-ketchup and they make a wicked mango salad. No skimping on portions, too. Free spring rolls with over $25 delivery.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
we like Thai Chef Cuisine on Roncesvalles.

This might be sacrilege but their food is actually non-greasy, and reasonably lean on fat all-round. They're also DAMN quick on delivery. Like 20-30 mins which is epic for asian delivery. Tasty food. Their pad thai isn't all-about-ketchup and they make a wicked mango salad. No skimping on portions, too. Free spring rolls with over $25 delivery.
went there once for a dinner with friends for dine in. was definitely impressed.

Ketchup is not thai. I refuse to eat pad thai anywhere where the pad thai is red.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories