1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

texting while cycling, walking in traffic, doing other stuff

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Apr 30, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

WTF! I see more and more of this every day. Yesterday I was stuck behind some guy riding a beater on Queen and wondering why he was so slow. Trying to pass him between the streetcar tracks and the potholes and the curb and the car traffic flow took a while, but when I did I saw he was fully engaged in texting somebody.

I saw two separate women yesterday standing smack on the dividing line in the middle of queen st., in the middle of traffic, texting. It's like they couldn't wait until they jwalked to the other side of the road even.

I text while mowing the lawn, while cooking, while watching TV, and even while walking down the sidewalk sometimes, but I would stop short of texting while cycling - it's hard enough cycling while not getting run over by cars who's drivers are texting.

2. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

fuck it. i applied for a job on my laptop while cycling in this morning.

3. alexd

It's only a matter of time before they invent a waterproof cellphone that will allow texting in the shower.

4. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Popularity of texting must have risen greatly over the last year. I have never seen so many people at it everywhere. I totally agree though it's getting a bit ridiculous.....

5. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

I once saw a guy in a top hat riding a bike no hands while he used a cigar guillotine to chop the end off his stogie, light the thing with a zippo and keep riding. I really had to give him props as he was going at a decent speed, navigating Queen St. traffic all the while maintaining the air of a gentleman. It would only have been better if he was riding a Penny Farthing.

6. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Hey you can get a shower-radio, why not a shower twitter pad?

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

sometimes i have to adjust my monocle and top hat while cycling. but that's just the price i pay for being a gentleman.

8. queen naeema

queen naeema TRIBE Member

i saw a guy riding down college last week with his flip phone tied to his head, carrying on a conversation while riding. at least he was handsfree?

9. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

What I see are a lot of people pulled over by cops. Usually when you drive, you can tell, oh...that person made a left between the wrong hours, or that person just robbed a bank, or that person was speeding....

......I see a lot of cars pulled over lately for no reason.

Me? I don't touch my phone anymore behind the wheel.

10. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

Same here. if I don't have my headset on I just don't pick up!

11. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

If you need to take a call, you should pull over and do it in the bike lane so everyone is safe!

I think the phone ban makes it worse. Now people text out of sight, on their lap, so they're looking at the road even less. There also seems to be a longer wait for the cars to start moving once the light turns green. I suspect red-light texting.

12. alexd

This

13. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i guess laws can only guide society so far. if the majority of drivers are morons and can't run their car let alone their lives, we're all fucked.

14. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Nail on the head.

I know for a fact this is exactly what is happening on all 3 points you made here.

Sadly. as expected I lost the $150 blue tooth device I got when the law came into effect within a month of buying it. I stopped buying expensive sunglasses 15 years ago for this very reason. :(
    I haven't replaced it yet, but I should before I get caught. Texting you can hide but talking on the phone is obvious.

15. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

i throw anything within my reach at anyone i see driving while talking or texting.
    i think i'm making a difference...