• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Temporary video card?

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
There is something really wrong with my BFG Geforce 6800GT graphics card. After talking to tech support they told me to send it in so they can either replace it or fix it. In any event it could take up to 4 weeks, so I need something to send a signal to my monitor.

I only have PCI and PCI-express connections and my asus motherboard does not have built-in graphics. I think my only option is to buy a cheap pci-e card from Tiger/factory direct until I get my GF6800 back. Can I mess my PC up by putting in a cheap card, or is there any other way of getting around this?

Thanks,

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Redout

TRIBE Member
Do you have an on board vid card?

You're better off waiting for the 6800 to come back to you. Anything less then that vid card is just a waste of money.

Or you can pick up an ATI 9800 series (used) for about $100-$150 but then again are you willing to spend that kind of cash just so you can have a card for a few weeks?

Try redflagdeals.com

Good luck

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
Redout said:
Do you have an on board vid card?

You're better off waiting for the 6800 to come back to you. Anything less then that vid card is just a waste of money.

Or you can pick up an ATI 9800 series (used) for about $100-$150 but then again are you willing to spend that kind of cash just so you can have a card for a few weeks?

Try redflagdeals.com

Good luck

thanks,

no on board video. I was thinking about buying another geforce 6 and maybe making it SLI.

randyval

TRIBE Member
TrIbAlNuT said:
There is something really wrong with my BFG Geforce 6800GT graphics card. After talking to tech support they told me to send it in so they can either replace it or fix it. In any event it could take up to 4 weeks, so I need something to send a signal to my monitor.

I only have PCI and PCI-express connections and my asus motherboard does not have built-in graphics. I think my only option is to buy a cheap pci-e card from Tiger/factory direct until I get my GF6800 back. Can I mess my PC up by putting in a cheap card, or is there any other way of getting around this?

Thanks,
you will not screw up your PC by adding a new card (as long as you properly remove all drivers and uninstall your previous card)
use "drivercleaner" after you are done uninstalling, then shut down and add the new card.
(you will have to do the same when you get your old card back.
here is a couple of options for a cheap temp card.
Asus EAX1300/TD ATI Radeon X1300 Chipset(450MHz) 128Mb DDR(500MHz) 64 Bit DVI-I TV-Out 16 Lanes PCI Express Graphics Card $78.99
or
Asus EN6200TC 256/TD GeForce 6200 64MB Support 256MB w/ TurboCache Technology $54.99

i got the prices from canadacomputers.

OR you can go to active surplus and grab a cheap ATI rage pro 128 16MB pci card for like $10, and you wont have to worry about drivers and conflicts.
you just wont be playing any games either :p

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders