• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Terrorism Thread: All the News & Views

praktik

TRIBE Member
JUst a different way of looking at Trump's comments - Im sure people like Mark Steyn will sell more books with this attack as a centerpiece in the Islamisization of Europe (the source material for Trump's opinions) but this is nothing more than the inclination of all of us to see world events as confirmations of what we already think about the world.

While there are kernels of truth in Trump's jingoism he's pretty much just spouting off the cuff about things much more complex than his soundbites could ever describe.

praktik

TRIBE Member
...this is nothing more than the inclination of all of us to see world events as confirmations of what we already think about the world.
Anti-imperialists will see it a sign of continued failure of western policies connected to the Middle East (blowback)
Foreign policy experts will use it remind us of the essential need for Western action
Surveillance people will use it to argue for increased surveillance
Fortress America people will use it to justify increased security
Snowden will think about how this will impact the penetration and scope of surveillance
Bill Maher will see it as confirmation of the Evilness of the Enemy
AboveTopSecret will see another false flag
Donald Trump will see a horrible thing happening in a "horrible city"
Mark Steyn will see a vindication of his particular worldview

Some of these people will be more right than others.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Lojack

TRIBE Member
I do not want to undermine the tragedy that occurred in Brussels today, though I cannot help but think of all the similar nonsense that occurred in Europe in the 1970's and 1980's, and ask why is this seen as something new? The players are different, but in some way the actions are not dissimilar. Maybe because Brussels is where the EU is based out of, maybe it is seen as an attack against the entire EU. Some of the early reporting I saw made repeated mention of how close the attacks were to various EU institutions within Brussels. Not really sure. More thinking required.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Everything We Know About The Suspects In The Brussels Attacks.

Prosecutors believe that at least four people were directly involved in this weeks leading up to the attacks.
Three of those suspects are believed to have blown themselves up. The fourth is on the run.
Two of the dead suspects are believed to have been a pair of Belgian brothers: Ibrahim and Khalid el-Bakraoui.
The two brothers had years-long criminal records, but came to the attention of counterterrorism investigators only recently.
Belgian prosecutors are now looking into potential links between the brothers and two terrorists believed to have participated in last year's attacks in Paris.
One of the Brussels attackers was caught in Turkey in June last year and deported to the Netherlands.
A senior Turkish official told BuzzFeed News that his country had warned the Belgian government about one of the attackers as early as last summer, but the warning went unheeded.
Furthermore, Turkey's President said " There is no reason for the bomb which exploded in Ankara not to explode in Brussels, where an opportunity to show off in the heart of the city to supporters of the terror organization is presented, or in any city in Europe. Despite this clear reality, European countries are paying no attention, as if they are dancing in a minefield. You can never know when you are stepping on a mine. But it is clear that this is an inevitable end " a couple days before the Brussels bombings.

wow.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
^

http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/1.710572

"The Belgian security services, as well as other Western intelligence agencies, had advance and precise intelligence warnings regarding the terrorist attacks in Belgium on Tuesday, Haaretz has learned.

The security services knew, with a high degree of certainty, that attacks were planned in the very near future for the airport and, apparently, for the subway as well. "

The article does not indicate the source of this, but Haaretz is a respected Israeli daily, so I'm inclined to think it is possibly accurate. Regardless of whether it is or is not, Belgian security services & government really f*cked up, as retaliatory actions by IS-IS for the arrest of a key player were certainly possible, and they did not increase their security footprint at vulnerable locations. Coupled with all the various leaks which gloat about how Abdeslam is talking, and the post-attack leaks about key operational details, the Belgian government is coming across as a bunch of amateur clowns, at least to me.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
Im with ya.

but in certain worldviews every screw up only looks that way - see if they hadn't of screwed up they wouldnt have had the big media event they need to Control Us

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
even though Trudeau pulled our jets out of Syria, it's only a ( small ) matter of time before something really big happens here in Canada. hope i'm wrong.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Canada put itself on the map as a target when we joined the coalition in 2001 in Afghanistan, but the bombing mission in Syria lately certainly put us in deeper and added more legitimacy to us as a target for terrorist operations in the eyes of our adversaries in the ME.

This is what happens when you suborn your foreign policy to a superpower, you get to have all the same enemies that superpower has.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I wish I could remember the poll to make some legitimacy to this post, but the general gist was that (not surprisingly) the USA was seen negatively in the world, whereas Canada was seen overwhelmingly positive (by people in Muslim countries). You'll have to take my word for it, which isn't much.

In Europe, multiculturalism has failed. Angela Merkel even said so publicly. Whether it is newcomers having no inclination to assimilate or the host country making it difficult or impossible for assimilation, is arguable but ultimately pointless.

When you get a large enough population of disaffected people, in this case Muslims, inside a state that will give social handouts but not much more, you're just asking for trouble. And trouble is what they've received, through radicalization or other means.

I really hope we in Canada can learn from this lesson and ensure that the immigrants and especially the refugees that we've decided to take in, that they receive the support they need to adjust to life in Canada and life with Canadians. It's our only hope to avoid European style terrorist attacks in the next generation when these people grow up.

-jM
A&D

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
a Theory on the recent attacks in the UK...Corbyn wants to halt all sales of arms to the Saudis...ISIS is financially backed by the Saudis...and these attacks are an attempt to scuttle the Election.
May says the Election will go on.