• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

temp agency you've had the best results with

rowla

TRIBE Member
as the thread title states, i'm looking to get sorted out with an agency that has proven itself to the masses.

help. i'm fuckin' broke here. (no one cares, i know)

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I've never found an agency that has helped. There are tribers that work for some I'm sure they'll be along to help :)

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
i used to work for an agency - not handling temp, however.

what exactly are you looking for? gone are the days that you can walk into an agency and expect that to be the full extent of your job search.

sauce

TRIBE Member
What up Jay,

How was London?

Anyways i got my job through a friend that worked for Apple One,
and Kristin got hers through a friend at Quantum. Quantum took a while to get her something solid but they had her doing short term things while they were finding something perminent.

Anyways give me a call, she's going out with her frinds on Sat i think, we should hook up.

peace

sauce

rowla

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Libradragon
i used to work for an agency - not handling temp, however.

what exactly are you looking for? gone are the days that you can walk into an agency and expect that to be the full extent of your job search.

i'm looking for something in the planning/engineering field.
i've got school and experience.
i'm looking for part-time or contract as i think i'm taking off over seas for the summer.
right now though, i'de take any kind of job.
except for all the nasty jobs that have been listed before in the "worst jobs ever" threads.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rowla

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sauce
What up Jay,

How was London?

Anyways i got my job through a friend that worked for Apple One,
and Kristin got hers through a friend at Quantum. Quantum took a while to get her something solid but they had her doing short term things while they were finding something perminent.

Anyways give me a call, she's going out with her frinds on Sat i think, we should hook up.

peace

sauce

'sup man,

i'll be around saturday, i got fuck else goin' on.
let me know if they're hiring at your place would ya?

talk with ya later.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Randstad

Quantum Interviewed me then never returned any of my calls. They were nice enough to call me and wish me a Merry Christmas though

MY g/f scored an awesome job with Adecco within 2 weeks.

DaSilva.........a small firm (probably haven't hear dof it) did nothing but screw me over.

I had replies from Hunt and WorkWare or something like that, but nuthing ever developed.

Randstand got me a position in Novartis, and I'm extactic to be here :D (except for the fact that they do animal testing :()

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Maybe somebody who's familiar with agencies can answer this question for me. How long after I send in my resume should I expect to hear from the recruitment agent? I mean just to speak to them in more detail, not necessarily have a position already. I called an agency the other day, spoke to an agent, and she said to send her my resume; haven't heard from her since though.

echootje

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SneakyPete
Maybe somebody who's familiar with agencies can answer this question for me. How long after I send in my resume should I expect to hear from the recruitment agent? I mean just to speak to them in more detail, not necessarily have a position already. I called an agency the other day, spoke to an agent, and she said to send her my resume; haven't heard from her since though.

Whatever they say, you gotta nag them.

Rob

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
I've had good experiences with ManPower.

That's how I got the job I have now and I've had 3 others prior to this one.

I hear they sort of suck now though. I haven't been to them in 3 years.

echootje

TRIBE Member
Personally, I've been through the temp cycle longer than I'm willing to admit, I've used Pinstripe and then Adecco and both were pretty good to me.

Give them a try. But you have to bug them, sometimes your resume just doesn't show up on whatever ghetto software they use so you gotta call them, have them look at your rez and find something open at that very moment.

Rob

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rowla
thanks for the feedback folks.

stupid question: what sort of fee do they charge?

It's not really a fee, they just take a percentage of your wage, something like 3-5%.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Pinstripe gets you crappy crappy crappy jobs. I was with them for quite a while and worked a lot of crqappy crappy jobs.

I got my job through TDS Personnel, they were awesome to me, I can't reccommend them enough.

I have a friend who works at Apple One though, so I should say good things about them though I've never used them.

In hte same vein, does anyone know of any angencies that are specifically good for part-time evening/weekend work (i.e. student jobs?) Most seem to cater to the 9 to 5 set.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Maybe somebody who's familiar with agencies can answer this question for me. How long after I send in my resume should I expect to hear from the recruitment agent?

after sending in your resume - this is what you can do: send an email/call to say you're following up on your resume and would like to come in to discuss personally.

First of all - AGENCIES ARE ALL THE SAME - it's the recruiter you deal with that will make the difference.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that using agencies SHOULD BE ONE of the many ways you're using to find a job. THEY'RE NOT THE BE-ALL-END-ALL of your search.

Also, recruiters tend to work on a reactive basis - whatever jobs are given to them to fill by the agency's clients -- those are the ones they're gonna try and fill first - that's how they make their money. If you don't qualify for the jobs they're working on, it's quite possible they won't call you back -- unless you politely follow up with them to let them know that you're still available - that can be done ONCE a week.

NAGGIING THEM CAN WORK AGAINST YOU - again, this depends on the style of the recruiter you are dealing with. Ask them how they'd like to follow up from here.

ALSO, i hate to say this - but be realistic with the jobs you're applying for - look at your qualifications - look at your motivation - keep in mind that AGENCIES aren't charging YOU (the jobseeker) anything for their service - they are charging CLIENTS - meaning they have to justify the fee by sending in the best candidates.

RECRUITMENT has changed A LOT in the last 5 years - the surgence of internet recruiting has vastly affected the number of clients using agencies, ex-recruiters/headhunters are contractring themselves out to WORK DIRECTLY for the clients - AS A RESULT, employment agencies are not getting ANY general job orders to fill - only specific industry-related jobs (i.e. actuarial analysts, claims adjusters, etc etc) are getting passed on to agencies.

TEMP , however, will always be around. If you're looking for a temp job - MAKE SURE YOUR AVAILABILITY to work IS FLEXIBLE - make sure the number you provide them is a number where they can easily reach you. Most temp recruiters have a small window of time (usually hours) to send in a person - if you're on the top of their list and you don't answer your phone, they move on to the next person on their list without hesitation.

Anyone else with any questions? I'll be happy to address them.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
I have worked with most agencies in the city (no joke).... LibraD is right, the days are gone where you can bust in, do the testing, and be out on an assignment a few days later.

I can't stand dealing with agencies now, I've found the market is way too competitive, I've had to interview for 2-3 month temp assignments at the entry level... too much bullshit for me.

I'm actually working through an agency right now but just for the next few weeks ('till I get hired on YEAH! haven't had a permanent salary-type job in 2-3 years!) ... anyways, I'm with Options Personnel. They're really good, the consultants are awesome!

cheers,

le kid

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by PRIMAL
It's not really a fee, they just take a percentage of your wage, something like 3-5%.

NO THEY DO NOT TAKE A PERCENTAGE OF YOUR WAGE.

1. if it's temp - a markup fee is tacked onto the going rate. But all this is decided BEFORE a job is given to the agency. Agency will negotiate the markup fee with the client based on volume of orders, etc. Note that YOU ARE ON THE AGENCY's PAYROLL as a temp - company doesn't have to worry about payroll and benefits since the agency takes on that role - hence the MARKUP FEE. A company can say "i need a receptionist tomorrow" and the agency WILL have that person in - hence the markup fee. Company is then charged $20 dollars an hour for every hour you work - you are paid the standard - $13'hour. the 7 dollars goes to agency for cost of recruiting you, payroll administration etc.

2. if it's full time - a contingency fee is decided upon BEFORE the agency is given a job. An additional fee (e.g. 15%) is the cost and that is ON TOP of your salary. If your salary is 40K, know that the company that hired you paid the agency 15% of 40K for finding you. IT'S CONTINGENT - meaning company only pays after you're hired. So the recruiters HAVE TO FIND THE BEST candidate in order to get paid.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Every agency will have good and bad jobs, every agency will have ppl praising them - and ppl bashing them. Like I said, go with the consultants that made you feel comfortable - the agency they come from doesn't really matter anymore.

If you want the best advice - go with internet recruiting - ALL THE AGENCIES USE the databases of workopolis, monster, and hotjobs to source out people, AND the companies themselves are also online.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Kid
I'm with Options Personnel. They're really good, the consultants are awesome!

cheers,

le kid

I've heard good things about Options Personnel. Did they only contacted you when they had a position for you? They never paired me up with an agent, just they said they'll call me when they have a position for me.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Lysistrata

In hte same vein, does anyone know of any angencies that are specifically good for part-time evening/weekend work (i.e. student jobs?) Most seem to cater to the 9 to 5 set.

i don't think there are any - No one will pay an agency to find them part time or student jobs. they go to HRDC for that - coz it's free.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
I've heard good things about Options Personnel. Did they only contacted you when they had a position for you? They never paired me up with an agent, just they said they'll call me when they have a position for me.

If you don't mind doing this - i'd be happy to look at your resume - maybe i can provide you with the right consultant (i know quite a few) that can shed some light as to the steps you need to take.

I loved my old job as a headhunter - i really do - so i don't mind taking a look.

JMan

TRIBE Member
The key to remember is that the agency is paid by the company, so that's who they are working for... finding you a job is not their priority, it's servicing their clients.

I'd suggest using a number of recruiters, and doing all the traditional stuff.

JMan

The Kid

TRIBE Member

I kind of got lucky... I called them a couple days after registering with them to let them know my job (at the time) had cut a few days off my schedule for that week and that I was available for any short term stuff... they called back to say they had a temp. to perm. inside sales position, did an interview over the phone later that day, and started two weeks later...!

PM me and I'll give you the name of a couple consultants to call there, they're both really nice, and I'm a pretty good refence (they love my ass!) :)

le kid