• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Terrorism Thread: All the News & Views

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
A blast shook the Maelbeek station in downtown Brussels, not far from the area that houses most of the European Union’s core institutions.

Two explosions, at least one caused by a suicide attack, in the departure hall at Brussels Airport killed at least 11 people just before 8 a.m. local time, or 3 a.m. Eastern time.

About an hour later, an explosion at the Maelbeek subway station in central Brussels, not far from the European Union’s core institutions, killed at least 15 people.

More than 130 people were reported wounded in the three attacks.

• Was it terrorism?

Officially, Prime Minister Charles Michel of Belgium said there was no information about whether the attacks were related to the arrest last week of the main surviving suspect in the assaults in and around Paris last year that killed 130 people.

But the timing is clear. “We were fearing terrorist attacks, and that has now happened,” Mr. Michel said.

The suspect arrested on Friday, Salah Abdeslam, is believed to be the sole survivor of the 10 men who were directly involved in the Paris attacks on Nov. 13.

• Why Brussels?

In addition to being the seat of European Union government and the capital of Belgium, Brussels has become a focus of counterterrorism investigations, notably since the Paris attacks.

Officials have also been concentrating on a particular Brussels neighborhood in an investigation of an Islamic State recruitment network.

Brussels has a high proportion of citizens who travel to Iraq, insular Muslim communities that have helped shield jihadists, and security services that have had problems with their counterterrorism operations.

• Who did it?

No claims of responsibility have been reported.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
• Why Brussels?

In addition to being the seat of European Union government and the capital of Belgium, Brussels has become a focus of counterterrorism investigations, notably since the Paris attacks.

Officials have also been concentrating on a particular Brussels neighborhood in an investigation of an Islamic State recruitment network.

Brussels has a high proportion of citizens who travel to Iraq, insular Muslim communities that have helped shield jihadists, and security services that have had problems with their counterterrorism operations.

Molenbeek.

Belgium is a failed state – POLITICO

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
Failed state is clickbait - Typically "failed state" is reserved for places like Somalia and Syria.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Proximus (a belgian telecom company) has unlocked their service and is encouraging users to use it free of charge (through wifi primarily) to contact loved ones both in Belgium and abroad.

in North America, they shut it down.;)

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Something seems really off about this pic...the guy in black just seems so non-chalant that there's someone injured/bleeding on the ground.

"Nope sorry, can't stop now I have a flight to catch"

Last edited by a moderator:

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
What a day. We don't live in Brussels but Wouter works for the metro company, next to the Centraal Station. He rode past Maalbeek metro on his motorcycle not all that long after it had happened, he thought they were doing a disaster preparedness exercise.

I'm almost done at work, going to go pick up our daughter. How on earth am I going to explain that this happened at an airport she's been to so many times?

praktik

TRIBE Member
Something seems really off about this pic...the guy in black just seems so non-chalant that there's someone injured/bleeding on the ground.

"Nope sorry, can't stop now I have a flight to catch"
How should he be acting?

Dude you're reaching, a LOT

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
What a day. We don't live in Brussels but Wouter works for the metro company, next to the Centraal Station. He rode past Maalbeek metro on his motorcycle not all that long after it had happened, he thought they were doing a disaster preparedness exercise.

I'm almost done at work, going to go pick up our daughter. How on earth am I going to explain that this happened at an airport she's been to so many times?
I was thinking about you guys this morning when I saw the news. Glad to hear you're ok but very sorry this is happening.

I remember reading about how to talk to kids about this kind of thing - that focusing on the people who are helping is one way to go.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
IS militants changed the operation and moved it to Brussels "because of the detention of Salah Abdeslam" — the Paris attacks suspect arrested Friday in Brussels.
they accomplished this in 4 days.