1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Tenaglia Double Header @ Stereo - long & overdue

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by deevah, Aug 9, 2010.

1. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

My first trip back to Stereo since the pyro and renos and I REALLY appreciate what they've done with the club. It's like if Boa had paid attention to aesthetics - fairly pristine dancefloor, lots of seating room up above. Sound isn't quite comparable to the original but gets a good 8/10. Lights are unobstrusive but still enticing. For a gay club, only about 50% of the patrons were the shirtless car wash. Very apparent Straight side, Gay side on the dancefloor. The real wooden floor is bliss to dance on aside from the remnants of smuggled gum. CHILDREN - gum is banned in this place, if you're going to sneak it in, at least have the decency to throw it out in the bin m'kay?

Great staff at Stereo with a few miscues from the security (just because they seemed to switch positions often) but from entry to clean up, to bar staff - nothing but gratitude. I love the staff love it too - they came to dance with us after the duties were over. Only complaint is the VIP washroom was clearly designed for men...no sink/soap.

Nice to see some Toronto faces in the house over the 2 nights too.

Friday night:

DT was in warm up or actually more like practice mode. He kept the tone and bpms from going too far into "blow-your-mind" mode for too long. A lot of experimentation going on, barely any originals - mostly his own remixes and edits, a lot of Vinyl classics. Bringing back a lot of tunes played at the Score Classics party from Miami. A LOT of NYCers made the trip up - House of DTOUR represent! Revisited his rmx of Hamilton Buchanon's Let's Start the Dance and we all got down, WAY DOWN to the ground (cuz the situation is "you gotta get down, gotta get down, got get down, WELL!"). As one of the last tunes, replayed the flute track I mentioned in the WMC review - the flutist is Nestor Torres. Still unfinished but sounding much richer and more polished since March. Stopped me from walking off the dancefloor when I heard the intro to Ferrer's Ordinary Day but overlayed with Oscar G's "Back To You" vocal instead.

For me, it was less a dance-your-face-off set but more of a The-Maestro-is-Playing.

The spirit of 6 Hubert St was very much alive. He wrapped up about noon/1pm.

Sat night:

Full on DT assault. ANNIHILATED!

For those of us there the night before, there were a lot of repeats but we didn't mind because he turned up the throttle. They sounded different still from the night before. He's got a Paris is Burning tribute of The Realness - Shade accapella over Malcolm McClaren's OPULENCE - SWEETHEART, WITH THE CIGARETTE. YOU GIVING ME A BANJEE GIRL EFFECT! which was dropped several times throughout the 2 nights, mostly on Sat night. The part one original Be Yourself with the gospel intro had me lose my shit. Mashed Kraftwerk with Whitney's Dance with Somebody. Lula came out of the speakers. I love his cut on I:Cube's Pooh Pah which he's been playing often. He dug out his Vinyl edit of Janet Jackson's Pleasure Principle. Some Vanessa Daou in there too. He brought back the GAGA even though he said in NYC he'd retire it unless she contact him...maybe she did? :)

The night ended in shenanigans as only a true Be Yourself party can. He played straight from his Choice Collection of Classics CD - Make it Right into Elevation to come down and dance with us. The 40-45 of us left at 2:45pm lined up to form a Rockette line. BRING THE CUNT BACK! "Ballz in your mouth" was revisited with us and DT singing harmony. There was laughing until we were holding our faces b/c our cheeks hurt. He wrapped up at 3.

The good news - DT had a mic on the dancefloor and recorded both nights in its entirety, including the sounds of the clubgoers and DT's speeches. The bad news - it'll never be released to the public in its entirety and most certainly, not the last few hours of Sat night/Sun Aftn.

He mentioned over and over again how jealous he was that the vibe/space at Stereo exists in so few places now. He had a blast and I think we're on the verge of a residency being announced. His head, my head, we're all still tethered to Stereo.

p.s. I had to submit my timesheet and I clocked 23.5 hrs of dancefloor time over the 2 nights. I was not the weiner (think tied for 3rd or 4th).

2. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

holy shit.

3. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

wha?

4. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

re: your time put in on the dancefloor this weekend

5. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

:cool:
    and I still didn't win! lost only by 1-1.5hr, max 2

Chemical free baby - music is my drug and DT is my pusher! :D Cup of coffee, a few puffs, feed me when I ask and I'm good to go!

Mind you I crashed for 12 hrs straight after Fri with 7-10 people coming in and out of the loft...3 in my bed. I bolted up when someone said "Danny's playing already" and hustled my ass to get dressed. Had I been awake otherwise, I would've definitely been able to clock a couple more hrs. Foiled by sleep.

6. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

nice review!

I was in Montreal that weekend but couldn't convince others to hit it up.

7. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

thanks for reviewing!

8. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

Great review D! Yours was the one I was looking forward to.